September 21, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: The Goat - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 28th 2008 11:11PM
HIMYM: The Goat
(S03E17) Interesting ending to this one, huh?

I'll get to that after the jump, for those who are spoiler-phobic. This was an episode full of story and character development, and some glimpses into the personalities of all five members of the HIMYM gang. And it was pretty damned funny. The show's starting on an end-of-season roll, and with some big emotional and interpersonal issues coming to a head right now, the last few episodes are looking very promising.

Now, about that goat...

... OK, let's sort this out:

1. The goat was eating Robin's washcloth.
2. Old Ted said that Robin didn't live there on his 30th birthday, "there" being his apartment.
3. Old Ted then went on to say that must have been his 31st birthday.

Uh... what the hell?

I almost missed that sequence. I thought Old Ted had said that the goat was eating Lily's hand towel. It took my ever-observant girlfriend to point out to me that the hand towels were Robin's, not Lily's. So, that means that, for some reason, Ted and Robin will be living together one year from now. Will they merely be roommates, with Robin moving in after Marshall and Lily finally move to Dowistrepla? Or will they be living together in the biblical sense, back together even though their entire romance was ill-conceived to begin with?

Pretty much the entire episode was about Barney trying to figure out how not to tell Ted about sleeping with Robin. He broke "The Bro Code," and he wanted to figure out a way to make himself feel better. The most ingenious part of it was that he hired Marshall as his lawyer, not only so he can find a loophole in the code, but so that he can tell Marshall and claim lawyer-client confidentiality. Anyway, it gave us a chance to see Barney use his über-shredder and talk about going to war with Portugal and his company's toy company in Pyongyang. It's fun to see Barney uncomfortable, twitchy, and Sky Mall-obsessed.

It seemed that Robin was the cooler customer when it came to trying to deny her tryst with Barney never happened. But she broke as soon as she saw the pic of her and Ted on vacation from last year. It's interesting that Ted said to Robin that he wasn't mad at her about the slip-up, but he was furious with Barney, so much so that he wants to break off their friendship (he even said he should put him in that "box of things I've grown out of," or whatever he called it). I'm guessing because, like Ted said, Barney's done a lot of rotten things, but this is about the lowest he's sunk. But I also think that, despite the fact that Ted's with the unseen Stella, he still has a flicker of a flame for Robin, which is an issue we're going to explore if this show ever gets a fourth season.

Other fun stuff:

• Barney and his ancestor Barnabas will share this week's Best Barneyism of the week. Barnabas started The Bro Code way back in 1776, and he created the rule about not making eye contact during a devil's three-way. But Barney is perpetuating it, even giving the proper sign for it. So they both get to share the award.
  • Notice that Washington and Franklin looked away from each other after Barnabas stated that rule. Ick. That's something for George to think about as he travels to "Me, DC."
  • I could swear that Franklin was played by the guy who played Mr. Pitt on Seinfeld, Ian Abercrombie.
  • Though the jokes about "hitting it" (with a clown, in Lily's case) and "penetrating the barrier" were kind of silly -- we knew they were talking about 30th birthdays -- it was still great to see NPH's nervous reactions. My favorite? Ted: "Do you want my Xbox?" Barney: "Ted, she has a name!"
  • Alyson Hannigan looked especially cute this week. I was intrigued when Lily was equally disgusted with and curious about Robin's night with Barney. "That's so gross! Was it amazing?"... "Did he have... devices?"... "Was he all smooth down there?" Marshall seemed to be justifiably horrified by his wife's line of questioning.
  • Ranjit pops up again, and rightly roots for Ted to wail on Barney.
  • Barney chose the wrong end to protect on that free shot, didn't he?
  • Loved how Barney and Robin recounted how each would have reacted under normal circumstances after a Barney conquest. But we knew Robin couldn't take it the extra step Barney did: "Robin, guess who nailed the Metro 1 News chick last night? High five!" To her credit, she did return the high five.
  • Barney's nude pics go in his mental "bpeg" folder. Nice.
  • I can see how Robin knows how to tell goat turds from muskox turds -- she did live in Canada -- but how did Marshall know what goat turds looked like?
  • The other Bro Code rules we heard -- a bro must always say yes, a bro must always provide protection, a bro must always alert another bro to a girlfight -- were well demonstrated, especially Ted becoming a transsexual Russian just to help Barney get laid.

Man, I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. Even if Brit Brit comes back -- which was confirmed by CBS today; she'll be back on May 12 -- this looks like we're in for some pretty intense episodes. Intense and funny, which is how HIMYM should be.
Why will Robin and Ted be living together next year?
They decide to rekindle their relationship.151 (12.4%)
They're just roomies; Ted needed one after Marshall and Lily moved out.968 (79.7%)
They agreed to adopt the goat and give it two loving parents.39 (3.2%)
They move in together to spite Barney.57 (4.7%)

Mike

I love this show and episode so much I designed some products (t-shirts, beer mugs, and hat) based off it. Check them out and let me know what you think http://www.zazzle.com/ogbutch.

May 10 2008 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eloy Tijerina

My prediction? Robin moves in with someone, a new bf. But when it doesnt work out, she moves in with TED. As for Barney....something tells me he is responsible for getting Ted and the mother together....something just tells me that

May 01 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CLIFFT

Did anyone notice that Robin was wearing an engagement ring during the scene when she saw the goat poo.

April 29 2008 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CLIFFT's comment
Sarmad

I think traditionally the engagement ring goes on the left hand. However, Robin was wearing a ring on the right hand so it's just some ring.

April 30 2008 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barnibus Stintson

To me, its quite simple...Barney and Ted eventually have to make up because the kids do know who "uncle Barney" is, but first there must be funny/tense moments between them. Also, Ted, Robin, Marshall and Lily have to be at James Stintson's (Barney's brother) wedding, where Ted and Robin share a dance and Marshall says "I have to take the misses home" indicating that they don't live in the apartment anymore. This leads me to conclude that Ted and Robin might be living together within the next final 3 episodes b/c the wedding has to happen this year according to the show's exact timeline. Finally, I think Barney and Ted eventually will make up, but on the condition that Ted will not be Barney's wingman...instead, his "wingman" will be his nephew who James and his husband adopted.

April 29 2008 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Barnibus Stintson's comment
GG

Well, the James' wedding scene had two purposes. The first, to establish that Barney has accepted James' commitment/marriage. The second, to establish that Ted and Robin are not together at the time. That whole episode was about detecting couples and singles through "signs." If you're in a relationship, you tire quickly and don't really wanna have fun. The opposite is true if you're single. In James' wedding, Marshall and LIly (couple) are tired and want to head home. Ted and Robin opt to not retire, but to stay and dance. This hints that their single. I think it's safe to assume that they are not a couple by the time of the wedding. So if Robin moves in with Ted during that point in time, it won't be as his girlfriend. But in a future set after James' wedding...who knows? I voted 'they're just roomies', simply because Craig Thomas said in a recent interview that they're developing the Barney/Robin storyline in season 4. Unless the Barney/Robin storyline involves a Ted/Robin storyline, which it might very well do. But I'm sticking to this: Bays and Thomas are brilliant -- I'm just going to sit back and watch their genius unfold on this one. =]

May 29 2008 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chgosaint

I am dying right now. Ted was a total jackass. He is not with Robin, he has no right to be jealous. Barney has always been there for Ted and its been a year since Ted and Robin were over. Ted chose to not see the connection between Barney and Robin. When he got out of the car, I just could feel Barney's pain. In my bro code book, if your bro ain't hit it for a year, its fair game. Ted acted like a petulant thirteen year old.

April 29 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chgosaint's comment
Ryan

Well I still think it's a little low for anyone to go out with their best friend's ex-girlfriend no matter how long it's been since the break up. Ted's right. There's 3 billion girls in the world and you just picked this one?

Though I admit that there is a double standard here. He should just be as upset at Robin. The fact that he's not makes his pontifications against Barney a little douchey, but I still get it and certainly don't think Ted was acting like a "petulant 13yo."

And I'm sure Ted would be relatively okay with it if there was some hint of "love" between the two (because Ted is ultimately a big fat romantic). But he KNOWS Barney and in his mind he took advantage of Robin who was more vulnerable than usual following her "breakup." So I'm sure that just fueled his anger at Barney while at the same time making him forgive Robin a bit.

As a final word, Ted's anger is validated by Barney's own Bro Code. So say we all.

April 29 2008 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

We should also mention the best Bro Code moment. Though the "Always say Yes." moment was funny I was dying laughing "Always have your bro's back." The little grabby thing with the condoms and then it coming back to get cash for the wine, rocked! Also Kudos to the prop guys who once again make the show extra special. A beautiful jab at the sappy motiviational work posters. I want and Awesomeness poster! The prop guys have always done an amazing job, we should not forget future Marshall's office with the article about Nessie being discovered by an American Lawyer. Keep it up!

April 29 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

It was a very gratifying episode. It made me laugh, tear up a bit, laugh, more laughing hysterically. I was intrigued and left wanting more. Such a fantastic show. And you're right, they are in a bit of a post-strike roll here. Couldn't have happened to a better show.

April 29 2008 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Godfrey

Franklin was indeed played by Abercrombie. watched it again and saw his name in the credits

April 29 2008 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Best thing about the episode, and maybe it was there before but I just never noticed it, was the motivational poster in Barney's office for AWESOMENESS! LOL

April 29 2008 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I'll bet the Robin-living-with-Ted thing is way more tame than we are making it out to be. Maybe she's just getting her apartment sprayed for termites or something.

April 29 2008 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply