September 1, 2014

Hey, today is the start of TV Turnoff Week!

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 21st 2008 3:41PM

TV TurnoffEvery April we can usually look forward to the annual "TV Turnoff Week." It's the week when we're supposed to turn off our televisions and, I don't know, go outside and built a tree fort or something. But this year, something strange has happened: "TV" is no longer in the title.

Yup, that's right, it's no longer called "TV Turnoff Week," it's now called just "Turnoff Week."

Seems that the Center for Screen-Time Awareness (actually the Center for SCREEN TIME Awareness, like they're yelling at you) has changed the name because we spend a lot of time in front of computers now as well as TV sets. So I guess the group wants you to shut off your computer, because that's just as evil for you as TV is. Of course, they don't really tell you what to do if you work in an office or a web site and your work involves working on a computer, but hey, that's not their problem. I love how their alternatives to watching TV include having a cookout or playing cards. As if you can't do these and watch TV during the week (and I still don't understand how reading a book, eating, and playing cards gets you more in shape than watching TV). Next year they want you to turn off your microwave oven, your iPod, and your Conair hair dryer.

We've had many discussions about TV Turnoff Week in the past, here, here, and here. I think we should celebrate this week by watching more television than humanly possible.

[via TV Tattle]

ac

"Hey lets make it the same week every popular scripted show returns from hiatus. That'll get people to participate."

Someone was high when they came up with the date. Sorry but I'm not missing Lost.

April 21 2008 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

Uh... no. I did that when the only choices you had were reruns, and reality BS.

AKA the strike.

With Robin Sparkles on tonight, and FINALLY new GA... um... nope... not in this household.

April 21 2008 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I am going to observe this next year when all the networks come out with all their new shows that they will just cancel anyway before the season is even over. No more new shows for me until they fix the broken ratings system. I am tired of them dipshits cancelling all the good shows and keeping a bunch of crappy reality crap.

April 21 2008 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

April 21 2008 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darth Ackbar

Yeah, I have a different name for this week. It's called "The Week That LOST Returns". Sorry. No I'm not.

April 21 2008 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Just try to turn off the TV during BSG and you'll draw back a nub.

April 21 2008 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Machine

I don't own a television... should I turn off my Hulu?

April 21 2008 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Haha, such a bad week to do this.

April 21 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

Not a chance - all new shows tonight and this week + Lost on Thursday and the NHL Playoffs - I think someone was severely drunk when they decided to have this in April!

April 21 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

I plan on turning off the TV all summer. I'm going to start when the finales are over and go until the premieres start in the fall. I figure if I don't watch ANY TV I might actually do something constructive with my free time, like draw more comics:

April 21 2008 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply