November 21, 2014

Miley Cyrus vs. Vanity Fair

by Brett Love, posted Apr 28th 2008 8:37AM
Miley CyrusMiley Cyrus has released a statement regarding the controversial new pictures of her in Vanity Fair. According to a report from E!: "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed," she says. "I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about.'"

In the pictures, taken by Annie Leibovitz, 15 year old Miley appears to be topless, covered by a blanket. Now hackles are raised in all corners. Vanity Fair insists that Miley's parents were on set and approved of the photos. Other sources say her parents left before those shots were taken. Disney weighs in saying Miley was manipulated in order to sell magazines. And the voice of reason, oddly enough me in this case, would like to add, "Who the hell takes topless, or implied topless, pictures of a 15 year old girl in the first place?" Right? Shouldn't the whole thing have been avoided with basic common sense?

Miles

I am sorry but to be blaming everyone but the child. Who is 15 yrs old and should have known better in the first place is just wrong. If she didnt want to do it then she should have spoke up. She never should have done it if she didnt want to, and if the parents or anyone else thought it was wrong they should have spoke up instead of letting her do it. But I have to disagree with the whole thing, why make a huge deal out of this. First off she isnt topless she isnt showing anything other then her back. To me the pics are tasteful and I dont see anything wrong with them. Why is is that now a days everyone thinks its ok to point their fingers at everyone else and not the person who they should be pointing them at. Stop blaming the parents and everyone else, blame Miley, if she did something wrong. The girl is growing up and she has to shed the Disney Channel imagine and this is the way to do it. Its not like she got pregnant(Jamie Spears) or anything like that. How about stop making a big deal out her pics and make a bigger deal out of Jamie Spears belly bump instead of showing that on TV like its nothing.

May 02 2008 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fancastfan

It's amazing how much attention these pix are getting. At first I thought she had been caught in a Paris Hilton-like situation. There is an interesting photo gallery showing a backstage look at the now-infamous VF shoot here http://dish.fancast.com/2008/04/photos_backstage_a t_the_miley.html

April 30 2008 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

This is so NOT an issue. Way to spin something way out of control, media. That apology should never have been necessary. Look at the photo... nothing is showing except her back. Nothing wrong about showing back in this society. Yeah, she happens to be covered by a sheet and doesn't happen to be wearing anything else, but she IS wearing the sheet and is therefore properly covered.

Calm down, world.

Terry, I recommend explaining to your daughter that she still covered up everything you're not supposed to show society.

April 29 2008 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

My 7 year old daughter saw the photo on the news and was shocked that Mily had NO CLOTHES ON!!
Then she asked why would she do that and do I have to take pictures like that? All she ever wanted was to be like Mily.
I am so dissapionted in Billy Ray to allow this to happen.
I was truly hoping that Mily was the ONE to stay real and be a good role model for ALL the young girls out there.
I hope it's not all down hill from here.

April 29 2008 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

This has nothing to do with being ashamed of nudity.

It has everything to do with her being 15 and the fact that most of her fans are in the 6-12 age range.

I absolutely ADORE Annie Leibovitz photography, but CLEARLY she goes for the artistic AND controversial and I do blame her.

Miley is 15. She is still a child and YES I can see how she could be manipulated. Is her family and handlers blameless? No. I even think this is a good lesson for her and she will/should know better next time, but she is still a child. A 15 year old child that has had a lot thrust on her.

It amazes me how people love to HATE these "stars." I find it soo strange that people can muster so much hatred and emotion toward someone they don't know.

Anyway, the pictures don't offend me, but I do feel bad for the fans and the parents who try so hard to have a wholesome image presented to their children.

April 28 2008 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GingerSnapsTN

"There are always, ALWAYS publicists, managers, assistants, and in this case parents on set, watching every moment to control their client's image."

Exactly. That is 100% true.

This is a very unfortunate situation, but I feel more sorry for the young girls who look up to her.

April 28 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Much Ado About Nothing!

April 28 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

On the one hand this is Vanity Fair, they have a tendancy to do risque photoshoots, Lindsay Lohan, being the latest example. On the other though, this is Miley Cyrus, why is "Vanity Fair" doing an interview and/or photoshoot with her anyways? Does "Vanity Fair" magazine really think a 15 year-old pop star is really the kind of topic thier readers want an article on? What kind of questions doe she get on a "Vanity Fair" interview? 'Does the blonde wig itch when you wear it?'

April 28 2008 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LNL

Please don't blame the press for the actions of Miley and her handlers. After the suggestive photos of Vanessa Hudgens hit the web, Disney and Miley's family, should have put their foot down, regarding the image of her. Miley, continues to have photos of her leaked onto the web, and nothing is said, but now that people have spoken unfavorably about these pictures, the Cyrus's are backpeddling. Shame on Billy Ray Cyrus for pimping his daughter out there like he has. She's not a grown woman, she's 15yrs old, and it's about time she started acting like it.

April 28 2008 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Who could ever imagine that being shot by Annie Leibovitz in little more than a skimpy sheet would be inappropriate for a 15-year old?

I love how Miley feigns surprise.

April 28 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply