December 19, 2014

Brothers & Sisters: Why Rebecca will end up with Justin

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 24th 2008 11:21AM
Rebecca and JustinABC's Brothers & Sisters is a show about family -- the close but somewhat dysfunctional Walker clan, to be exact.

But things could get really interesting in the coming weeks, especially for Justin and Rebecca, whom I've always thought were just a little too close for half-siblings. Sure, she helped him through his detox/rehab after he came home from the war, and his half-brotherly love has known no bounds. But I've always suspected these two had an undercurrent of romance rippling through their psyches.

Up until now, they've always thought they shared the same father, with Justin being the son of William and wife Nora, and Rebecca the daughter of William and his lover, Holly.

That could change now that Holly has reconnected with her old flame, David, and the subject of Rebecca's paternity has come up. Holly so much as came out and said David was Rebecca's father, but that she couldn't tell her daughter because it would be too unsettling for the girl when she's already had to deal with the whole William-Holly thing. (And kudos to the Walkers for taking Rebecca and Holly into the fold after William's death.)

On this week's episode, Rebecca made the decision to do a little investigating on her own (she really started suspecting something when David's birthday gift to her was a treasured family heirloom that belonged to his grandmother). Being a little scared, though, Justin offered to go with her when she took the razors, hair samples and other personal effects to the paternity doc.

So let's play this out. If Rebecca and Justin can get past the icky you're-my-sibling thing and end up together, do you think they'd make a good couple? I have a feeling their honeymoon period would last all of 24 hours, and then they'd be squabbling like the rest of the couples on this show.

bec

i dont care if its icky or not. Rebecca and Justin r really cute together and he is SOOOOO FUKING HOT!! Plus i dont really think that the whole thinking u were related to this person mattered. They never acted like they were related so the writers needed to do something. Every1 saw that they were constantly flirting and com on Justin is SOO hot, how can u bag him

May 03 2008 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KTpendragon

Well... I suppose it's a lose/lose situation. I mean, on the one hand, Rebecca has SUCH a good relationship with the whole family - including Justin - and it would be a shame to ruin it!!! But on the other hand, there is definitely chemistry there, I reckon, but that could be an accident (maybe the ACTORS really like one another???) But then, on the THIRD hand (bear with me, people), in the first season Justin specifically said, "You want a DNA test? She's really hot, and I don't feel a thing." (Or something like that, anyway.) So who knows? With the whole alternate father thing it could work, but still, the ick factor would be there. It would be there pretty prominently and I should hope that there would be a big break before the romance began!
But then again, I am with 'huisje' in that we should all remember that this is a TV show, not real life, and anything can happen!!! :) Which is almost a good thing in many ways.

April 28 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nad

It seems rather interesting to see what's going to happen in the next episode, since they had a preview type thing tonight. There's always been like a chemistry that seemed more than sibling love. Now that Rebecca knows that William wasn't her biological father, I wonder how long she can last without making it obvious that she's not a "Walker" after all. I don't think that "ick" factor will last long once Justin finds out, mostly since it kind of seemed like Justin was a bit disappointed that they were related.

April 28 2008 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Tonight's ep just over. They're so getting together.

April 27 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marilyn189

When Rebecca first came on the scene and all the sibs were trying to figure out if she could possibly be their sister, Justin said he was sure she was because (paraphrasing), "She's smokin' hot and I don't feel anything." So that would have him putting out the "no chemistry" thing which shouldn't be reversed now.

April 27 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Marilyn189's comment
huisje

What is icky about the fact that they would fall in love with each other when they know they are no brother and sister. First of all they did not grow up together , they know each other only one year and then find out they are no brother and sister. So what is the issue?????
Then another thing this is a show!!!! it is even not for real so I don't see a reason for someone to stop seeing the show if it would turn out they fall in love.Or even get upset about it. I love the show , hope they fall in love.

April 27 2008 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chgosaint

Brother and sister can happen - look at Angelina Jolie and her brother. We all remember how pleasantly surprised and happy we were for them after their little kiss.

April 24 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Colin

I hate the thought of Rebecca might not be a Walker. She's a Walker to me, I love her relationship with Nora and Justin. It's just too special to spoil it and make her just the "girlfriend". There was so much struggle for the family to accept her - Kitty and Sarah treated her like sh-t (so did Kevin), but they worked through it and have a really nice relationship now.
This will really make me sad and angry if the flip it to make her a NonWalker

April 24 2008 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Ok, I agree with the ick factor a little, and the fact that they have written it that way all along...But I have a theory. I think that through all this we are going to find out that Rebecca is William's daughter, but Justin isn't his son...Just a thought. What do you think?

April 24 2008 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

>>They've been playing these characters this way from the start.>>

Fact: They have been writing Rebecca as a Walker from the start. (Listen to the DVD commentaries from the writers if you have any doubt.) We shouldn't forget all the scenes where the siblings remarked how much Rebecca resembled William. Even Kitty was blown away by the resemblance.

If they change Rebecca's paternity, it will be a retcon. Period. And reducing Rebecca to a love interest would be a real betrayal to Emily VanCamp, IMO. What would happen when they broke up? She'd have to other reason to stay on the show.

April 24 2008 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

plus, they were dating for a while in real life, so that actually help avoid the ick factor a little, at least for me... :)

April 24 2008 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply