September 2, 2014

Short-lived shows: Surface

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 11th 2008 2:01PM
SurfaceDon't you just hate it when you get hooked on a show and it's yanked unceremoniously off the air, leaving you hanging into infinity? Yeah, me, too. Such was the case with Surface, an alien-sea-monster-inspired drama that aired on NBC during the 2005-2006 season.

The series starred the soulful Lake Bell as Laura Daughtery, a marine biologist who encounters a strange creature on the ocean floor. She writes up her report, only to have it confiscated by the government in the name of national security.

Meanwhile, nerdy teen Miles (Carter Jenkins, whom I predict has a huge career ahead of him, though not if he keeps signing on for shows like the short-lived Viva Laughlin) stumbles across a strange egg on the beach and takes it home. Imagine his surprise when out hatches a weird amphibious creature that emits an even weirder electrical current.

The little guy, whom Miles names Nim (short for Nimrod), starts running around the house and neighborhood, sending Miles into a major freak-out. He doesn't realize there are lots of other Nims in the ocean, and they may not be as gentile as little Nim.

One of those is encountered by Rich Connelly (Jay R. Ferguson), a good-natured family man who goes diving with his brother one day. Tragedy strikes when his brother hooks a big Nim with a harpoon and is dragged deep into the ocean, never to be heard from again. Rich becomes obsessed with the incident and ends up alienating his family to get at the truth.

Alien sea creatures, freaky meteor showers, government conspiracies, and regular folks swept into an intriguing mystery made Surface one of the best sci-fi shows in recent years. Sadly, the final episode ended with our heroes stranded in a church-top steeple room, while down below, a flooded city swarmed with sea creatures.

Sure, the one and only season of Surface is on DVD now, but someone please, please, please make a movie and give some closure to this travesty!

Gordon Werner

NBC should have used the SciFi channel for Surface and Threshold. Maybe they would have stood a chance of at least finishing their stories if not continuing on like the StarGate franchises.

April 13 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pagan1929

It's so weird that you wrote about this! My daughter and I were just talking to my husband about this show! There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over it's premature demise in my house, I can tell you. And how completely cruel to just leave the main characters stuck in the church with no closure in sight. Totally sucked. I now refuse to watch any show on NBC or Fox until it has been on for at least a year. I'll gladly buy the dvd sets to catch up, but no way am I going to get invested in a show just to have those donkeys at the networks yank it before it's time.

April 12 2008 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Surface was really good, particularly because of it's high production values, but that = high costs, unfortunately there is no way a network will renew an expensive show if it isn't top rated...

April 12 2008 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Joe, I agree with you on Journeyman & Travler. I didn't watch Surface, but I did start watching Invasion & Threshold, both of which got cancelled too. That's why I, and any other people I'm sure, will not start watching new network shows any longer. It's not fun to start liking something & then it gets pulled. I'll spend my time on Usa & FX's shows, at least they don't usually cancel them before they even get a chance to tell the story. The networks can rot for all I care. The only risky show they've given a chance lately is Lost & that's because it started out huge in the ratings. Had it not, it'd be gone too.

April 12 2008 at 3:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I think the main, if not only, reason they cast Lake Bell is because she looked good in a bikini, which she seemed to spend a good bit of time wearing. :o)

April 12 2008 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

I agree, this show was good but not great.

My biggest problem was probably the casting of Lake Bell. She was just too wooden and unbelievable in the role she was given here.

April 11 2008 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I hate this it seems like every show I watch gets canned . I liked Surface I also enjoyed Invasion. Yet both are no more. I also liked Journey Man and Traveler. I hate this so much I really wish Network shows would just let shows last more then one season. Because next season there will be new shows people will start to like those shows too. Then they get canceled. So then it starts all over again.

So I just would like to see network shows let there shows come out for another season. Plus I would like to see the network also market there shows more and not ones people are already watching too.

April 11 2008 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAC

Sad, sad, sad. Threshold never grabbed me, but Surface (aside from being filmed in Wilmington, just a couple hours from where I live) was at least able to generate a genuine sense of suspense every week, and make you care about the characters. Now those characters are forever frozen in time, unable to give us the closure we need.

The only thing sadder is the cancellation of Journeyman.

April 11 2008 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

I'm STILL bummed about that show. Surface, Invasion and Threshold were my favorite shows that year, and every one is gone. Grrrrr. I need to know what happened! About all I can do is read fan fiction, or write my own story line. I look at the shows still on and shake my head.

April 11 2008 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julio

There ought to be a law, "If you know a series is going to get canceled it cannot end in a cliff hanger."

I live in Puerto Rico, what has me worried it that since the giant flood occurred is my mountain home now beach front property? Do I have to worry the Nims and the Chupacabra? What if they form some type of alliance? ;)

April 11 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply