30 Rock: Succession - VIDEO
(S02E13) "That was so easy, like taking candy...from one of those guys who gives out candy at gay nightclubs."
Sorry this review is a little late this week. 30 Rock is one of those shows that I have to watch once, take notes, then watch again quickly so I can make sure I didn't miss any good lines. And this episode, like all 30 Rock episodes, had a lot of great lines.
But if there's anything that I took away from this episode, it's this: the porn video game that Tracy invented better be revisited in a later episode, or sold in the NBC online store with the mugs and t-shirts.
This episode had a primetime soap opera air about it, as Devon Banks comes back for one final battle with Jack to see who gets to take over for Don Geiss as Head of NBC. It looks like Jack has the gig easily after Don tells him that he's running a business and not a family, so the fact that Banks is marrying his daughter doesn't matter, he's giving the job to Jack. But you know that it's not going to go down that easy.
Meanwhile, Tracy is embarrassed when his son Tracy Jr. doesn't invite him to his school's Bring Your Father To School Day (Tracy found out when he went to the school to give Tracy Jr. his "music stick"). Tracy is so embarrassed and upset that he declares to create a legacy for his children that they'll be proud of. He brainstorms with Kenneth and realizes it's not easy ("Damn it, why is leaving a legacy your children will be proud of so hard? It's been a half an hour!"). But he finally hatches an idea: what if he made a combination video game/porn video? Frank says it can't be done ("History's greatest perverts have tried it...Walt Disney, Larry Flynt, the Japanese ... it can't be done"). But after working for a whole six hours, Tracy does it! And Frank is left with sadness and confusion, like Salieri in Amadeus. (By the way, the chart that Frank shows Tracy that illustrates where computer special effects are OK until they reach that creepy human/computer combo like Tom Hanks in The Polar Express? Absolutely true.)
Back to Jack: I knew that when we find out that Don has diabetes and is sick that wouldn't bode well for Jack. After Jack promotes Liz to take over his position and she saves NBC $2 million by not changing a button on certain microwaves), Don goes into a diabetic coma. And of course, Banks isn't about to confess to the board that Jack got the job, so he lies and says he doesn't know what Jack is talking about. He also holds a secret meeting with the board and convinces them that they have to keep the CEO spot in the family ... so they make Kathy the CEO! I have to admit that even though I knew that Banks would be the CEO, I didn't expect the twist of having Geiss' daughter as the figure head. Maybe we'll see Geiss wake up in the season finale cliffhanger.
A couple of questions about this though: Liz is kind of a mess. Would Jack really want to make her Head of East Coast Television and Microwave Programming? Wouldn't Geiss have had Jack sign something secretly about the promotion? And can't they still use the elevator video to blackmail Banks?
Those questions aside, a great episode that also propels one of the major plots forward in a big way. And now, some great lines:
- "You look like Gene Simmons had sex with a basset hound!" - Liz, to Frank (side note: he really does, doesn't he?)
- "You get one cry in life. You've chosen well." - Geiss, to Jack, who cries about getting the promotion.
- "I'd have my assistant sit on his naughty stool if he didn't like it so much." - Jack, after his assistant didn't tell him Geiss was in the office.
- "Everyone knows the only thing we should be ashamed of is our bodies." - Kenneth
- "Eureka! ... We should call Eureka, she always has great ideas." - Tracy
- "Hugging is so ethnic." - Jack
- "Don Geiss has stacked the board with the most reliable collection of cronies and yes men this side of an Al Franken book signing." - Jack
- "Why do I smell self-tanning cream and teeth whitener? Banks!" - Jack
- "Devon ... once they cast Clay Aiken in Spamalot, I knew it was just a matter of time before you showed up." - Jack
- "To get through it, I pretended he was a sandwich." - Liz, about how she got through kissing Banks.
- "My genius has come alive, like toys when you turn your back!." - Tracy
- "Suck it monkeys! I'm going corporate!" - Liz
|Geiss will wake up and decide to keep his daughter in the spot||194 (47.1%)|