September 20, 2014

Feist to sing "1234" on Sesame Street

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 13th 2008 10:02AM

FeistAs if we haven't heard this song a bajillion times already...

According to Pitchfork, Feist has recorded a special version of "1234" to air on an upcoming episode of Sesame Street. Someone want to explain this to me? Is it simply because the lyrics have numbers in them and by default it must be educational for small children? One quick glance at the words and it seems like the song is all about teenage love and how much it sucks. Is this really a song you want your toddler bopping around to?

Although, I suppose it doesn't really matter. That Apple iPod commercial that popularized the tune was on TV, oh I dunno, only every 4.3 seconds. I'm sure Steve Jobs is salivating at this news, armed with a business plan to release the brand new iPod Jr. around the same time. I hear it comes with a built in sippy cup!

[via Pop Candy]

prefect46

They've done this for years, and there's nothing wrong with it. I still remember "Letter B" instead of "Let It Be", "Cooperation" instead of "Two Princes". I guess, since I like the song, I don't quite get the overwhelming stench of snark that this post starts with.

April 14 2008 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to prefect46's comment
ajprice

Add R.E.M. - "Furry Happy Monsters" to that list.

April 14 2008 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

You yourself wrote the very words, "special version". They change the lyrics.

April 13 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Rice

Anything to get this girl's music out there. Forget Steve Jobs, it's BSS that should be salivating over a new legion of four-year-old super-fans.

April 13 2008 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I wonder how they're going to deal with the missing numbers in the lyrics; a generation of kids are going to grow up not having any concept of 7 or 8.

April 13 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noah

Kidz Bop has already covered it, so the little ones are already singing it :(
I've worked at a summer camp for the past 5 years and you'd be surprised on what the lil' ones sing

April 13 2008 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

Yeah, I'm guessing that it's just because it has 1, 2, 3, 4 in the lyrics. Kids could care less who Leslie Feist is. In other news, Let it Die is better than The Reminder. Buy it first.

April 13 2008 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply