December 22, 2014

It's official: Lost and Grey's finales get an extra hour

by Erin Martell, posted Apr 12th 2008 7:25PM
Matthew FoxThe rumored fourteenth hour of Lost is happening! E!'s Kristin Dos Santos confirmed that there will be an extended Lost finale this season. The two-hour finale has become a whopping three-hour episode. Executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse felt that an extra hour was crucial to wrapping up the season four storylines, and ABC agreed. According to Kristin, the script for part two of the finale was 80 pages long. Imagine cramming all of that into one hour!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the return of Grey's Anatomy and Ugly Betty to the Thursday night lineup does make scheduling this additional hour a bit tricky. The original plan was for the two-part Lost finale to air over two nights, and have all three shows end on May 22. TV Guide's Michael Ausiello is reporting that the Lost finale has been rescheduled, making room for a two-hour Grey's Anatomy season finale.

ABC has made some changes to the final weeks of its Thursday lineup:

• On May 15, Part One of the Lost finale will follow new episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Ugly Betty; nothing new there.
  • There will be no Lost episode on May 22. The Ugly Betty finale and the new, two-hour Grey's finale will air instead.
  • On May 29, ABC has scheduled an encore of Part One, followed by the two-hour, second installment of the Lost finale.

This is fantastic news for Lost and Grey's fans alike. I'm particularly pleased that I'll be able to view the entire three-hour Lost finale in one sitting. I'll still watch Part One on May 15, but it will be nice to see the finale as a complete episode. When I first heard that the finale was getting broken up over two nights, I was a little bummed out. Now the last episode of Lost Season Four will be a huge, three-hour event.

Who's happier--Grey's fans or Lost fans? Sound off in the comments section below!

Knafler

You can trust podcast quality so log on to http://www.cyberears.com for podcast hosting.

June 12 2008 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hope

So glad to hear about the big finale. Actually I had heard about it, but thought it was on TONIGHT, and didn't see it listed, so now I know WHEN it is on - next week! Thanks!
Sometimes I am just lost with these tv schedules!

May 22 2008 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I'm already getting a little depressed as I think of a year without LOST. The 3 hour finale has helped.

May 01 2008 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

GA fan here....

I am happy that we aren't going to get shorted an episode. (Well.... you know what I mean)

to be completely honest with you, it sounds as if ABC is one of the only ones to make the fans of their shows happy.

April 13 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I'll watch whatever they make. The more the better.

April 12 2008 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dreyesbo

Three hours of Lost? I think we'll be more pleased than Grey's fans.

April 12 2008 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

Yay, I'm so happy about the extra hour for Lost! It's been an exceptionally good season and it's nice that I'll be able to watch that looooong finale all in one night! I'm looking forward to it!

April 12 2008 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

That's good because a lot of people were worried that the episodes of Lost that won't be made this season were really going to screw the show up. Glad to see they are doing this.

April 12 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply