April 19, 2014

Farscape going to comics

by Keith McDuffee, posted Apr 22nd 2008 12:23PM
farscapeAdd another television show to the list of those heading to the comic-book afterlife. The Jim Henson company has just made a deal with BOOM! Studios to create several four-issue series adapted from Farscape. The series of books will take advantage of webisodes that will be featured on SciFi.com, created by Rockne S. O'Brannon, the original series creator.

I know at least a few people who are huge fans of Farscape. It's one of those shows that, I have to admit, I never even attempted to watch. At first glance, I didn't like the idea of crazy-looking aliens and thought it would just be too, I dunno, silly to get into. I know -- this coming from a guy who thinks Buffy is one of the greatest shows ever. Now that the show is gone and sci-fi fans still speak longingly about the series, I keep thinking I need to get the DVDs (all four seasons are, incidentally, already available). Might make a cool Retro Squad series here someday, no?

Gianna

Love Farscape...any new format would be welcome!!!!!!

April 23 2008 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the Swamp Rabbit

I watched Farscape from the beginning, and the puppets were one of the things that attracted me to the show in the first place.

ET, the original Star Wars, those crazy Fantasy films of the 80's... they all had puppets. What do we have now?

Jar Jar...

Sure Rygel's a puppet, but I usually forget after the first couple minutes of an episode. Besides, he gets such great lines, who cares?? The makeup on the series is beautiful, the sets are artfully done, and puppets somehow fit in for me.

And it's Jim Henson, man! These aren't puppets, it's animatronics!!Personally, I'm disappointed that post-80's sci-fi has so heavily focused on CGI and forsaken it's roots in models and puppets. The Henson people are still pushing the limits of puppets...

Sure, there are puppets, but at least the actors are delivering their lines to a puppet and not to "where the CGI character will be added in later"... Jar Jar's over here, your talking to a vase Amidala...

April 22 2008 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I am right there with you. Buffy is awesome and Farscape is ... weird. I dropped it halfway into season 2.

April 22 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RIFRAF

I jumped into Farscape in the middle of the 3rd season and became fan immediately. I even went to one of their conventions in Burbank a few years back. It's great show and a great cast/crew.

April 22 2008 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Can you add Arrested Development to Retro Squad? It needs a home somewhere, especially with new rumours of a movie.

April 22 2008 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

I did not watch Farscape until the final season, but got caught up on every episode while it was still on SciFi. I loved that show so much. It was the best scifi show on. I miss it terribly. You should definitely get the DVDs - it is really worth it.

April 22 2008 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

Give Farscape a chance. I also, passed on it initially, thinking a sci fi show with puppets wouldn't be "real" sci fi. It's a great show that gets better as it moves along. Sure there are some cartoon elements (literally in 1 episode), Rigel and Scorpious are over played but it has some truly fantastic episodes and a mythology that hangs together over time. Even the inevitable love triangles have twists and are well done. They did personal relationships much better than BG. I'm still upset that Farscape got canned and crap like Stargate is still being produced (and that crap like Stargate got a greater audience share than Farscape).

April 22 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

They need to be rereleased, don't studios love doing that now-a-days?

April 22 2008 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TeresaMac

I LOVE Farscape and would be thrilled if TV Squad would start writing about it on Retro Squad.

April 22 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kirby

For some definition of available. Farscape was released under old pricing structures, for $150/season (on sale now at amazon for only $80 a season!) And availability on Netflix is decreasing, with a lot of discs in the 'save' category.

This series is badly in need of a rerelease, in thin-packs, for $30 bucks a season, like everything else these days.

The plots vary in quality, but the character writing is great throughout, and when they hit their stride, it's a worthwhile show.

April 22 2008 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kirby's comment
Akbar Fazil

Farscape already did get a re-release on it's dvd sets. The "Starburst" packs were thin pack re-releases of the seasons.

April 22 2008 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply