July 29, 2014

Boston Legal: The Mighty Rogues

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 16th 2008 7:51AM

John Larroquette(S04E16) "During the strike, I fell in love." Jerry Espenson

I think I have finally figured out how Crane, Poole & Schmidt can justify keeping so many nutcases on staff. It's because there isn't one sane person on the entire payroll. In fact, it seems that the higher you rise in the firm, the nuttier you become. Think about it, one named partner is legally insane and another is famous for his dementia. I don't know why Carl Sack hasn't figured this out yet.

In Shirley's case, I suppose she still has a few things keeping her grounded. Although having a father who is losing his battle with Alzheimer's is certainly enough to send anyone over the edge.

While I really enjoyed watching Candy Bergen and Shatner work together, I was upset by their case. How is it that thousands of elderly people can die every year due to poor living conditions or mismanaged health care but when you actually want them to end your loved ones' suffering, the medical community suddenly has too many ethics? I won't take up too much space arguing for assisted suicide, you can do that in the comments section, but I will say this...if a person lives every day in constant confusion and fear because of a disease that has no cure, I consider that a terminal case.

I'm glad John Larroquette finally has something to do. I was worried when he joined the cast that the show just wouldn't be big enough for him and Shatner both. Turned out I was right. The curse of the ensemble drama is that sometimes the ensemble is just too good. Inevitably, one or more characters end up getting more screen time and your favorite disappears. Heck, I barely recognized Clarence.

Speaking of Clarence, he really needs to be fired. I'm just saying if one of my employees refused to do the job he was hired for, he'd be dismissed. I applaud Clarence for his ethics but a high-powered firm like CP&S is not the place to wave them about. I'm sure Boston has plenty of legal aid outlets that help the underprivileged and pay about a tenth of what he's making.

While Carl's client was, at the least, misguided, I applaud him for telling the associates why they needed to take the case. As with most law firms it is all about money. One thing that has always bothered me with BL is how they always seem to take on pro bono cases and rarely have any paying clients. Finally, we get an example of where most of the firms income is from. I would imagine the bill for having a partner work a case like this is astronomical.

The best part of Carl's case was the Machiavellian reason it was even started. I guess spending thousands of dollars on absurd lawsuits is how the obscenely rich stage protests.

I'm really done with Jerry and his freaky dating life. Firstly, I have enough dating problems of my own to care about Jerry's and secondly, if Katie really cared about Jerry like she claims, she would realize that when it comes to women, the guy is hopeless. Her pep talks and kind words are just not cutting it.

Jerry's case was simply ludicrous. For his date to insist that he damaged her somehow is laughable. Seeing how smoking hot she is, she must have been damaged to even go out with Jerry in the first place. At least she admitted that her lawsuit was out of line.

In closing, I must say that I am amazed that after so many balcony scenes, I can still be moved by the brilliant combination of writing and acting that made tonight's one of the best I've ever seen.

Do you believe that a woman like that would go out with Jerry?
Yes48 (30.6%)
No109 (69.4%)

John Howard

I have a friend who really likes to watch this show. She decided to become a lawyer because of this show. I think that she is really going to be a great lawyer. http://starrandrowells.com/

April 01 2014 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

Duh, wat wuz thad sung dat wuz played incid uf dis upezod uf dis wudrfel shew? Sorey ef mey dunt spil mey langague curiktlei.

April 26 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R

Great episode. Alan's closing was incredible, it definitely shows why James Spader won 3 Emmys. We finally got to see John Larroquette's comedic side and it worked so well in the storyline. Having lost a parent to Alzheimer's, this show did a great job showing how the family suffers and the pain they go thru. My Mom had a morphine drip and I thank g-d everyday. Love Love Love this show.

April 17 2008 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LaLaland

The closing by James Spader was the most powerful thing on TV since...well...forever. Very emotional for the viewer and the actor. The man didn't win 3 Emmy's for no reason.

But then sour grapes leave a bad taste in one's mouth , don't they Paul?

April 17 2008 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

i agree! i just finished watching the episode & that closing from alan was the best, yet no mention of it. wtf? bad review for missing a really big part of this episode. now, please excuse me while i go wash away these tears. great ep!

April 16 2008 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Who played Shirley's dad? I suspect the actor is younger than Candace Bergen.

April 16 2008 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

is james spader's performance always so amazing that it's not even worth mentioning? C'mon!
What kinda review is this? when they aren't even saying the best part of the episode.

Alan's closing was heartbreaking. A single tear did drip, my friends. SO GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

April 16 2008 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Primal

I spent almost the entire episode trying to a) think about the name of the actress whose character sued Jerry and b) where I had seen her before. (It's Rachelle Lefevre and I've seen her on "What About Brian" and "HIMYM").
Now the only question I've left is: What was that song that played during the scene in the bar?

April 16 2008 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacLean

I wasn't quite as impressed about this episode, it was well done but dramatically I think they got it a bit wrong. Denny should have fought the case rather than Alan - though his scenes were very good.

The show annoys me as I think its missed lots of oppurtunities. I don't care about Carl in this show because the audience hasn't had anything to know about his character. And I think that Shatner has been criminally underused in the dramatic parts and overused in stupid comedy. Jerry and Clarence can just clear off now though.

April 16 2008 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

"By the way, the song that was being played in the bar was called "Who's Next" and was written by Tom Lehr. Now watch and see how many idiots post a comment asking the name of the song."

That's some quality writing there, Paul. Did you go to the Jonathan Toomey school of how to put down your readers?

April 16 2008 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply