November 21, 2014

New DVD set might give hints about X-Files movie

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 11th 2008 4:22PM

X-Files: RevelationsSo Isabelle posted a story recently about the new X-Files sequel that is supposed to hit theaters this July 25. The movie has been pretty much under wraps, except for a snippet of film here and some behind the scenes photos there. And the cast and crew certainly aren't saying anything about the movie's plot. The only hint we've received is that this movie has more to do with a standalone mystery than the alien mythology storyline from the show (and the first film).

But now I'm slightly confused, as this press release for a new X-Files DVD set says that the set gives a hint as to what we can expect in the movie.

The set is called "Revelations" and includes eight classic episodes from the series chosen by creator Chris Carter. The thing is, it's really a mix of standalone episodes and alien mythology. The episodes are the "Pilot" and "Beyond the Sea" (from Season 1), "The Host" (from season 2), "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" (from season 3), "Memento Mori" (from season 4), "Post-Modern Prometheus" and "Bad Blood" (from season 5), and "Milagro" (from season 6). The set will also feature the trailer for the big screen adventure and that session from WonderCon, which included a teaser that made fans go wild.

I'm not sure if this info is to throw fans off the track as to what the movie is about, or the movie is about vampires, Frankenstein, aliens, psychics, the New Jersey sewers, brain cancer, and weird novel writers.

The set will be in stores on July 1, so you'll have a few weeks to watch the episodes to prepare for the movie.

Nikolas Bergquist

Like most sequels, it probably suck big time. I'll wait to see it when it comes out on DVD on Labor Day.

July 07 2008 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue Brody

I can't see how the movie WOULDN'T be good. It focuses on Mulder/Scully and sounds like a stand-along ep, not a mytharc, too confusing without continuity. Both David and Gillian wanted to do this (finally) so I think they gave it their all. Josh Whedon has spent years on this project, and since it doesn't start in a cave and end in a snowstorm, to my knowledge, it has to be better than the first disappointing movie. My fingers are crossed, anyway!

July 07 2008 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
odvdo

is usually the cheapest site to buy DVDs. any products (one unit is also ok), you can select three new DVDS films in the section of gifts. The gifts are totally free. We will send the products together with the gifts.

April 13 2008 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

I think it's telling that there's nothing Carter sees of value (for new Philes) from the last 3 seasons. I worship the first six years of that show, but it went askew in 7 and totally off the rails in 8 and 9. Nice to see that carter seems to agree. :)

April 11 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to malren's comment
superbagman

Well, the movie seems to focus on Mulder and Scully, so I assume that Carter would want the representative episodes to follow that line of reasoning as well. In all the interviews with Carter following the end of the series he seemed to stand by the decision to bring in Doggett and Reyes.

April 11 2008 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superbagman

Oh, I certainly hope that the movie has NOTHING in common with Milagro...God, that is one of my least favorite episodes. Not quite as bad as the Scully-gets-a-tattoo-which-is-a-clever-Millennium-advertisement episode...

April 11 2008 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

If I was to guess, I would say it's because they are some of the top episodes, generally standalone, which convey a general backstory for the show. I guess mainly a move for new fans.. Or maybe there's a running theme among those episodes.

April 11 2008 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply