October 31, 2014

DVD rumors: a 10th anniversary set for Sports Night?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 29th 2008 3:41PM

Sports NightThis news could make Sports Night fans go crazy like ... well, people who go crazy and stuff.

TV Shows On DVD is reporting that a 10th anniversary set for the short-lived ABC comedy is in the works, to be released this fall. As fans know, a complete DVD set for the show was already released a few years ago, but it didn't have any extras on it at all (and I remember that some of the first DVDs had a lot of problems with skipping and freezing, though I've never had a problem with my set). This set is rumored to have extras on it, and we can only hope that includes commentaries by the cast and Aaron Sorkin.

No word yet on who is putting it out or even why this set is getting the anniversary treatment (other than it's a great show and deserves it!). Maybe the success of Felicity Huffman and Brenda Strong on Desperate Housewives helped.

Joey

Joshua Malina was genius on SN! Hope they get him to comment.

May 06 2008 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Molly D.

Yesyesyesyesyes! Hopefully they'll remaster the eps, too. The quality was so poor on the last set, but "I keep thinking of Cho Chang and her swim to freedom" and I can't wait for the Fall!

April 30 2008 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I don't by it, why bother with the show? Is there really that big of a fanbase that would rebuy this?

Plus they need to lower the price, I paid $45 for the first set, so they would need a shitload of extras and a cheaper price.

April 29 2008 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

You have made my day, Bob. I'd happily buy the set again.

Now if only the powers that be could get rid of the laugh track while they are working on including the extras.

April 29 2008 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Colleen's comment
Jonny Rice

Colleen is absolutely right. We all ought to start clamoring for judicious editing of the aforementioned laugh track. It actually makes me cringe. I'd like to reserve that for shows that aren't funny.

April 29 2008 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

I hope it comes out as well - that was a great series, too bad ABC couldn't let it run it's course. I'll be buying it for sure!

April 29 2008 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dj

Sports Night - completely overrated. I work for a Cable network and no sports department is like that. The anchors, as they were portrayed were like robots - what sports anchors even act like that?

April 29 2008 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to dj's comment
Tom

I'd think there'd be some good money in this. Almost all of those folks have gone onto something bigger (maybe not Robert Guillaume but since Sports Night was him descending from a larger than life career you can't really blame him)

Even the bit parts are people who are big names now. Brenda Strong, Paula Marshall, William H Macy, etc...

Beyond that not only was it vintage Sorkin but its the only other series he's collaborated on with Thomas Schlamme who doesn't get anywhere near the credit he should for the West Wing.

All in all, tt was what Studio 60 should have been (no one ever negotiated a hostage release on Sports Night)

April 29 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cecilia

yay, I hope this turns out to be true! I've been after this for a couple of months now and it's very hard to find the DVDs! I hope it is worth it to wait till September!

April 29 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

And those of us with the original sets are either screwed or have to re-buy them again. Just like I already did on "My So-Called Life", just for the extras. I wish they'd have some kind of trade-in program, where people who have the original sets can get a break on buying the new ones. Better yet, make all the extras available on a bonus disc that original set owners can buy for a nominal amount. I'm glad they're re-releasing with extras, but I feel screwed over for buying the first set.

April 29 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Sports Night -- vintage Sorkin. Every few years I watch through the two seasons and fall in love all over again.

April 29 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply