November 25, 2014

Rebecca Romijn demoted to recurring status on Ugly Betty

by Erin Martell, posted Apr 27th 2008 2:31PM

Rebecca RomijnUgly Betty fans will see less of Alexis Meade next season. In a recent interview with the New York Post, Rebecca Romijn admitted that she will not be a series regular when the show returns this fall. Romijn also implied that this change in status could prompt her to leave the show altogether. E!'s Kristin Dos Santos is reporting that the producers went against Romijn's wishes by demoting her.

There have been a lot of personnel changes to the Ugly Betty staff over the last year. Five writers were fired between the show's first and second seasons, and executive producers Marco Pennette and James Hayman were let go in February. According to E!, Pennette "created and championed" Romijn's character.

The show's first post-strike episode, "Twenty-Four Candles," didn't give Romijn much to do. I can understand why she wouldn't want to stick around for only a few minutes of screen time per week. Most of Alexis Meade's major storylines are over now that she's no longer working against her family. Perhaps the writers are less interested in the Meade family storylines; Bradford Meade, played by Alan Dale, was killed off this season.

The newest Ugly Betty episode, "Burning Questions," airs this Thursday at 8pm ET.

How do you feel about Romijn's demotion?
It's good news; I never liked her character.65 (13.5%)
It's bad news; her storylines will be missed.293 (61.0%)
I don't care either way.122 (25.4%)

No1Dad

Good. The Alexis character always seemed forced and unnecessary anyway. They should get rid of Wilhamena's sister too. Still a great show though.

April 28 2008 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sludgehound

Darn. I like her. Show isn't what it was anyway. Betty's boys is getting old as is the Queens home life.
New black sister is a boreass.
Only ones with any flash left are the
receptionist working her screen tail off and the gay assistant still has focus. Rest of players are adrift.
Oh well. we'll always have Betty Season 1 to remember. Too intense to keep it up in telly time.

April 27 2008 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

And by firing all the gay writers the shows are dieing slowly. Who knows soup opera bullshit drama more than gay men?

April 27 2008 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

In my opinion, Ugly Betty sucked, sucked bad, this season. I don't know if it's all the backstage changeover, or what, but the story lines have been boring and the excitement that came with this show in its first season is gone.

As for Alexis, I never really liked the character. I found it much more interesting when the writers were building up to the idea that it was Faye, not Alexis, hidden behind those bandages. Somewhere along the way they changed mid-course and went soap opera.

The series has moved too far away from its central idea about this fish out of water in the world of fashion. I would be surprised if Ugly Better has another year left in it considering how the ratings have tanked since it back in the fall.

April 27 2008 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

It seems like ABC is trying to de-gay their hit shows. Jon Robin Baitz, the creator of BROTHERS & SISTERS, was fired from his show leaving many to wonder how this will affect the gay brother's story and screen time...Marco Pennette, whom UGLY BETTY creator Silvio Horta praised for being behind the show's gay sensibility, has been fired...the gay couple on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES have been pretty much invisible (and with the show's rumored time jump to five years in the future next season, they'll probably be gone altogether). It seems like perhaps ABC is being pressured (by the American Family Association, perhaps?) to drop their overtly gay characters and stories or face the prospect of an organized boycott. I don't know if that's true, but I do know how the AFA operates and this all seems to be some of their handiwork! I really don't like these organizations trying to force their agendas on the rest of us by telling us what we can and cannot watch on TV! If you don't like something, change the channel or turn it off, but do not try to control the rest of us!

April 27 2008 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I'm kind of glad if that happens. I think when Alexis came in last year as the evil Meade, she definitely needed full-screen time. However, once Bradford died, I had hoped she would take his position as Editor over all the magazines (which she had) and would only appear when her character was truly necessary. But, it feels as if they're shoe-horning her into episodes where she doesn't really fit (like the 24 candles one). She was/is great as Alexis Meade, but if she decides to quit, I'd rather take a show done well over an actor's ego well done -

April 27 2008 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply