September 2, 2014

Stump the King - SCTV

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 14th 2008 6:00AM

Some of the many faces of SCTVI was driving around town today with the top down and my iPod blaring and a song came on that brought back some memories and I was really bothered.

The song was "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the song and recognize it as a classic. More importantly, I'm sure most of you know that the song was inspired by a particularly horrific event (feel free to Google it). However, that wasn't what bothered me. The bothersome part was that the memories it brought back were those of one of my favorite shows.

I wasn't reminded of when I heard the song at a school dance or when my friend played it for me on their Walkman. I was reminded of when The Boomtown Rats were the guests on SCTV and sang the song.

Even a die-hard TV addict like myself must admit that when a particular song reminds of you of the time you watched a TV show and heard the song, it says something about you. I'm not sure what it says but I doubt that it's good.

I was able to turn the event in the right direction when I started thinking about how great SCTV was. For someone who grew up sucking on the great glass teat, the way that show blended the storylines of the cast with their brilliant TV parodies was one that hasn't been matched since.

Sometimes I think about how great it would be if Ed Grimley, Count Floyd, Bob & Doug Mackenzie, Edith Prickley, Sid Dithers and Lola Heatherton got back together in a Survivor-like TV special to see who could stage the most successful comeback.

Here is this week's question...

What movie was being parodied when The Boomtown Rats sang "I don't like Mondays" on SCTV?

Congratulations klb! To Sir With Love is the correct answer.

Crow

Yep...90 minutes. Used to stay up late after SNL and LMAO.
I was just watching SCTV's soap opera parody "Days of the Week" on youTube. Great stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZXvR51i5M

April 14 2008 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Crow's comment
Charlie Conner

Actually...there was a Second City show pre-NBC that ran 30 minutes...but I can't remember how long it ran...

April 14 2008 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keithnl

I remember being hating Bobby Bittman, to the point of not wanting to watch the show. A couple of years a ago they started showing episodes on the Canadian Network, and it was only then was I able see Bobby Bittman as a character created by Eugene Levy.

Oh hey everytime I've seen SCTV in syndication it was always broken up in half hour chunks, but wasn't it orginally 90 minutes?

April 14 2008 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

This actually reminds me that I get the same way about the Barenaked Ladies 'It's all been done'. Whenever I hear the song, I can still remember them being on the tonight show and david duchovney signing the 'whoo who hooo' parts

April 14 2008 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

That song reminds me of the House episode where he played it and savant Dave Matthews played it back (with House adding the clapping).

April 14 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Otto

There is a SCTV reunion coming up next month in Toronto.

April 14 2008 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply