July 29, 2014

NBC changes time slot for 30 Rock (but not for the reason you think)

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 22nd 2008 2:40PM

30 RockIf you haven't heard, 30 Rock and Scrubs are switching time slots starting this Thursday. 30 Rock will now be seen at 9:30 for the rest of the season while Scrubs moves to the 8:30 slot.

A lot of people (including myself) assumed that this was because of the rent "MILF Island" episode of the show. NBC received a lot of complaints about the episode, saying it was too raunchy for the "family hour," the 8pm to 9pm time that has always (sort of) been for family viewing (NBC even touted a "family hour" when they announced their new lineup a few weeks ago). Now comes word from the network that the switch isn't happening because of the controversy. But the real reason is just as interesting.

They're moving the show to 9:30 so it has a better lead-in (The Office) and can give the show more exposure as Tina Fey's new movie Baby Mama opens. The network does say, however, that when the fall rolls around the show will be back in its regular 8:30 time slot after My Name Is Earl.

Spaz

poor NBC i still wont be watching scrubs. I have the two eps since the season started and no matter how bored or how much I want something to watch, I can bring myself to viewing them.

April 22 2008 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I love "30 Rock", of course, but I'm curious to see what its ratings will be like after "The Office" compared to "Scrubs". Last week "Scrubs" did beat "30 Rock", and I bet NBC (seeing as how they're only airing one of those 2 shows next year) is wishing their baby (pun intended) can have the higher ratings.

Does a lead-in really affect rating, though? I've never watched a show based on what is on before or after it. I know when the shows I like are on, and tune in to watch them.

April 22 2008 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

That actually evens out my schedule perfectly. On thursdays I was going to Tivo 30 Rock, watch Smallville, watch The Office, watch 30 Rock on Tivo, then watch Lost. Now Tivo is unneeded.

April 22 2008 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

They lose their lead-in audience from Earl, so they want to lose more? Viewers leave then turn back in for the next show, and that is going to change how?

April 22 2008 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Any way the switch it, I usually find something else to watch on a different network on Thursday nights. I don't see how The Office will give 30 Rock more viewers, and it seems like Baby Mama is being promoted really well as it is.

April 22 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JW's comment
Joey Geraci

That is so sad for you. Really, I feel sorry for you that you don't indulge yourself in NBC's Thursday night lineup. You are missing out.

April 22 2008 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s thompson

I thought the real reason was to try and kill Scrubs as much as possible before ABC finds a decent time slot for it. Silly me!

April 22 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victor

I just want NBC to start up "ALF Island"...

April 22 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noah

I thought they were doing it to at least put up a fight against Grey's which returns Thursday - because I already picked the Office over Grey's now it looks like NBC will have me until Lost starts - (best night of TV ever by the way)

April 22 2008 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

They should ditch Scrubs altogether and show back-to-back episodes of 30 Rock!

April 22 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jim's comment
Michael L

I agree. I'm sick of Parker Lewis Can't Loose. What is that show still on the air?

April 22 2008 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bd

Dude, Parker Lewis? That needs to be on DVD.

April 22 2008 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply