July 22, 2014

Psych casts Cybill Shepherd as Shawn's mom

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 23rd 2008 5:41PM
Cybill ShepherdThis sounds like good casting to me. Cybill Shepherd is joining Psych for a mini-arc as Shawn's mom. The actress, best known on TV from her hit series Moonlighting (remember, her and Bruce Willis?), has recently been on Showtime's The L Word. Cybill's not a great dramatic actress, but she is pretty funny and should fit in perfectly with the goofy, good-natured fun on Psych.

When Psych comes back to USA Network on July 18 with new shows, her episodes (at least two) will be broadcast. She's playing Madeleine, Henry's ex-wife and Shawn's mama. So far in the series, Maddie (like Maddie Hayes in Moonlighting perhaps?), has not been shown in the scenes depicting Shawn -- and Gus's -- childhood. Corbin Bernsen, who plays Henry, has worn a hairpiece for the retro scenes and goes bald for the present day scenes. We'll see whether Cybill's in both scenes or not...

According to the show, when Madeleine appears in Santa Barbara, she's coming from Europe and wants to visit her sonny boy. The visit, so we're told, dredges up some old memories. And since this is a crime/caper/mystery show, perhaps Maddie's bound to get involved in one of Shawn's cases.

Louise

Very cool news. I have read in the past that the people behind Psych were big Moonlighting fans so I am not surprised that Cybill was cast and her character is named "Madeleine"

April 27 2008 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EbonyDad

See... a spoiler is when you find out that Gus and Shawn are really half brothers. Or Lassiter and O'Hara get married at the end of next season.

Not when they tell you an actress is going to play Shawn's mom.

April 24 2008 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aj

I look at the site for show reviews that were broadcast. It doesn't take much for a headline to read "Shawn's Mother On Psyche Revealed" rather then "Psych casts Cybill Shepherd as Shawn's mom"

April 24 2008 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

When I think of her, the first show I think of is Cybill...

April 24 2008 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julio

If people don't want hear/read spoilers about their TV show, why are they looking at sites that might contain spoilers? Use some common sense people. If spoilers bother you so much avoid the sites at all cost.

April 24 2008 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Time for a spoiler-free RSS-feed.

Or spoiler-free authors.

You know I have been banned from a friend's website because my standards on what I can tell others about upcoming tv-shows have been so much lowered here on TV Squad that I simply thought it's ok to tell people about everything. Which it isn't. A lot of people actually tune in to be surprised. And posts like this one here make me wonder whether it's better to just stop reading here and get "real" about TV again.

April 23 2008 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aj

Thanks for not putting a spoiler in, the show didn't build it up to be a surprise or anything.....

April 23 2008 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply