Samantha Who?: The Boss
by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 15th 2008 12:00AM
(S01E11) "Marry me." - Winston Funk to Sam
This week's episode of Samantha Who? ended up being quite satisfying and I'm not just saying that because the stable boy kissed the amnesiac heroine (which surely pleased the 52.5% of people who voted for "Sam & Todd forever" in our last poll). We were treated with crazy Regina, romance novelist wannabe Dena, teenager with a huge crush Andrea, and smitten with a potential son-in-law Howard. What more can we ask for? Especially after that "look at what you made me do" kiss!
Gallery: Samantha Who
I was glad to see that this week's episode followed up on last week's installment because many sitcoms and comedies seem to forget past events at times. Even if they are as important as what happened at the end of episode 1.10. Sam's actions in "The Girlfriend" had repercussions in this week's episode. Todd was pissed off at Sam and the latter moved back in with her parents. In order to pave the way for a potential Todd and Sam reunion, they needed a huge fallout (what happened last week) and for Todd to see Sam move on (which happened this week). Thanks to Winston proposing and Regina selling the picture to a gossip magazine (!), Todd was able to realize that he still had feelings for Sam.
No one should expect Todd and Sam to be a couple next week. For them to be together, Todd must break up with Chloe, which will not be an easy task because Chloe will surely not go without a fight. It wouldn't surprise me if she trashes the apartment. Furthermore, Sam and Todd need to get to know one another again. Since Todd remembers who Sam used to be and because Sam doesn't remember her past, it'll be a challenge for them to make things work. Todd may compare new Sam to old Sam while she will try not to be the Sam she used to be since she knows Todd ended up disliking that version of her.
Speaking of old Sam, we got another taste of her nasty past. Not only did she date Winston while he was still married, but she continued to do so even though best friend Andrea had this school-girl crush on him. I was not surprised by this turn of events since old Sam was evil and could get what she wanted pretty easily. It wasn't earth shattering either to learn that Sam and Andrea backstabbed one another so that the other wouldn't get a promotion and move away. They both claimed they did it for their friendship's sake but not so deep down inside, I think they did it so that the other wouldn't get promoted, period. Not only do both have/had an evil side but they are business women and some studies reveal that a lot of women prefer to be part of a flat structure (aka everyone equal) while men prefer a pyramid-shaped hierarchy (aka someone on top calling the shots). So no wonder Sam and Andrea didn't want the other to get advancement. No matter if they did it for the sake of their relationship or so the other wouldn't go up the ladder, sabotaging the other's chances for advancement was a selfish act. Right or wrong, the relationship between Andrea and Sam is an entertaining one because Andrea is the person Sam used to be and Sam tries to be someone different. This battle between right and wrong is the core of the show and is one of the main reasons why I tune in each week.
What Samantha learned about herself this week:
- Sam sabotaged Andrea's chance to get a promotion and move to NYC. Andrea sabotaged Sam's chance to be promoted to a job in L.A.
- She dated Winston Funk even if she knew Andrea had a huge crush on him.
- Sam and Andrea used to go to the Sweet Sugar Bay Shop and sit on the bench in front of the store when they wanted to feel better.
- You got to hand it to Dena, when she's passionate about something, she goes all in. Her storytelling was cutesy and was a fun addition to this week's episode.
- "When I buy businesses, I also like to buy the parent company." - Winston (The Eli Stone writers and the SW? writers must exchange notes at lunch because they sure use the same comparisons for love.)
- "I'm having feelings about the situation in the Middle East." - Sam to Todd
- Regina and Howard being charmed by Winston as soon as they met him and Regina admitting that it's mainly for his money.
|Angel Dena.||73 (58.9%)|
|Devil Andrea.||51 (41.1%)|