December 18, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: Sandcastles in the Sand - VIDEOS

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 21st 2008 10:42PM
Robin Sparkles(S03E16) Bless the peapickin' little hearts of Carter Bays and Craig Thomas. All week, they've been setting us up, telling us about the return of Robin Sparkles, saying that we were going to get an episode full of eighties and nineties goodness, complete with James Van Der Beek, Tiffany, and Alan Thicke. We even got a video (full video is after the end of the review) as a taste.

But all of it was a ruse. A week-long ruse to distract us from realizing what was really going to happen in this episode. Since I don't want to spoil it for anyone, come with me to the after-jump portion of our review and then we can talk.

Holy living crap! Barney and Robin finally hooked up!

We knew this was coming... kinda. There were always signs that the two of them had some sort of attraction to each other. Barney's advances, as you'd expect, were obvious. But you saw Robin briefly consider going with Barn as recently as a couple of weeks ago, when he whispered in her ear and she giggled a 'no' when asked if it affected her (Robin giggles when she lies). And, the two of them had shared that certain alpha-male temperament. So, this was inevitable. But... not this week, and not how it happened.

HIMYM: Sandcastles in the sandYes, we've seen a sympathetic Barney before. And calling Robin the second most awesome person he's ever known (besides the person in the mirror) is one of the most sympathetic things I've ever heard Barney say. But when they go back to Robin's place and he nervously asked if he could "put it in," we all knew he was talking about the video. So even that obvious gag was a diversion, because after they watched "Sandcastles in the Sand" over and over, making jokes about how it could be a tampon commercial if it was recut properly, all of a sudden, they're all over each other. And all seems right with the universe. Nice job, Carter and Craig>

The rest of the episode had its moments, but it was only OK. I get the concept of "Revertigo," even if Ted doesn't accept the catchy name Marshall gave it. I mean, I act like a dopey college kid when I see my college friends, so it's not like the idea isn't universal. The funniest case of revertigo was Lily's; she talks street when she's around her friend Michelle. The funny thing is, Michelle, who's in the middle of her dissertation at Columbia, also has revertigo, as Lily brings the "you go, girlfriend" out of her too. Who knew?

Van Der Beek plays a pretty good loser, doesn't he? Balding, chubby, really into his band and water slide job (which Marshall would have envied if the park had a wave pool). It was odd to see Robin, the gal who seems to have her act together most of the time, melt in the presence of this goober. But it was also pretty funny, especially when she was twirling her hair and acting all silly in his presence. She even lugged all his instruments back to that crappy wood-paneled van, just like she did in the nineties. But she lost out Louise Marsh again... there's no way she can get a "Jacuzze" in that apartment; it's just too small.

More fun stuff:

• Robin playing Simon's song "Murder Train" over the Puppy Corner segment. At least it led to more adoptions...
  • M&L taking the role of Robin's parents, complete with Robin threatening to "go all the way" with Simon.
  • The series of Canadian jokes, most of which we didn't hear because Old Ted fast-forwarded through most of them. Barney asking "did you give him the 'O, Canada' face?" is the Best Barneyism of the week.
  • Though Lily's line that "he's not that Inuit" was probably the best one.
  • Simon's band was named The Foreskins... because there are four of them and they play shirtless. It was a very groinal night on CBS, by the way; I heard the word "balls" twice within the span of three minutes as Two and a Half Men ended and Rules of Engagement started.
  • "He's red province! He's from the deep North!" God, I love this show's Canada jokes.
  • Since Cobie Smulders is from Vancouver, her cartoonish Canadian accent from her youth sounds believable. Van Der Beek, who was born in Connecticut, sounded like a bad version of the McKenzie Brothers.
  • "Summer in Canada is like the last week of July," according to Robin. It leads to a lot of short relationships.

HIMYM: Sandcastles in the sandOf course, we can go over the video -- Robin Sparkles' "big artistic follow-up" to "Let's Go to the Mall" -- but that might be a whole post by itself, between the reference to traveling the world from "Alberta to Ontario" to the fact that it was the "best week and a half of my life." It was the funniest part of the episode, but in light of what happened at the end, seems pretty insignificant now.

Like I said, it wasn't a great episode, but the story advancement was significant enough that it deserves a pass from HIMYM fans. So, what do you folks think? Do Robin and Barney have a future together? Let me know in the comments.

What do you think is going to happen to Robin and Barney?
Eh. It'll be another one of Barn's one night stands171 (14.1%)
They're great together and they're going to be together for awhile.719 (59.3%)
I don't care, as long as she doesn't get back together with Ted.323 (26.6%)

Sandcastles in the Sand

AT

I was going to say the same thing that paisley said about the fake Newfie accent. Ditto about Alanis instead of Tiffany. It didn't look like Tiffany and I question if it really was her but I can't imagine that they'd reference her like that without it actually being her.

Joel: Vancouverites definitely don't speak that way, so Cobie/Robin's accent was not believable in the least. Simon and teen-Robin's accents sounded to me more like the accents in the movie Fargo.
Silly American.

This was one of my favourite episodes this season. The cast was once again solid, and NPH particularly impresses me almost every time.

April 23 2008 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sabash

When watching the video I noticed in Robin's journal "R + S 4eva." Could it be foreshadowing? Robin & Swarley forever?

April 22 2008 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

i saw the episode once angain fully awake and IT WAS LEGENDARY!!! and really funny all the away!!! LOVE EVEN MORE THE LAST PART!!! :)

April 22 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JFTA

I thought it was hilarious that the first line in the song was "I met you at the mall." Loved the episode! Saw the hook up coming, but further down the road. I agree with other posters that it would be funny if Robin was treating it as a casual thing and Barney was in love.

Have we met Robin's parents? I don't remember. Would love to see that dynamic.

April 22 2008 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

I love those videos. This one was as good as the first. Robin and Barney may or may not wind up together, but I hope that they finally do. Barney finally noticed Robin for the wonderful, beautiful woman that she is. She may be the ONE that finally tames Barney.

April 22 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Fran's comment
nattyff

he was been noticing her for a while... Robin was the dificult to get!!! :)

April 22 2008 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

Which is why it's so funny. It'a a Canadian thing.

April 22 2008 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AmyD

Just an ok episode? Were you watching what I was watching? It was great and hilarious! Robin Sparkles, Canada jokes, Robin and Barney's long simmering hook up, Marshall and Lily acting like parents - what more could you ask for?

April 22 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catzonder

Seriously, I like them together. I think Barney and Robin briefly switched personalities and Robin should become a pick-up artist like Barney, based on her conquest of Barney. Like she absorbs all of Barney's humor and sharpness. But only for an episode. The show can't function without Barney being Barney. It's unsettling, like in the Yips.

I also don't like Ted for Robin. Never have. Is it just me?

April 22 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Catzonder's comment
Catzonder

What I MEANT to say was:
I think Barney and Robin SHOULD briefly switch personalities and Robin should become a pick-up artist like Barney, based on her conquest of Barney. Like she absorbs all of Barney's humor and sharpness.

April 22 2008 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

i didn't think i'd like them together, but I DO!!

dawson's scottish brogue was retarded.

i absolutely heart the concept of robin sparkles, but i can't get over the fact that she was supposed to be a mall teen queen in the mid nineties... a good 8 years after that genre died...

April 22 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Quito

Amazing! I have been waiting for that hookup since curvier Robin first suited up back in season 1! There has always been this palpable yet whimsical sexual tension between Robin and Barney and I'm really excited we get to explore this!

I agree with Adrienne that Barney is actually going to get a lot more attached than Robin. While both have never been much for commitment, Robin has been open to it and know that right now is not good for her. Barney on the other hand fears commitment and how being comfortable with someone will change his bachelor lifestyle. But like in season 2 when Lilly moved in and Barney actually felt comfortable and open we could really get to see vulnerable Barney secretly pining for someone he genuinely cares about.

But I don't think it will ultimately lead to them getting together. They're both too independent for it. They might try it out, but Aunt Robin and Uncle Barney won't be married.

And I think this will be handled much more efficiently than the Friends thing with Rachel and Joey. Subtle buildup and justified payoff vs SO much buildup and no payoff (why couldn't they just let them have a chance! Dammit it could have worked! And they wasted sooooo much time! Why couldn't they try?).

btw I love 90's Lilly!