August 29, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Ashton Kutcher/Gnarls Barkley - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 13th 2008 12:26PM
Ashton Kutcher(S33E10) Considering the fact that Ashton Kutcher has hosted the show two times previous to this, I expected a lot more sketches that would let him cut loose and go crazy. We already know that he can be a decent host, and I felt like they didn't use him to his full potential. I also fully understand that I'm simultaneously talking about the importance of range and Ashton Kutcher of That 70s Show and Punk'd.

That said, this episode was mediocre, but at least it was consistently chuckle-worthy. There were only one or two sketches that were a bit painful to get through.

"Cold Open": Hearings about Iraq are inherently funny, right? I'm sad to say that I can't listen to "General Petraeus" without wanting to break into "Iraq me, Dave Petraeus" Falco-style. Thanks, Daily Show. Anyway, this felt like a really lengthy Cold Open and it was so-so. Fred Armisen's Barack Obama still doesn't seem quite right and when I saw Darrell Hammond as John McCain, I was suddenly struck with the thought that if McCain somehow makes it to the White House, Hammond will have to stay on the cast for another four years. He. Will. Never. Leave.

Monologue: Kutcher led the cameras around backstage to show just what a producer like him does. Before the start of the show, I was thinking about how dumb it would be for Demi Moore to have another cameo. During the monologue for Kutcher's last stint, Moore popped up in old lady garb and made out with him, and I thought that was quite enough. Anyway, the best part of this was the little exchange between Andy Samberg and Kenan Thompson.

"The Cougar Den": Wow. That was a lot of... thrusting. Overall, I thought this was a pretty funny sketch, even though Kutcher wasn't doing very much. The star of it was undoubtedly surprise guest Cameron Diaz. She may not do the greatest films, but she's always a fun SNL host. There were a lot of good lines, so I'm surprised that NBC hasn't posted video for this sketch. Thompson's "You dusty old bags of stuff" made me laugh unusually hard, as did...

Kristen Wiig Cougar: ... Then I gave him a blow joy on my wicker fan chair.
Casey Wilson Cougar: Blow joy?
Kristen Wiig Cougar: Well, it's certainly not a job.

"At the Club": This was a simple premise, but it delivered. Samberg's underage guy(s) was hilarious, as was Jason Sudeikis' team of old guys. Will Forte's brief return as Lyle was nice too.

"Daiquiri Girl": Was this for real? It didn't seem funny enough to be fake... Then again, would they have really addressed the issue this way? Hmm...

"Activia": Does Jamie Lee Curtis have any distinctive characteristics apart from her voice and hair? It must be really tough to do an impression of her. Wiig made the best of it though, playing an Activia-addicted silver-haired ferosha. Mediocre sketch, barely saved by Wiig's performance.

"Weekend Update": This was a so-so "Update". Fred Armisen brought back his political comedian, who is really hit-or-miss. Wiig debuted a new character, Judy "Just kidding!" Grimes. I thought Wiig's head was going to catch on fire, she was talking so fast. Again, a mediocre piece, saved by Wiig's performance. I'm noticing a trend here.

"Amy": "I finally worked up the nerve to talk to her and she just stonewalls me. And I said, 'What's wrong?' and she said she could never go out with me. I ask why and she said, 'I found out you're a pedophile' and I was like, 'A pedophile? A pedophile?! Pretty big word for a ten year-old.'" ZING!

"Death by Chocolate I": What. In. The. Hell. This was insane, but I wouldn't have minded a bit more wackiness like this throughout the evening. Kutcher's face was hilarious.

"Mellow Show": Was the return of Samberg's Jack Johnson really necessary? I guess this was sort of funny, but it was a real "end of the night" sketch. Plus, everyone's impressions got a little Gibb-esque towards the middle. I half-expected them to start talkin' 'bout chest hair, talkin' 'bout crazy cool medallions.

"Death by Chocolate II": Ha! This one was my favorite. Putting the gun in the hands of the comatose person was a lovely touch.

"Dusty on the Pole": This was a funny premise, but it got sort of weird towards the end. Maybe Wilson was just trying too hard. Again. As I sat there, watching Kutcher get super-handsy with Wilson, I couldn't help but wonder if she was the one that wrote the sketch. I can only imagine what kind of ridiculous things I would write if I was a cast member and had to come up with a sketch for a handsome host. "... Aaand this is the part where you rip my shirt open and carry me across a stage. What do you mean it would be awkward? It'll be hilarious! Comedy! If you're uncomfortable, we can practice without the cameras first."

"Death by Chocolate III": Yup. If I had to dress up in a random costume for a 3-second sketch, I'd probably pick either Snow White or a lumberjack.

Gnarls Barkley: That first performance was awesome. Hey, it's Gnarls Barkley, what else would you expect?

Next time: Shia LeBeouf and My Morning Jacket. He hosted in April of last year and he's back for more already! He's a funny guy, so I don't really mind.

How would you rate this episode?
5 - Awesome!63 (19.5%)
480 (24.8%)
3102 (31.6%)
247 (14.6%)
1 - Awful!31 (9.6%)

colby

Half the funny in the Dusty Pole skit was Samberg freak-out reaction .... hilarious!

April 14 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Decent episode. Nothing great, but it wasn't painful to watch like a few of the previous ones have been. The only two jokes that really stick out in my mind as being really funny are the "blow joy" joke, and the pedophile joke. And I was certain I'd heard them BOTH before, a loooong time ago. Now that Mark and Basketcase have confirmed my suspicions (at least partly anyway), I know I'm not crazy. :)

Most of the sketches were pretty good though, plagiarism aside. I thought the Cougar Den sketch was quite excellent. That may be because the other sketches for this season have been so weak by comparison though. I did kinda like the paralyzed stripper sketch, though it was pretty weird. But I think Casey Wilson is kinda hot, so I may be biased. And I may be alone in this, but I really dig Armisen's political guy character. He really reminds me of a modern comic trying to use the styles of the 60's comics but not really having anything to say. He's always good for a few minutes.

April 14 2008 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Clark

Kristen's Face in the Activia skit was priceless. I had to rewind it for my husband so he could see it too. She is definitely my favorite.

April 14 2008 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Ok I agree with you that the show was mediocre but then again you guys here at TVS have said that the past shows were horrible too and I disagreed with that. Which makes me just want to disagree with you here out of spite.

To be honest I laughed really hard a couple of times and there is so much stuff on TV that's called "comedy" which doesn't make me laugh at all that I wonder what you guys want. Edgy comedy. In the times of TDS, TCR, South Park and 19 years of "The Simpsons".

I think SNL is funny enough. Because I still laugh. Because I still don't want to change the channel while watching it. Maybe fast forward a little. But not change what I am watching.

And that's a lot these days.

April 13 2008 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Conner

Guys, SNL isn't bad. Stop saying it. By the way, the plagerize comment below is just stupid. I would love to see each of you guys write better than the show.

April 13 2008 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Basketcase456

I did not see this episode, so reading the recap is the best I can do. However, not only has the pedophile joke been around for years, but it's by Emo Philips. I stopped reading the recap right there. If SNL is going to start using other people's jokes and call them their own then they might as well have Carlos Mencia host one week and then Dane Cook the next.

April 13 2008 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

Not a "mediocre" episode in my opinion. I loved it, and I'm not a fan of Ashton Kutcher at all. I like how he basically stepped aside and let the cast do their own thing this episode. People always mention how the early to mid 90's cast was soooo good, I think this episode is the one I'll play for people to show them that the current cast is phenomenal as well. Wiig has just been on fire these past couple of episodes, and even Keenan Thompson who I've never really enjoyed before is starting to grow on me. Loved the episode, laughed my ass off.

April 13 2008 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

"I'm sad to say that I can't listen to "General Petraeus" without wanting to break into "Iraq me, Dave Petraeus" Falco-style."

You're not the only one Annie. It pops into my head every time I see the guy. After that sketch I started singing it and trying to explain it to the people around me, but I don't think they got it.

April 13 2008 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foolsgold

I thought the stripper was the best. Apparently that's a character Casey auditioned with. Don't think it should have been the last sketch of the night.
I must only like female comedy, because I loved the Cougars, although I didnt think Kristen was that good in it. Amy, of course, was amazing.
And Ashton's face during Death By Chocolate was priceless.

April 13 2008 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply