October 21, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Six of One - VIDEO

by Keith McDuffee, posted Apr 11th 2008 11:06PM
bsg
(S04E02) Let me start out by saying that Sci Fi airing these episodes online at noon is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing that we all get to see our favorite show well ahead of time. It's a curse because it's smack in the middle of a workday for some (though at lunchtime) and at the start of a workday for others. There's no pausing or rewinding, so if you get a bad connection or miss something, you still need to tune in that night to keep up. Not that that's such a bad thing, really, but man it's frustrating.

The second thing I wanted to get out of the way concerns one of the polls from last week, where I asked if you wanted a chat this week (yes, yes, I will get to the review in a minute). The poll was really, really close, with more people wanting the chat than not. However, I think it might be a bad idea for a couple of reasons, most important dealing with what I just mentioned regarding the noon showing. I'm concerned we'll have jerks ruining things for everyone with spoilers, for example. I'm still open to hearing what you all have to say about it in the comments, though.

I forgot to note last week about one important part of Starbuck's story, how she seems to think she's been away for only hours while, to everyone else, she's been gone for months. With that in mind, besides the strange Earth cramps she's been having, she's been acting odd for someone who thinks she's been gone for such a short time. Even the point when she approaches Apollo is strange. I can't wait to see the reveal of what really happened to her, whether she was caught in some sort of wormhole or if she really blacked out for such a long time.

Sticking with Starbuck, is the consensus from everyone that Roslin purposely missed when she shot at her? It certainly looked like she had every intention of taking her out, and it could be that her complications from cancer are what caused her to not see straight and miss. Then again, maybe she's just a really poor shot; it's not as if she's done a good job handling a weapon before. She is one self-righteous crazy person, and I was glad to see Bill put her in her place.

I'm betting that more than quite a few of you guys reading this were thanking the gods for your DVR's rewind and pause capability during the Grace Park dancing scene. In fact, you're probably watching it again right now, aren't you? Yeah, you know who you are.

When I saw the promos for this episode, I knew already what was going to happen, since it was the Cylon meeting table scene that I got a peek at during the BSG set visit last year. This scene spells out one of the larger themes of this final season, probably the entire series. "This has happened before, and will happen again." Those words are reflected in what Cavil was trying to do with the Raiders.

But doesn't it seem a bit too convenient? It makes sense that this would happen, but now it's slapped us over the head, just like that, within one episode. Shouldn't this have been something we'd see throughout maybe the last season or two? The Raiders are acting up, Cavil decides they need configuring and that they're "tools" that do their bidding, and boom -- it's like humans to the skin-jobs.

As for the four newly-revealed Cylons, why are they so hell bent on finding the last Cylon? Is it because they can use this last "person" as a scapegoat of sorts, throwing everyone off their scent by throwing him or her to the dogs? What do the four hope to gain by meeting together all the time, in secret? Gods, even Tory took one for the team, though it seems she's not feeling all that bad about it.

I'm not sure what to make of Lee leaving the Galactica, but I'm a sucker for the familiar Adama Celtic music. Gets me right there, I tell ya. I imagine we'll see Lee working his legal mojo, only to be dragged back into battle at least one last time before all's said and done.

During Lee's farewell scene, I was reminded of how easily a Model 8 Cylon is able to walk amongst the rest of the crew, skip-happy and smiling all the way. Is this something Saul and the other three have thought of yet, that they could possibly be somewhat overlooked should they come forward and let it be known what they experienced? What more do they have to do to be "cleared" as really being the good guys like Athena has been?

It was good to see the scenes with Bill and Kara, both the hostile and the friendly. It shows that Bill definitely has a father-daughter bond with Kara, where there are major ups and there are major downs. We saw this with Bill and Lee, and commenters even made note of how quickly Bill got over his issues with Lee and the court case.

One last thing: what the heck can they recycle sewage for?

Current fleet population: 39,676

Quote of the episode:

Cavil: "Centurions can't vote, Six."
Number 6: "Oh they're not here to vote. Cavil."

Second best quote of the episode:

Number 6: "The telencephalic inhibitor that restricts higher functions in Centurions. We had them removed."
Cavil: "Say what?!"
Did Roslin miss Starbuck on purpose?
Yes397 (50.5%)
No389 (49.5%)

BigT

For starters, it has been said that the title, "Six of one" refers to the old saying "six of one, half dozen of another" which indeed means two things that are the same. In this case, I think it was telling us that Cylons and Humanity are "six of one..."

I just want to add to some of the rampant speculation. The marketing was not lying about the fact that revelations were coming, but the tricky thing is, they led us to believe that the revelation was the identity of the 5th of the "Final 5". Instead, the clues that they are leaving are starting to reveal the real truth.

In "Razor", the special hybrid said that this has happened before and it will happen again. In the most recent episode, we see the biggest clues about what that means in the Cylon civil war. All along, we have seen the Cylons become more and more like the humans. At first, the similarities were positive. They sought love... a higher power... the power to procreate... physical stimulation... free will...

We now see that the Cylons are starting to take on the darker traits of humanity: Infighting, betrayal, power struggles, politics, violence and most importantly a sense of entitlement. "Humans" created Cylons as tools. Now we hear the Cylons refer to the raiders and centurions as tools. Physically, the Cylons hae been near indistinguishable from Humans since the beginning. Now it becoming clear that that is because they really are not that different.

But if the people we first met on the twelve colonies as "humans" were the offspring of someone else's robots, then when did this cycle begin? And if we consider the humans to be v2.0, is it possible that the rogue cylons from "Razor" were actually v1.0?

Did anyone else notice how the scene where #6 stands there while the Centurions cut down her fellow Cylons had an eerie feeling of Deja Vu with the scene where #6 originally started the latest war on the human space station?

The endless cycle started with someone organic, but since then has been a muddied loop. The organics build robots as tools. The robots get smart and resist being tools. They revolt against their creators. They strive to be like their creators. They become indistinguishable from their creators. They mate with their creators to differentiate the race from the original designs. They build robots as tools...

Cool concept if that's what the writers are thinking.

April 16 2008 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Ok...

So, all this episode really did was just open up a bunch of questions for me.

First, best part of the episode? Apollo and Dee... Closure, baby!!! Done with, no more!

During my rewatch, all I could think of was getting to call Doral the "Kevin Spacey Cylon" just to twist Akbar's tail, but it really got me thinking about the significance of names vs the numbers amongst the Cylons. Is there a reason why sometimes they'd use one and not the other (and I don't mean for the sake of conversation). It was specifically the beginning of the last conversation between the "Al" Cylon (Went there) and Six where they specifically referred to each other as Cavil and Six. Why have the Sixes never received an arbitrary name? Dorals, Sharons, Simons, Leobens.... Hell, even the "Xena" Cylon (had to...) was referred to as "the one they call D'Anna by Anders tonight. I don't know (I doubt, actually) that there is any significance, but all the talk about names in the episode got me thinking.

So, Lee's gone from Galatica... We got two good scenes, both the party and the departure (Who was that in the beginning of the party... I know it was Celix... Racetrack?). The party, specifically the tradition, was pretty cool, because you know that has to be based on some true ritual somewhere. The departure scene was pretty powerful, too... I can't remember who mentioned it here first (Keith?) but the Adama theme music is outstanding (I'm sure the Irish enjoy their music being used in tribute to an Englishman, but alas).

Lee's departure begs a more interesting question. What (and why) will he be doing now? I think we've answered the what with the teases to the government. My question, is will RDM now to play up the "West Galatica?" (Yeah, that one just died.... I thought about "the Starboard Wing," but that didn't work either). Storylines that play into Lee's position in the government worry me at this point in the course of the show. I think that spending the time creating that world takes away from other things that we as the views have invested ourselves in at this point. But hey, I'm the guy that liked Black Market, so what do you want? (Good thing I've gotten past my tendency in the West Wing days of just abbreviating episode names... BM jokes to follow).

The Baltar/Tory storyline is making more interested in Baltar's story. Tory was offended by the concept of sleeping with him, but did so anyways. The Baltar-In-Head brings up some interesting questions.... Unfortunately, I'd always kind of hoped that we never got an explanation for Six-In-Head, leaving it to our imagination, but it looks like that might not be the case.

So... Did anyone else get the impression that Roslin was waiting for her husband to come home drunk so they could fight? Wait, what?? You're telling me they don't live together? You coulda fooled me tonight. So, I've finally gotten used to the idea that Roslin will probably die soon (and by soon I mean sometime right before or right after the series finale)... Which sucks for me, because I'm so totally a happy ending kinda guy (So is Tim-1, and this week's episode worked out really well for him).

RDM hasn't made me care enough about all of the stuff going on with the Cylon's yet. I'm intrigued, but I don't care. I haven't invested enough with any of the characters over there to care how it works out. Except for maybe Cavil. He's fun. I watched the original as a kid, but don't remember it very well, but Cavil reminds me of what my impression of Baltar was in the original.... For those that watched it more, am I way off base?

I do like how they answered (Or really opened another question) by addressing the Raider's retreat after making the connection with Anders.... At least we now know that it wasn't some kind of instruction passing type message.

And finally, to my Starbuck (Since Cally wasn't really in the episode, my favorite character status slides back to Starbuck). I like that the Adama's both stated that they believed in her (Lee more believed her, the Admiral more believed IN her). I'm surprised about her getting the ship in this manner. Am I the only one who thinks that you could have put her and someone (don't get me started about the choice of putting Helo with her) on a Raptor, and we could have figured out if she was telling the truth in like , two episodes? (Wait, what...? Oh, you've got to tell a story? Good point...)

I'd like to state for the record that I'd like to kick RDM's butt... Directing an episode is not reason enough to miss one podcast, and losing your recording equipment is not enough reason to miss the second! (Ok, it really is, but, you know, I don't feel like cutting him a break on this one :)

I'm with Keith.. Line of the night had to be, "They

April 15 2008 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dorv's comment
bsgfan2003

I think Lee's character will be asking the big questions about religious freedom.

Yeah, where is Akbar? We are running amok!!
Akbar: Where is your sense of duty?

April 15 2008 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
III

I now know the identity of the last Cylon.

It is not Roslyn . . .

It is not any member of the Adama family, living or dead . .

It is not Starbuck . . .

It is not Gaeda . . .

It is not Baltar . . .

It is someone we have not yet seen, but from whom we have "heard" in more than one episode . . .

It's . . .

It's . . .

It's . . .

Bob Dylan.

He is on Earth, and his song is calling to his fellow Cylons. The four recently revealed Cylons will help to lead the way here to Earth.

(Really, does anyone believe that he is fully human?)

April 14 2008 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mia

I think that Baltar will become what we conceptualize as Jesus. I mean, look how he looks with the whole beard thing going on. He's the leader of a monotheistic movement praising the one god. And Gauis will die (because he has too) which will lend itself to myth and the emergence of Christianity on Earth.

My huge problem with this season so far is what they are doing with Roslin. She's a kick-ass woman and all she's doing this season is dying. The writers didnt let that stop her in seasons 1 or 2, so why now. She had her role cut back a bit in season 3, but even more so now. And this saddens me a whole lot.

April 14 2008 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mia's comment
bsgfan2003

In my view, he seems to be more of a prophet. He's patently a sinner. He's not saying he's the son of God. He talks to an Angel, not God. And he sure seems like a polygamist.

April 14 2008 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

The Baltar that appeared to Baltar ... isn't that the "perfect version" of Baltar that Caprica Six sees in her mind ... much like the "perfect version" of Six that Baltar sees, usually, in his mind?

I also find it interesting that Boomer ... who didn't know, originally, that she was a cylon acts more like a cylon than Athena who originally did know that she was a model 8.

also ... can someone remind me ... did they kill all of the old-style cylons that the Galactica found in deep space? or are they still going to reappear again?

April 13 2008 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gordon Werner's comment
bsgfan2003

From what I've read, I think it's likely.

April 13 2008 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
parn1401

If I remember correctly we don't see Roslin pull the trigger but only hear the shot. Starbuck comments about Roslin's 'visions' and how Starbuck followed those visions. I think that resonates with Roslin and causes her to doubt her own convictions. When she fired were her eyes closed, was she lowering the gun when it went off, something else? I have to think that the reason we don't see exactly what happens means that there must be something that will come up later.

One thing I have been wondering about is how all this fits in to what has been said on the show (and more specifically on the 'special' that aired - razor I think) about Starbuck being the harbringer of doom for humanity. I really like what they have done so far.

April 13 2008 at 6:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I'm coming to the thinking that Earth exists but humanity on it died out a long, long time ago. This series is set in the far-off future.

We humans never managed to leave Earth and explore the stars. Humanity was dying out for some reason. (Think of a scenario like the movie Children of Men.) So humanity sent out probes, ferrying the DNA of humans and some animals, to find hospitable planets where humans could be re-created.

I'll even elaborate further with this theory: Earth launched 12 probes -- each named after a Greek god. The probes were run with an AI system that was the precursor to Cylon AI.

Back on Earth, an archive to humanity's history and a homing beacon was set up, so that the descendants of Earth (the Colonials) could one day find Earth.

April 13 2008 at 6:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Franklin's comment
Ro

Franklin, how about this? To keep with the theme "all of this has happened before, and it will happen again..." What if Earthly humanity was killed off by the original evolution of the cylons back on earth OR global disaster. I don't know if you listen to Ron Moore's podcast, but he said something about his writers trying to shock him in one of his scripts with an opening of someone smoking a joint, then the camera pulls back and it's Tigh at Woodstock...while that was just a joke, it wouldn't be funny if it was completely off base and irrelevant. So I think that the final 5 were the sheperds that were in charge of resettling humanity elsewhere...then, history repeated itself with the 12 colonies. If you think about it, regardless of metaphysics and visions, our heroes just have too much information and laid clues about a 13th group of pioneers who decided to travel forth and find a new home...

April 13 2008 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

im more inclined to think that the final model has always been self aware... so bites me who it is :)

April 13 2008 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Unbelievably good episode!!! Tricia Helfer was the best part of this episode. Her scenes were intense and she's so strong and beautiful.

OK. Here is my theory.
Lee is leaving so he can eventually run for, and become, president when Roslin dies. Then they will find earth and lee will be revealed to be the final Cylon. In a previous episode one of the cylons told Roslin that "Adama is a cylon". I think it will be Lee and he will lead the survivors of the human race and the survivors of the coming cylon civil war together in peace on earth.

April 12 2008 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan's comment
Phish

no that cant be it! i'm not saying that lee couldnt possibly be a cylon, its just that none of the other cylons know who the final 5 are.

they werent even allowed to discuss it, and d'anna got boxed trying to see the faces of the final 5.

if they had known adama was a cylon, means they know who the final 5 are, which contradicts the whole plot so far.

April 14 2008 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HDTV Guy

Well I missed something...what revealing scene with Boomer? I assumed it was the party when Lee drank to Galactica and such but that wasnt it...

I wouldnt be surprised if Lee ended up as President after Roslyn -

I'm less concerned with who the final cylon is and more interested in earth. Our Earth? if so when...a 100,000 years ago, the present or from our distant future?

April 12 2008 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply