TV Obits: Court, Grasshoff, Byrne, Oliver, Gilford
by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 21st 2008 11:21AM
A roundup of TV people from in front of the camera and behind the scenes who have passed away.
- Hazel Court: She was the actress known as the "Scream Queen." Besides appearing in such classic horror flicks as The Masque of the Red Death, The Raven, and The Curse of Frankenstein, she also did a lot of TV, including episodes of The Twilight Zone, Mannix, Mission: Impossible, Burke's Law, The Wild, Wild West, Gidget, Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Rawhide, McMillan & Wife, and many other shows. She died of a heart attack at age 82.
- Alex Grasshoff: He was a TV and film director/producer (he won and Oscar for Young Americans in 1969 but had to give it back when his film was declared ineligible) who worked on such shows as The Rockford Files, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Toma, The Rookies, CHiPs, several National Geographic Specials and several ABC Afterschool Specials. He died after surgery at age 79.
- Johnny Byrne: He wrote for several TV shows, including Space: 1999, Doctor Who, All Creatures Great and Small, Tales of the Unexpected, Noah's Ark, One By One, Heartbeat, and many others. He died on April 2.
- Stephen Oliver: He played Lee Webber on Peyton Place and appeared on many other showed, including Bracken's World, Streets of San Francisco, The Immortal, CHiPs, Starsky & Hutch, and Code R. He died of cancer at age 68.
- Madeline Lee Gilford: Sometimes credited as Madeline Lee (she was married to actor Jack Gilford for 40 years), Gilford made several apperances as a judge on Law and Order and appeared on such shows as Mad About You and The Beat. She also appeared in such movies as The Savages, Save The Tiger, and Cocoon: The Return. She died at age 84.