April 18, 2014

Boston Legal: The Court Supreme

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 23rd 2008 9:02AM

Two of the best things on television(S04E17) I don't want to seem like I'm not happy for Jerry but did we really need to know so much about him losing his virginity and by "so much" I mean anything at all? More importantly, I have to call BS on Jerry's glowing review of his opening night performance. In my many years of "intimacy," some experiences have certainly been better than others but none of them have ever made me nostalgic for my first time. Not that I don't remember it fondly, it's just not something I would brag about and I really doubt that anyone involved would describe me as caring, respectful or wonderful.

I must admit, Mr. Kelley had me at "THE United States Supreme Court." This was a real test for Alan. On one hand, how does he justify defending a man convicted of raping a child? On the other hand, how will his huge ego be able to pass up the opportunity to argue in front of the highest court in the country?

It's really refreshing to see everyone acting the way a lawyer would actually act, for a change. Any attorney would sell his soul to go to the show (and I'm sure some have, figuratively speaking). The part that rings so true is how Carl, Denny and even Alan are mainly concerned with themselves. I'm sure Alan wants to help his client, but a victory in D.C. would justify all the years he has spent acting superior, not to mention all the tail he'll get.

I was particularly impressed by Carl's enthusiasm about the case. It's nice to see that, when it comes to his firm, he's not just interested in making money, he also wants the kind of prestige that can lead to money. He knows that winning a case in front of the Supreme Court will have clients begging CP&S to take their case and then Carl can name any price he wants.

I have often voiced how unimpressed I am with Saffron Burrows and her character's storylines but tonight was the final straw. Firstly, the storyline about the hot lady who dates a weirdo and turns out to be a hooker is tired. More importantly, the idea that a prestigious law firm would employ somebody who uses a false identity, misleads her clients and is a practicing whoremaster is so ludicrous that if this were any other show, I would stop watching. Only my undying devotion to Bill Shatner keeps me from abandoning this show (although the insipid fart joke is pushing it), so instead, I am forced to ignore this asinine storyline altogether. Let's never speak of it again.

The scene with Denny in the bar gave me mixed emotions. The Bill Clinton lookalike was rather lame considering he looked very little like Clinton. However, for the first time in history, I actually remembered something about Ally McBeal that I enjoyed, plus it reminded me to get back my copy of The Transformed Man from my ex.

I'm split on Alan's argument as well. I am willing to excuse his weekly political statement and was actually pleased that someone finally called him on it, but I don't think any lawyer would get away with saying the things Alan said. His own trainer told him he would be shut down. However, I can't ignore that it was a brilliant speech. To cover so many topics and do so in such an eloquent fashion was definitely Emmy-worthy, on the part of Spader as well as the writers of this episode. Not to mention Alan helped Denny win his bet.

As for the last minute voice-over about moving to Wednesdays, it was executed brilliantly, which, truth be told, is something I have come to expect from BL.

Will the Supreme Court decide in Alan's favor?
Yes132 (37.2%)
No71 (20.0%)
We'll never know152 (42.8%)

RC

I thought the attack on the justices was way out of line and I don't think he should have gotten away with it.

May 01 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

That was supposed to be Bubba? I loved when Denny was hitting on Ginsberg. I can believe Jerry's cherry-popping moment went well because if you recall he has had plenty of practice on his dolls, plus his woman is a real pro as we all found out. We had to know there was gonna be something seriously wrong with her. I thought it was gonna be daddy issues. I miss having Mark Valley & Craig Bierko on the show. I like it when Alan has a nemesis within the firm. It brings out even more sarcasm out of Alan and makes the show even funnier. I also wish Edwin Poole would get better and finally come on the show full time. That would be great. They need to reshuffle the cast. Keep Alan, Denny, Shirley, Carl, and Katie and axe the rest of them!

April 26 2008 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis

BL is clearly the only thing worth watching on network TV.
The supreme court show was brillant and will win an Emmy. Or Spader will be arrested by the Bush Administration and, he can never go near Louisiana. I have been a long time conservative, but Spader's cases highlight problems we are all hiding from addressing.

April 23 2008 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I, for one, thought the 'insipid' fart joke was totally in character for Denny Crane.

April 23 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I think the show's still got it (Alan's speech a week or two ago on reality tv...didn't that just make you feel like absolute dirt for ever looking at it? yikes...) but I think with their possible cancellation they're being really, really careful and having a lot of short term storylines to try and get in what they can.

April 23 2008 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I agree the show lost its way and this episode frames it perfectly.

They added new people in season 3, they worked, yet they all left. Now they have big names acting like they always do. The storylines are horrible and too far fetched, even for Boston Legal.

I hope it gets another season, just to finish the show up, but seasons 1-3 are the best, and now it's just fading.

April 23 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
Akbar Fazil

The show has had a revolving cast since season 1. Hell, even some of the originals from the "back door pilot" episodes of The Practice didn't make it over. So I wouldn't really blame the shuffling cast for your issues with the show.

I personally don't see how the show has lost its way. It has evolved into something different.

April 23 2008 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Primal

I'm afraid the show is going the way, many of David E. Kelleys shows have gone before: Declining to the way of becoming awful. And I purely am talking about the storytelling. The acting is superb.
But just as awful as some of the story elements are some characters. Saffron Burrows is hot, yes. But that doesn't excuse having her on the show with nothing to do at all. Jerry I just hate, hate, hate. The character is waaaaay over his peak. He annoys me to no end.
Katie on the other hand has so much to offer and yet she does not get any good storylines. The actress is clearly very talented, why can't she have something interesting to do and stop being Jerry's babysitter...

April 23 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply