October 22, 2014

New Amsterdam: Love Hurts (season finale) - VIDEO

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 15th 2008 7:36AM

Maybe these ladies can bring the show back to life?(S01E08) As this is probably the final episode of New Amsterdam, I'm going to take an extra hard look at the show tonight. Consider yourself warned.

Tonight, we got to see an example of how John once used his powers for evil. It's about time!

So far, we've seen John as a lawyer, a soldier, a medic, and an artist, just to name a few, but aside from the time he spent as an alcoholic club emcee, he seems to have led a fairly honorable life. It seems to me that a guy who has the ability to live forever would spend a good deal of time exploiting that ability for profit, if nothing else. Sure, his conscience would catch up with him eventually, but when you live forever, you have to be expected to explore everything immortallity has to offer.

I don't know what to make of Dr. Sarah. Is she so in love with Amsterdam that she doesn't want to admit that there's something abnormal about him or is she just a bad doctor? I understand that most doctors like to find scientific answers for the unexplained but she's already decided that without doing any research. I guess nobody is immune to denial.

I realized that the main thing this show is missing is good supporting characters. A show that his so heavy with drama and brooding characters needs more than a wise-ass old man to lend a little comic relief. A perfect supporting character/ tension breaker is Mank the coroner. He's funny, he says inappropriate things and in the few scenes he's been in, he seems like he's curious about John's secret. I loved the scene earlier in the season when Mank was trying to tell John a joke he hadn't heard. This show needs more stuff like that.

I hated the flashbacks in this episode. First of all, the connection each flashback had to do with the current case was tenuous at best. Secondly, the show kept going back and forth so fast that I had a hard time keeping track of what time period they were in. Thank goodness for John's cheesy mustache.

The parade of the victim's dates was ridiculous. The computer nerd, in particular, was just insulting. When he said, "We crashed," I felt like I was watching a high school play. The only saving grace was that someone recognized John from one of his more famous lives, oh and that the two stories were finally tied together. Maybe I'm just impatient but I think thirty minutes is too long to make the audience wait for a connection.

Just in case you weren't sure that Ray the fence was a scumbag, he had to make a reference to dog fighting. Isn't it nice when the writers put in that little extra piece of information to bash you over the head with?

Also, if this episode didn't have enough cliches for you, they stuck in a fake fight between John and his boss so he could scam the scammer. The sad part is that was the best acting I've seen from Coster-Waldau during the entire run of the series. Obviously the "scotch" was supposed to convince us that he really was fired. I have to assume that the main reason everybody was caught in the end is because they were just really stupid. How else can you explain the fact that a person doesn't know the difference between the smell of scotch and the smell of apple juice? Maybe she had a cold.

John's exit in the closing shot was the most believable part of the episode. considering only an immortal would walk in the middle of the street in New York City.

Would you be upset if New Amsterdam didn't come back?
Yes474 (81.6%)
No107 (18.4%)

jordancda

I hope it comes back just because its still an interesting premise and somewhat well executed, even if the writing and acting are sometimes subpar. I'm sure it would just get better with another season and time to work out more kinks.

April 26 2008 at 6:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

i kind of like it (not more that TSCC, i really felt for that one), and yes the premise was great, but the show had little things that bother me, the main one is the fact that he was living IN THE SAME CITY, all that time, and that never seems to be a problem in any aspect of the show (maybe in the past that could roll, but know, with all the tecnology in identifications, blood works, finger prints, etc., i think that it's pretty much impossible to do ti).
Still hope they bring it back, even if it is just to make a decent ending (yeah.. right... :)

April 18 2008 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dr_g99

@ Matt. I agree with you. She might still be the one since the episode painstakingly showed us their relationship is really based on nothing.

April 15 2008 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I still think she's the one. Problem is, they don't trust eachother, therefore don't love eachother. It'll take time before they trust and fully love eachother...but do we care?

I kind of feel like this show goes nowhere and each episode is too disjointed from the last. It's sad because it's a cool premise, but executed sooo poorly, that I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel it.

April 15 2008 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I think it has a decent chance of survival honestly. It definitely dropped like a stone in its first month losing more than half its audience but what most don't realize is that its been climbing up since then (adding over a million viewers). Paired with a decent lead-in the show seems to hold pretty steady.

Last night it lost less than 20% of a New Bones' audience which isn't half bad especially when you consider its competition was tougher (Two and a Half Men AND Dancing with the stars)

I doubt it will get a full season order but I can see Fox giving this show another shot and trying to pair it with a something that will give it a chance to grow. Given TV Guide's reports that Sarah Connor is a lock for next season I could see them also renewing New Amsterdam and seeing how the pair works out.

April 15 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Wow, what a suck episode to end on. Did not give a crap about Johnny On The Spot and his non-love. Did not give a crap about the dating service scamming. And his coldly dumping the doctor because she didn't kill him was just...ouch.

Yeah, she has freaking evidence that Something Is Up with him, he's totally healed after a WEEK, and yet she's not all that nosy about it? Come on. Weak writing, weak handling. I like the character (except in this episode 'cause he's a dick), but yeesh.

April 15 2008 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

This show was a sinking ship from the start. I think it had a great premise and concept, but the writers simply did not take it in the right direction. Some of the flashbacks were fun, but they could get old quick if there was not a concrete point. And yeah, the doctor must be the dumbest doctor in town if she simply lets the fact that John died twice slide. Yeesh. This show needed some major improvements before it could become mainstream. Although, I do agree, I would still rather have this show than another CSI or Law and Order or... ugggg... reality TV.

April 15 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Fox has 7 new dramas for next season, two are sci-fi shows. This will be replaced by something that will get canceled quickly too.

April 15 2008 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I'll disagree with Paul and predict this show will be back next season.

April 15 2008 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

The show isn't that bad. Just needs more of a direction when it's not in flashbacks. What? You want more CSI or Law and Order or worse.......another reality show? I say give it 12 more episodes and see what happens.

April 15 2008 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply