July 25, 2014

New show from creator of Battlestar Galactica on Fox

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 14th 2008 8:55PM
Battlestar GalacticaIt looks like Ron Moore, the writer behind the 21st century version of Battlestar Galactica, has been given the greenlight to create a new sci-fi program for Fox called Virtuality. The two-hour premiere will serve as a backdoor pilot.

The premise involves a crew of a starship going on a 10-year journey to a distant solar system. To occupy themselves during they trip, they go into virtual reality machines to assume whatever identities and adventures they want. In short, it's the holodeck. If Moore continues his current trend, it will probably be more mature holodeck scenarios then we ever saw in the Star Trek franchise.

The original premise was the brainchild of producers Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun and was presented to Moore. Another creator behind the will be Battlestar Galactica writer/producer Michael Taylor.

Given the talent behind the show, it's certainly one to look forward to. I'm only hesitant about it because I'm afraid the program will die the usual "sci-fi on Fox" death. Still, between this and Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, Fox is putting more sci-fi than usual in its programming. Here's hoping.

keidalgrim

I hate the premise of this show, though I reserve the right to change my mind.

Holodecks are really nothing more than ways to show off the latest, fancy-ass cgi work.

Unless there's a throughline that holds this show together, it sounds too much like the stupidity of Eureka. Yuck.

April 15 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Hmm sounds alot like the John Bryne's Next Men comic series. In the end it turned out they were on a space ship in VR to occupy the time. I guess if Heroes can rip off Rising Stars another tv series can rip another comic concept off.

April 15 2008 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zarquon

I'm kind of concerned that the premise sounds somewhat like Dollhouse's; people living out their fantasies. Even if they are ultimately quite different, they may end up being unfairly compared (like 30 Rock and Studio 60...).

April 15 2008 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAW

I wonder if this could be the show that Tricia Helfer works on with Fox. She'd be a fool not to want to work with Ron Moore again.

April 14 2008 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Well, if Ron Moore is involved, it'll be good. He has one of the best track records of any tv writer/producer. You have to give Fox credit-they aren't fooling around. Pilots from Ron Moore, Joss Whedon, AND J.J. Abrams? I know there's a danger of a sci-fi overdose, but you know these shows, at the very least, will not be stinkers.

April 14 2008 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to C C's comment
Oreo

Same can be said about the West Wing / Sports Night guy, he can do no wrong. Then he made Studio 60 and it was terrible.

April 15 2008 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

This sounds awful, plus it's on Fox, how long before it gets canceled? I say no more than five episodes.

Holodecks suck, they have always sucked and will always suck. Having a whole show based around one is insane.

April 14 2008 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
Jennifer

I second the "holodecks suck."

April 15 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

Before I'm interested though, a conflict should at least be hinted at. Without crazy virtual monsters this could easily just be a sci-fi soap that uses the medium of virtual reality to explore the complex identities of the various protagonists involved... Which doesn't sound horrible, but I'd much rather something with explosions.

April 14 2008 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply