April 23, 2014

Hopeful news about The Unit

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 24th 2008 12:41PM
The Unit CBSBack in February, when CBS announced a bunch of renewals for next season as well as which shows would be back with new shows this season, one that was in limbo was The Unit. That led to many emails and questions about the Dennis Haysbert drama and whether CBS was going to stick with the military drama. It's with some hope that I tell you that things are looking up.

Chicago Tribune's Maureen Ryan reported that while the decision has yet to be made, and won't be made for a few more weeks, Shawn Ryan, The Unit's executive producer, is "pretty optimistic." He and his staff of writers have presented an outline for the fourth season explaining where the storylines will be going and how it'll play out. CBS's reaction was very positive. Ryan said things couldn't have gone any better. That's great news for the fans of The Unit who feel like they've been twisting in the wind waiting for word about the show.

Ryan acknowledged that the obstacles in The Unit's way has been the time slot on Tuesday nights. They've been losing out to Dancing with the Stars and House, two dynamic hits that are grabbing most of the viewers and chalking up Nielsen wins. CBS, naturally, wants to be number one, not number three or four.

Also, The Unit is not a CBS owned product. That means it comes to DVDs and syndication, they're not making any money on the deal. That means they have less interest in the long term success of the show. See how it works?

CBS will be announcing their plans in mid-May and we'll have out answer then about The Unit. According to Ryan, "I'm confident that on a creative level and a ratings level the show deserves to return, and I expect it will return, but stranger things have happened in Hollywood and I will wait for official word before popping any champagne," Ryan said. So will we, Shawn, so will we.

Marie

The Unit is the BEST show to come along in a VERY long time!!!! I, too, could CARE LESS about "Reality T.V"!!! What I care about about is the RETURN of this WONDERFUL show!!! PLEASE bring it back!!

June 11 2008 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JE BREEDEN

USED TO WATCH YOUR SHOW AND ENJOYED THE CHARACTERS AND STORY LINE VERY MUCH. HOWEVER, THE PHOTOGRAPHY--THE JERK AND MOVE TYPE REALLY SUCKS--AND MADE ME HAVE MOTION SICKNESS. IF THE SHOW COMES BACK--LOSE THE CAMERA PERSON AND HAVE THE FILMING MORE STEADY. I'M SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO GETS TURNED OFF WITH THE "NEW" REALITY FILMING OR WHATEVER YOU ARE TRYING TO DO.

JEBREEDEN

June 02 2008 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Veronica

My husband and I love the show and believe that it deserves a prime time slot. If there can be 20 different forensics show that capture Americas attention I think having the Unit on would break up the monotonous of reality tv and forensics show.

May 31 2008 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

The unit is my favorite show on TV right now. My wife and I do also watch shows like survivor and american idol, but there is nothing better for entertainment value than The Unit! KEEP IT ON THE AIR!

May 28 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Dottie

I am so excited The Unit is coming back. Aside from Dennis Haysbert, who is so HOT, I cannot imagine CBS junking a show written by David Mamet, one of the great playwrights of this century. It is well written, well cast, and very exciting and realistic. I always say it is a special forces version of McGyver!! I understand they are moving it to Sunday nights which is great. Now I am only disappointed that they aren't giving CANE a second chance to see if it catches on.

May 26 2008 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xavier

I was in Special Forces for 10 solid years, and say that the Unit, is the most realistic show that has even come close to what we used to do in the teams!!!
CBS would be fools not to bring that show back, my buddies and I are DONE with CBS if the Unit is not coming back.
Screw Reality shows, they're freaking boring, people are sick and tired of reality shows.

May 20 2008 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trucker fred

BRING BACK the UNIT.. this is one of only three shows I even bother to watch on TV My wife even watches the show and enjoys it,please bring it back

May 14 2008 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MELISSA

I REALLY HOPE THIS SHOW RETURNS. I DO NOT LIKE REALITY SHOWS. I WATCH SHOWS FOR ENTERTAINMENT VALUE. I COULD CARELESS WHO GOING TO MARRY WHO OR DANCE WITH WHO OR GET WHAT RECORDING CONTRACT AND IF SOMEONE WANTS TO BE A REAL SURVIVER JOIN THE MILITARY.

May 14 2008 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K.C.

I am tired to following the Nielson ratings and the some what monopoly they hold on some decent shows. The demographics they monitor and use to base their decision seems to be slightly ambiguous, since shows like Shark, The Unit, etc are always on the chopping block because of staged reality shows.

May 14 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

This show is even better than the CSI shows which have become so predictable! Reality shows are a joke anymore. I think I will follow suit with everyone else in that if this show is cancelled I will be done with CBS.... again!

May 11 2008 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply