October 23, 2014

Khandi Alexander is leaving CSI: Miami

by Jen Creer, posted Apr 21st 2008 1:21PM
khandi alexander 042108Late last week, TV Guide's Michael Ausiello reported that Khandi Alexander is leaving CSI: Miami at the end of the season. Alexander is know for her fierce but tender Medical Examiner alter ego Alexx Woods. There is no word yet about how the character will depart, but Ausiello hints strongly that the reason for the departure is some issues Alexander has with an aspect of the show.

Who knows? Cast members are leaving CSI, too (first Jorga Fox and now Gary Dourdan), so maybe there is just a limit to how long you can do this kind of show (intense, lots of blood and gore, often depressing). I haven't followed the plots on CSI: Miami, so I don't know what kinds of issues Alexander would have with the show.

She is a terrific actress; one of the standout episodes for me was her grief over working on the body of a child, and how she combined tears with professionalism during the episode. She will have no trouble finding other work out there.

Reportedly, there is a search for a new medical examiner, and this one will be male.

Melzenia Scott

I'm really a fan of CSI Miami and Khandi Alexander and David Caruso were mainly the reason. I enjoy both their characters and Khandi's humanity was a refreshing note to the violence and death. I will miss her and wish her well in whatever she does next.

May 28 2008 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Imbz48

Yeah!!! Sge's gone!!!

No more AWWW SUGGA!!!

No more T&A and high heels in the autopsy suite!!

May 09 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sluggo62

I'm glad to see her go. I have to agree with everyone else, very strange when she kept calling the deceased Sugar and Baby and rubbed their hair. Never would she caught dead with the mask on, but at least it was always neatly placed on her chest. She can use a saw on someone and not get a piece on her. Nice high heels during the autopsy, sure the deceased appreciated it.
I hope that was just her character and not her in 'real life'.

May 06 2008 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sluggo62's comment
Margo

what do you mean everyone else, Khandi was great in this show, she showed some emotion, whats wrong with a little of that? My friends, family and I love CSI Miami, its a great show and we never ever miss it,,, we love David Caruso and the whole cast members.....so don't link us to the very few that don't seem to know the difference of a good show and a bad show...

May 07 2008 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

Hate to see you go Khandi! You will very much be missed! So that's the end of CSI Miami for me. Tantamount to jumping the shark, for as my friends & I are concerned! I imagine she's leaving because she is African American & wanted to be treated and paid as well as all the other main characters of the show. SAME OLE STORY, right CBS?

May 06 2008 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cool Beans

I'm sorry to see Khandi go! It's rare that we see a black woman in this type of role. But, of course, they will replace her with a white man....as usual!!

Khandi, can't wait to see you in your next role! Best of Luck!!

May 05 2008 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cool Beans's comment
Elizaabeth

I agree that the role was a positive one for a black female - there aren't too many stable ones out there! I'll miss her for that. However unrealistic some think her conversations with her 'clients', it showed a human side to a very difficult profession. Wouldn't we all like to think that even the dead deserve some compassion?

May 09 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s thompson

"Why they renew this show year after year is a mystery to me"

Perhaps because it generally wins the night for CBS and helped kill just about everything NBC and ABC try to throw against it. Look no further than the rotting carcasses of October Road and Journeyman.

April 22 2008 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

I must admit, CSI: Miami's been my guilty pleasure show for years now. I used to be a huge fan of the original, Las Vegas, but more and more I've been leaning toward Miami, because it's so over the top and cheesy. It's less depressing than CSI: Las Vegas.

Too bad Khandi Alexander is leaving the show, I always liked her character. I'm not such a HUGE fan that I'm gonna throw a fit if characters leave/die, it's understandable that the actors might want to do something else after being on the show for so many years.

I just wish they would have steered away from the Calleigh Duquesne/Eric Delko relationship crap, but they've hinted at it for a while so...

April 22 2008 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I hear the reason she is leaving is that in the credits for next year Caruso's sunglasses were gonna get a higher billing above her.

I cannot believe people watch this show. Caruso is awful and unwatchable. As for the others, I couldn't tell you who else is on the show. Just terrible.

April 21 2008 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Chris's comment
MK

Agreed! Caruso is just awful! And the blonde (never bothered to remember her name since I don't watch this lame show) is no actress at all! Why they renew this show year after year is a mystery to me.

April 21 2008 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MK

April 21 2008 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

while she's good at drama, i really hope she tries her hand at comedy again...i was SO hot for her on newsradio, and her timing/rapport with phil hartman was amazing - and talk about about fierce business suits! speaking of newsradio, anyone know what the saucy redhead's up to these days? why kathy griffin is famous and she isn't is a mystery to me...

April 21 2008 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

"Aw sugar, why'd she have to leave the show so young.."

Finally! Maybe I'll start watching again--I couldn't stand her character and that stupid "Aw sugar" stuff at every dead body. I was so happy years ago when they said a character was going to die--but once I saw it was Speedle, I deleted my TiVo season pass.

April 21 2008 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Kyle's comment
BC McKinney

Don't forget calling every corpse "baby boy" or "baby girl" no matter how old they are. This is of course the writers' fault, and not the actress', but Sid and Doc Robbins manage to be colorful without being so annoying.

April 21 2008 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Lol... the awe sugar line always got a great laugh from my wife and I when were still watching the show. I don't blame her for leaving; she never really was a huge part of the show.

April 21 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply