July 30, 2014

Get Smart coming to DVD (no, not that one) - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 21st 2008 1:00PM

Get Smart DVDWe've already told you about the complete series Get Smart DVDs, but did you know that there was an updated version of the show, and it starred Andy Dick?! The complete series of this version is being released on DVD on June 3.

I actually knew about this, but I always thought it was just a pilot movie or a pilot that didn't go to series, but it actually lasted seven episodes on FOX. The odd thing is, it aired in 1995, when Dick started NewsRadio. Apparently he only appeared in the pilot (according to the IMDB link above) and then went on to NewsRadio from there. That sounds a little odd to me, since he played the son of Agent 86 and Agent 99. Plus he's on the cover of the DVD. Hmmmm. If anyone has any other information about the show let me know in the comments below.

After the jump, the opening credits of the show.

Update: According to TV.com, Dick was in every episode. Also, one of the extras on the set is in an episode of NewsRadio, which is understandable (plus an ep of T.J. Hooker, which is not).

Bearxor

Watched every episode when it was on. It was BAAAADDD. Worse than bad. Horrible. If this DVD is like $5, I'd consider it.

April 21 2008 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Radio Dan

When these episodes aired Andy Dick had already moved on and when asked about it I remember him apologizing. As in "Hey how about that New Get Smart that's on?" "Oh yeah, I'm sorry about that." I remember him also saying that Don Adams really did not want to do the show. There is ONE decent episode, it's one where Adams is finally in the lead and chasing Zeigfried around.

April 21 2008 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I think the studio and Fox knew the show was a stinker after the initial order was filmed (and before it ever aired). Andy Dick was probably long done with this Get Smart series when he was signed for NewsRadio. Just my guess.

April 21 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

It had the real people in it and it only lasted 7 episodes?

And why have I never heard of this show?

April 21 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
Scott

Oreo, just watch the clip and you'll know why you haven't heard of it. It stunk, compared to the original. And I'll testify to the greatness of the (Original) Complete Series DVD set from Time-Life--it's one of the best DVD sets I've ever bought, and well worth it! The packaging and the extras show a level of love and care that few sets reach.

April 21 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply