November 21, 2014

Dourdan leaving CSI

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 14th 2008 9:00PM
CSILast fall, CSI's Jorja Fox left the show. Two weeks ago, it was confirmed that William Petersen signed a one-year contract to stick around for the show's ninth season. This week, we learn that series regular Gary Dourdan decided to quit the show at the end of the current season.

Dourdan, who plays CSI Level 3 Warrick Brown, and CBS/Paramount came to a mutual decision not renew the actor's contract with the show.

It is unknown when exactly the actor will leave the series. However, since there are only four original episodes of the series left to air this season and casting for the season finale started today, it's more than likely that he'll appear in all of them.

For Gary Dourdan fans who are not happy with this announcement, Entertainment Weekly reports that the actor could guest star in episodes of upcoming seasons.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation airs Thursdays on CBS.

[via TV Guide]

kate

Will miss Gary but not as much as I miss Jorja.

May 20 2008 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackie262pooh

OH MY GOD!! I cannot believe how this show ended!! I started to cry when they were in the diner. It was one of those shows where you knew it was coming but not when or how. To be shot in cold blood; especially after things were starting to look up-whoa. I didn't care about Sara leaving-she had too much baggage. And Sara and Grissom? PLEASE! But Warick-his eyes -the way he cared for his team. I CAN"T BELIEVE THIS!!! I am still SAD!!!! jackie

May 15 2008 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Oh just lovely...and now it seems like he just got arrested for suspected possession of narcotics and dangerous drugs....

April 29 2008 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

While the departure of the one trick pony otherwise known as Jorja Fox made me happy the departure of Gary Dourdan does not.
If all the press he has been getting lately is any indication he may need some time off to get his life back on track. He is slated to do some guest spots so it sounds like he is not gone for good.

April 15 2008 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boomfoxx

The writers never seemed to know what they wanted to do with his character. If you look back over the shows history you see one dropped storyline after another. Start with his gambling problem, then his light flirting with Willows, then his marriage, subsequent divorce, dead stripper in the car. They kept giving him these good starts, but then the writers would trail off on his stories and never give any sort of follow through or conclusion.

April 15 2008 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jez

I don't mind him leaving. His character does not do much to me. I am waaaaaaay much sadder when Jorja left. Oh how I loved Sara.

April 15 2008 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

Oh, I loved watching Gary Dourdan - those eyes!! Seems he hasn't made waves with the show like Jorja and the other guy - the show is doing very well - if he is going to exit - might as well do when your at the top and liked. I am sure he'll find some good projects - perhaps with a little less clothing - he he he he!!! I will be sad to see him go though.

April 15 2008 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

It's good if the show shakes things up a bit and if the actors want to leave, then so be it, I just hope they'll get more good ones (interesting characters) to replace them.

I'm really digging the lab gal Wendy Simms (Liz Vassey). I wouldn't mind if they made her a regular and she moved to full on CSI or made her role as a "labrat" more substantial. They've done a couple of the lab rat episodes which I've really enjoyed and I wouldn't mind seeing them more. Hodges, Archie and Wendy.

Warrick's been in a downward spiral for a while now and I think that they need some a bit more... I don't know cheerier people around. Or something.

I just hope they won't get rid of Marg. Because then I'll just stop watching :)

April 15 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gooby's comment
erroneous_nick

I'm 100% with you, gooby. The character of Warrick has been, as you said, in a downward spiral and he's been very underused, at least lately. I, too, would like to see more of Liz Vassey and the other lab people on screen with one or more being promoted to the field.

As Bash said, a turnover like this in a real job is pretty normal and after 8 years on the air some new blood (pardon the pun) might be just what the show needs.

I like Gary Dourdan as an actor and will be sorry to see him leave, unlike Jorja whom I never cared for even a little bit. Maybe we'll see Dourdan on something new in the future, perhaps even a movie or two. He's a good actor and I wish him the best.

April 15 2008 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

I never really connected with Jorja Fox's character so I wasn't upset when she left the show, but Dourdan leaving is a bummer. I love his character. But he has been on the show for a while, so maybe he'd like to do other things and I wish him luck. Hopefully the CSI writers will give him a really cool storyline to send him off with. Without killing him.

April 15 2008 at 7:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

To me the episodes centering on Warrick felt off. I guess both CBS and Dourdan found that out via test screenings and might think that both for the series and for his career it could be best to pursue other things. I think it's the same with Jorja Fox. Everything was said.

Grissom still remains a mystery because both the actor as well as the authors give him that deph. And we didn't find out too much about the others on the show (except Willows who was pretty much covered in the first four to five seasons and then left alone for the last three years), which for them seems to be good. Because I really think once everything is said about someone on the team you aren't as interesting anymore because your part of the mystery is gone, or better the feeling of things left to be discovered or explored the viewer likes.

Eight years really is a long time for just one role and in the past years the guest actors as well as the new ones really worked on the show. And let's be honest isn't this amount of new workers on a job kind of normal? People quit to get out of the rut, find something new they can tackle and new people come in. I think standing still is going backwards.

April 15 2008 at 7:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply