November 29, 2014

Mrs. Ted Mosby? Chalke may return to HIMYM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 11th 2008 1:02PM

Sarah Chalke and Josh RadnorNot to knock on How I Met Your Mother, because I love it, but we sure are reading about it a lot lately, huh? It's sort of like being one of those people that liked a band before it got popular. I was big supporter of HIMYM in the BBS (Before Britney Spears) era, and now "the little sitcom that could" is all anyone is writing about.

While the show has enjoyed up and down ratings over the course of its 2 1/2 season run, the return from the WGA Strike saw it post its biggest numbers ever with a guest appearance from that chick who used to be married to K-Fed. The same ep featured Scrubs' Sarah Chalke as a dermatologist who removed Ted's butterfly tattoo. Now comes word from Ausiello that Chalke may be coming back.

Much like Neil Patrick Harris' objections to Brit Brit having another shot, I'm against the return of Chalke 100%.

In Chalke's first appearance as Stella, we found out that she was in attendance at the same St. Patrick's Day party that Ted and Barney went to. She had to leave early, perhaps in a rush, and that led to speculation that she could very well be the owner of the yellow umbrella that got left behind and Ted found. So of course the big question is, could she be the mother? The Mrs. Ted Mosby?

I really hope not.

The way I see it, the second we find out who the mother is, the show begins to suffer. While HIMYM has arguably gone on a tangent where guest stars are now common fodder (James Van Der Beek is the next on the list), I will admit that I don't immediately think of Chalke and "huge star" in the same sentence. Other than Scrubs, Roseanne, and those annoying Hanes commercials where she keeps getting a wedgie, I don't really associate her with anything else. So that's one thing in her favor. The casting doesn't feel like a stunt to me.

Now, I remember reading somewhere that there had been some gentle nudging from CBS execs for Bays and Thomas to start shedding some light on the show's big maternal mystery, but here's what I'm hoping. If Chalke does return and hints are dropped, I pray that she's just a red herring. If she isn't, then I think the show really loses a key dynamic; mainly, Ted as we know him. If Ted couples up this early in the game with his future wife, and HIMYM goes on for another two or three seasons, they simply won't be as good. The schemes with Barney, the camaraderie at McLaren's, and that yearning feeling we feel for Ted, are all lost.

There have been numerous comparisons, pitting this show as the "new" Friends. If we find out who the mother is now, HIMYM won't be like Friends. It will be Friends - a pretty decent and usually funny sitcom where you know who's in love with who and the big payoff is a happy finale with babies and weddings.

Now I realize that you can argue that is the payoff for this show, Ted getting married and what not; that can still be achieved. I'm just trying to outline the clear distinction about finding out who his wife is now versus in another season or two. If it is Chalke, it just feels too convenient; too easy, to me. I said she isn't a huge star, and with Scrubs ending next season - she's a perfect fit. As an experienced sitcom actress, she fits the role and could guest star a few more times this season, then slide into a series regular spot mid-season four. See what I mean though? Easy. I guest I just want more mystery. "Your mom was my dermatologist back in the day" just doesn't sound like something we'd hear from Future Ted's mouth.

Darcy

I I too hope that Chalke is NOT the "mother"---- And I really hope it isn't Robin either.... I'd rather it be Abby... and not just coz I like seeing Britney get work. Seriously, I agree with the original post--- and the show will be disappointing if it turns out to be someone so clearly "perfect" right away for Ted...

May 12 2008 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Given how CBS is waffling, I'm hoping that they've shot an episode revealing the Mother sort of like the way Jericho shot two endings, one if the series was picked up and one if CBS pulled the plug.

Somehow Carter & Bays telling us on their web site who the Mother was going to be just won't be as satisfying, and I have no faith in CBS doing the right thing as far as HIMYM is concerned.

April 15 2008 at 7:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ray

sarah chalke was on roseanne? huh and WHAT!? :)

i still love her above all other characters :)

April 11 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamiesen

I highly highly doubt that Stella is the mother. The mother can't and won't be reveled until the very end of the series. As stated in the article the show loses a huge angle if they reveal who the mother is and keep the show going for a season or two. All those so called "clues" and "hints like the girl Ted bumps into at the bar, Stella saying she went to a party on St. Patrick's Day, they are all red herrings. Bays and Thomas are smart guys, know that their core fans are smart and pay attention to the details. So called "hints" like that make the fans go crazy in speculation and they probably are just laughing at how people believe them.

The show needs to end the moment Ted meets the mother, goes back to the couch so Future Ted can end it by saying "And that's the story of how I met your mother". Though I wouldn't be surprised if after telling the story, the mother comes in and wants to either hear the story again or tell her side of the story, with the series ending right as she's about to tell it.

April 11 2008 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

If you think the show would suffer once the mother is found out, then clearly it is a low quality show. A high quality show would not have to rely so blatantly on a gimmick. But hey, if you really want something, after the mother is revealed they could just change the name of the show to "How I knocked up your mother" or something like that.

April 11 2008 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rolando

stella can not the mother cause in season 1 the episode where ted barney and robin spend thanksgiving at the strip club, the stripper that Ted was talking to at then end said her name was amber, then her real name was tracy, then future Ted said "and thats how i met your mother", so i assume there that the mothers name is Tracy

April 11 2008 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darwinwins

Jesus Christ, it's 3 seasons in. When the hell do you want the mother character to pop in? And Chalke is a quality actress.

April 11 2008 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

The only problem I have is Ted is telling his kids these women's names (except for "blah blah") so if one of them were the mother they would spot it.

Oh and I still think Ted is divorced in the future. Would be the perfectly bitter irony needed for such a romantic fool like Ted.

April 11 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

She already has a daughter. That leads me to believe she isn't it. But that's based on the assumption that both kids in the "narrative" sequences are biologically Ted's.

April 11 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jill

Like Jonathan said in his last paragraph, it would be too boring if Stella's the Mother. Keith, Merv, and Jesse, I like your ideas.

April 11 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply