July 29, 2014

Adam Beach checks out of Law & Order: SVU

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 19th 2008 9:26AM
Adam BeachThere's been another transfer out of the squad at NBC. Detective Chester Lake has turned in his badge. Actor Adam Beach is leaving Law and Order: SVU. He'll be on the show till the end of this season -- his one and only with Law and Order: SVU.

Adam Beach, who was also excellent in the Clint Eastwood feature Flags of Our Fathers as the troubled serviceman Ira Hayes, uncomfortable with the acclaim he received as one of the men who rose the flag at Iwo Jima, received a number of award nominations for his role on the HBO mini-series Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. It was on that project that he worked with producer Dick Wolf.

"From the first day I met him on the set of Bury My Heart, I was knocked out by his commitment, dedication and total immersion in the film's most crucial role," said Wolf.

The producer signed Beach to a one-year deal for Law and Order: SVU, with a mutual option for a second year. Either had the option to go ahead with year two or not. It's not surprising that Adam has decided to move on. He has had few opportunities to shine on SVU, and the writer's strike probably scewed up any plans for a story arc to give his character some heft. As a regular viewer, I can recall just a few shows where he was spotlighted. In a statement, the actor said, "I very much enjoyed my year on Law & Order: SVU. Now I'm looking forward to new adventures."

There's been a lot of departures in the Law and Order ranks of late. Jesse Martin's last L&O airs next week, and earlier this week, SVU announced that Diane Neal is leaving the series, too. Is it something in the water at Dick Wolf Productions? Cost cutting? Just wondering...

pirateclothes

His speech pattern is actually a native american accent.

May 20 2008 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pirate

His speech pattern is actually a native american accent. It made sense for me in that light.

May 20 2008 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

His wierdly deliberate speech pattern drove me crazy, especially surrounded by all those fast-talking "New Yorkers." He was good for the show's diversity, but bad in every other way.

April 21 2008 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itsy

I agree that SVU needs more John Munch. Adam Beach's shining moment on this show was when he closed an episode with the line "I'm taking you guys to dinner at Red Lobster!!!"

April 19 2008 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to itsy's comment
Jim

Nice work!

I was going to reference that line, but I didn't think anyone would get it.

April 19 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I remember that line too. One of the few lines on SVU that were actually laughable.

April 19 2008 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtms

I agree his character was a complete bore. Bring Munch back on the show and let him and Ice T be partners again. They worked much better.

April 19 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

I have to say, he might be a good actor but I don't think he was a particularly good fit with the show. His character just seemed... uninteresting. I was a HUGE SVU fan in season 3-5 but ever since Stephanie March left the show's just gotten worse and worse. Hope they'll create a bit more interesting character to replace him.

April 19 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply