September 21, 2014

My Name is Earl: Stole a Motorcycle - VIDEO

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 11th 2008 10:01AM

Eddie Steeples(S03E16) "This is what someone told me reading a book is like." - Randy Hickey

I really can't decide if the writers for Earl are geniuses or drunks. Right when people start to complain that the show is getting stale they take it in a new direction that no one could see coming and yet is perfectly believable.

A big part of why I love this show is seeing the flashbacks where Earl was a complete reprobate. Even better is seeing Randy as the same kind of reprobate and yet just as simple. Joy, of course, remains exactly the same, no matter where or when she is, even if she's only in Earl's imagination.

The other sign that the guys who write this show are brilliant is that they have now figured out how to get away with only writing half a TV show.

Think about it. The scripts for The Hickeys are just old sitcom devices, so all they have to do is come up with a new list item, a great flashback and a funny way for Randy, Joy or someone else to help Earl's karma. GENIUS!

Another great thing about Earl being in a coma is that it gives the supporting characters more chances to shine. Let's face it, as "fine" an actor as Jason Lee is, it's the supporting cast that make this show. I'm partial to Crabman myself.

The scene in the Shriner meeting had to be my favorite. If you haven't checked out my TV Squad profile, now is a good time. I had an uncle who was a Shriner and I always thought how weird it was that an old man and his old friends dressed like idiots and drove little cars. Like all of us kids, I wanted desperately to drive his little car but we all knew that if we did, it would be the last anyone ever saw of us. You never cross a Shriner.

While Randy was "murdering" Earl, it occurred to me that the relationship between the two brothers has always been sort of a lighthearted version of Of Mice and Men. To be honest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Randy had a little graveyard somewhere in the trailer park filled with animals that died from "too much love."

Usually, I am all for guest stars in Earl, however, the Teutuls were about as funny as they were when they made their appearance on King of the Hill, at least there they were supposed to be two-dimensional. There's nothing sadder than a reality star who rises to his own level of uninterestingness. Just ask Mike Boogie.

For the most part, I enjoyed this episode and it was certainly better than last week. If I'm being honest, though, as long as they keep thinking of ways to make Alyssa Milano look sexy, I will keep tuning in. I mean, one week she's doing old school aerobics, this week she's pregnant. Are they going to eventually hit every fetish that exists? I certainly hope so!

Who is the sexiest member of the cast?
Alyssa Milano98 (32.5%)
Jaime Pressly55 (18.2%)
Nadine Velazquez133 (44.0%)
Billy Gardell16 (5.3%)

nickmagoo

the only thing i really enjoyed about the hickeys segments (other than an adorable alyssa in hot 50s outfits) is the thoroughly AWESOME mid century furniture...although it will be interesting to see the "real" side breaking through the coma little by little...i did like the pre-list earl and randy escapades.

April 11 2008 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

I agree with RC. They need to get back to the list. It lets them bring in interesting characters each week, introduce more of the town and really drives better stories. I found the last 2 episodes to be pretty week in comedy and not up to the level of the rest of Earl.

April 11 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

I loved this episode, it was funny and clever too. I am really enjoying the Coma thingy, and I always love the flashbacks. It was funny seeing them retrace Randy's drunken rage. I especially liked the "Clap panties" bit. I'm glad to have Earl back...and Alyssa Milano looked incredibly sexy, even if she was "pregnant".

April 11 2008 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

The first season was great with Earl doing list items. Did we really need to throw that formula out after the first season? The only bright star of second season was Craig T Nelson (which subsequently caused me to start recording Coach on my DVR). Now that the prison thing is over with we have this horrible 50s sitcom. What was so wrong with how things were going first season?

April 11 2008 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RC's comment
Franklin

I also enjoyed the "list item of the week", but maybe rather than going back to the list every week, at least visit it more often. I always hoped that since Craig T. Nelson was such a perfect addition to the cast that may be once Earl was released that he'd be offered a job as the warden's assistant. That way we could keep Mr. Nelson, have Earl on the outside, and still visit some prision stories, which were pretty funny. Earl *does* need a job and he was good at helping the warden.

April 11 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I still don't like The Hickeys. The rest of the episode was great, and I think it could have been even better as a regular episode with Earl and Randy trying to reconstruct the night. Getting rid of the coma tv show would have allowed for more flashbacks.

April 11 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Peanut's comment
Jennifer

I don't like The Hickeys either. It's just not that funny. I really hope they get the hell over this phase soon. I know a lot of people bitched about the jail, but at least that was funny. Earl isn't giving the 1950's enough of an "Earl" twist at all.

April 11 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny

I really don't understand why everyone hated last week's episode. Maybe it was just the fact that we haven't had anything scripted in so long, but last week was definitely one of my favourite Earl eps (and I've been watching since the beginning). This week's episode was even better. The whole sitcom thing in Earl's mind is hilarious. And I agree with you saying that, like many other shows, the supporting characters are the main reason that it's so great -- I wish they would take out the main character for a few episodes in some other shows, to give the others a chance to shine. Overall, I strongly approve of the new direction that the writers are taking MNIE in.

April 11 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grover

The writers are pretty brilliant in keeping Earl interesting and refreshing... At first, I thought each episode would be self sustained with a list item, but i've been pleasantly surprised with the direction the show has gone. Very amusing, entertaining, and worth the watch (aside from last week's stinker).

I just love when Earl, Randy, and Joy make pop culture references but screw them up all the time. I can't think of any examples but there are a few in every show.

April 11 2008 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply