April 24, 2014

David James Elliott cast in mini-series disaster flick

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 18th 2008 5:21PM
David James ElliottAre you ready for some major disaster film effects? Were you disappointed that there wasn't more destruction when the Golden Gate Bridge broke in half on Eli Stone (I was.) Then you, like me, will be pleased to hear that David James Elliott is starring in a four-hour mini-series called Impact. Producers are promising lots of action and Charlton Heston-like epic disaster. Okay, maybe I added the Charlton Heston adjective, but at $13 million, the guys at Muse Entertainment, Jaffe/Braunstein Entertainment and Tandem Communications aren't skimping.

Casting David is a plus for starters. The former JAG star has a nice balance of serious and tongue-in-cheek, so hopefully he'll keep Impact from getting too cheesey. The story, however, does have Velveeta potential.

The plot erupts when a meteor shower results in a piece of a dwarf star (no, I was going to make a joke about Michael Dunn, but I'll refrain) breaks off and collides into the moon. The impact (get the title now?) causes the moon to shift out of orbit which leads to all kinds of problems here on earth.

Big problems, too. Cell phone interruptions. Cable and satellite interference. No, no, those are the minor inconveniences. The really big ones are the tides not rolling in on schedule and -- I love this one -- sporadic weightlessness! I want to try that one.

In Michael Vickerman's screenplay, David's character is Alex Kinter, an astrophysicist. He teams with a female astrophysicist (uncast so far), and together they find out that the moon is so out of whack that it's going to collide with the earth. How do they solve the problem? Well, we'll just have to tune in to find out.

tee

Exciting news. I wouldn't mind seeing Bell play opposite Elliot again. but please not Nanci Chambers, they are great together but not on screen. I can't wait for DJE in another tv show.

April 21 2008 at 4:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Sporadic weightlessness? I'm in! :D

Sounds like it could be fun -- just too bad they don't think there's enough to make this a series. Then again, maybe they have the right idea after all.

April 19 2008 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

Oh .. my .. God .. Sporadic weightlessness? Dwarf star colliding w/ the moon, but not destroying the Earth?

I'm guessing that $13 million didn't buy a science advisor.

April 19 2008 at 1:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Shades of Irwin Allen here. Sounds fun! I'll tune in for a slice of cheese.

April 18 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coronaboy

Can't wait to see this, sound cool, I agree... no Cathrine Bell just yet, they need a few more years apart from JAG. Don't get me wrong, they make a great team, it's just too soon.

April 18 2008 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TV Revival

My mom will be thrilled...

April 18 2008 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

Holy crap! I wrote a story remarkably similar to this in my Creative Writing class in college ten years ago! Hmmm, I wonder if this guy Michael Vickerman was in my class???

April 18 2008 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

Sometimes cheese is good and fun.

I don't care about the "comparisons" that will be made between this and JAG....PLEASE cast Catherine Bell as the female astrophysicist!!!

April 18 2008 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Ralph's comment
nancyeddy

No, no, no! No CB, please! There hasnt' been enough time between now and JAG for them to have established separate careers outside of Harm and Mac.

Anyone but CB, please!

That said, I'm seriously looking forward to this movie. It'll be nice to see him on TV again.

April 18 2008 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkim

I agree!! I'd love to see DJE and CB on the TV screen again, their ratings would be through the roof!! These two are a dynamite team!!!

April 19 2008 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply