November 24, 2014

Stump the King: The Greatest American Hero

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 21st 2008 7:23AM

The Greatest American HeroI got a crazy question this week and I must admit I am completely stumped.

Jean Noel writes, "Me and my brother are trying to remember a movie made for TV or a show. I think it aired in the 80's. He can remember a man with some sort of powers. When in danger, parts of his body transformed in some sort of robot. One time he was running from the bad guys and his hand shot some sort of laser and another he was running and a wall fell on top of him half his body turned into this robot like thing at the end of the movie he became that robot like superhero. Can anyone help me with the name of this show or movie?"

I have no idea what show Jean is talking about but it sounds very cool. If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

As a kid, I was crazy for shows about superheroes. I would religiously watch any show that featured any comic book like characters and I was crushed when they were inevitably cancelled. I never even noticed how horrible they were. Spider Man, Captain America, Shazam, The Incredible Hulk, every one of them was in my line up.

One that I remember quite fondly was The Greatest American Hero. I loved the rapport between William Katt and Robert Culp and I loved how the suit seemed to have a variety of powers. The only thing that bugged me about the show was the flying gag. You'd think that eventually Ralph would be able to at least, figure out that one basic power. I always felt cheated that the show never had a proper finale and I'm sure I'm one of many people who have been waiting too long for a reunion. Heck, I'd even settle for a remake of the failed pilot with the female hero.

Here is this week's question...

What was Bill Maxwell's favorite snack?

Congratulations, Mike! Dog biscuits is the correct answer.

Marci

it sounds like it could be Holmes and Yo Yo. They were 2 cops. John Schuck Played Yo Yo. A robot cop. It was a comedy. It was so funny. I loved it.

April 21 2008 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

Good call on Scott Bakula.

1987 Infiltrator - CBS summer Playhouse.

According to IMDB: "A scientist creates a teleportation device. While experimenting, he beams himself into another scientists experimental artificially intelligent space exploration device, which gets absorbed into his molecules. Now, whenever he is in danger, he transforms into a armored super cyborg. As a result, he is recruited as a secret agent"

April 21 2008 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

Try This:

April 21 2008 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

The Bakula show was called Infiltrator. It was on something called CBS Summer Playhouse that aired unsold pilots and asked viewers to call in and offer opinions (late 1980s).

Shazam...now that was quality TV.

April 21 2008 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
htchkr

It could have been the Scott Bakula pilot for a serier before Quantum Leap. I never saw it,but I did read about in one of his interviews. It was something about hime merging with a computer/robot and geting some powers like what are described.

April 21 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Houston

Ultraman, maybe?

April 21 2008 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CT

Could it be Automan?

April 21 2008 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CT's comment
RadioScott

That's what came to my mind, too. But Jean's description isn't how I remember that show.

April 21 2008 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes

I remember it too.... One of the networks has a 'pilot theater', where they showed a bunch of show pilots. It was basically 'The Incredible Hulk', but he turned into a robot instead of the Jolly Green Giant.

Can't remember the name though....

April 21 2008 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Bill liked dog biscuits, in particular Milk Bones.

April 21 2008 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keithnl

Oh Man I can remembe this too.

I never saw the show, but it was part of some sort of VH1 special, they showed clips from Manimal and a show where a detective reincarnates as a dog.

April 21 2008 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply