July 23, 2014

Monk gets a new psychiatrist

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 30th 2008 9:22AM
Hector ElizondoWith the untimely death of actor Stanley Kamel, USA Network and the producers of Monk were compelled to find another actor to play a psychiatrist for the OCD detective. TV Guide has gotten the exclusive word that Hector Elizondo has been cast as Monk's new shrink. The veteran actor -- you'll recognize him from every Garry Marshall movie from Pretty Woman to The Princess Diaries -- was most recently on Cane. As Michael Ausiello points out, if Hector's doing Monk, chances are that CBS has officially canned Cane, even if they haven't announced it yet.

Gallery: Monk

Stanley KamelMonk castTony ShaloubTony Shaloub 1Tony Shaloub & Sharon LawrenceTony ShaloubTony Shaloub 2MonkMonkTony ShaloubTony Shaloub

Elizondo is scheduled to be in the first new Monk which returns on July 18 for its seventh season. While I'm really sad about Stanely Kamel's death -- he was always one of my favorite character actors and I remember when I first saw him on Days of Our Lives in 1972! -- the loss of the Dr. Kroger character opens the door for dramatic repercussions for Adrian Monk. Just last season, when Monk tried to cut back on his psychotherapy, he couldn't handle it. Should the creators of the show decide to have Dr. Kroger die suddenly, like art imitating life, how will Monk cope with it? He's never gotten over the death of Trudy, his wife.

Monk is not a heavy drama. It walks the line between comedy and pathos. Watching Adrian adjust to a loss while trying to relate to a new therapist should make for good TV, and casting Hector Elizondo is a plus. He's a very good actor and should work well with Tony Shaloub.

By the way, bravo to USA Network for putting together a wonderful tribute to Stanley Kamel. I saw it over the weekend while watching a rerun of the show.

Michael

CRAP! I loved Cane...

May 01 2008 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

Just as a reminder, Monk and Dr. Kroger are fictional characters on a television series. Stanely Kamel, on the other hand, is a real person.

April 30 2008 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

It's a no win...drama from fans if Elizondo is casted as Dr. Kroger, and drama if they dramatize the actor's death on a TV Show. I say just write the character off, like they attempted to do last season, but this time permanently.

In any event, I don't think I can take the drama of Monk mourning another death incessantly...please don't make me USA.

April 30 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv.squad.zkam

@MK: Allison had it right... It's Dr. Charles Kroger

And try this link for the TV Squad news on Stanley Kamel

(the link in the article above has an embedded space in it)

April 30 2008 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erika

It's funny how they sort of, kind of look alike - definitely the way Monk would look for a new psychiatrist!

April 30 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MK

Your link to Stanley Kamel does not work. I didn't see the tribute to him on USA since I don't watch reruns of the show. What happened to him? How sad that we lost such a wonderful actor. And Dr. Kreuger (check the spelling, Allison!) will be sorely missed.

April 30 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MK's comment
Allison Solow

Hi, MK - Try the link again. As for the spelling, I did check it. It's Kroger. :>

Thanks for commenting,
Allison

April 30 2008 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Dr. Kroger had made baby-steps improvement with Monk, and they had a great doctor/patient relationship. Having him have to go to a new doctor would be like Monk, both the man and the series going back to square one. Which can be both great and not so great for the show.

April 30 2008 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

I will so miss Dr. Kreuger. He was such a great guy, that I wanted him as MY shrink. I'm sure they will handle it with dignity. Poor Mr. Monk.

April 30 2008 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I really hope they have him die on the show as well with a funeral and everything and Monk having to search for a new Doc. I think they could get at least three episodes out of this and it would fit the show. Not the way you-know-who left the show after season 2...

April 30 2008 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bash's comment
Hank

Maybe he'll be murdered, and Monk will need to solve the case. And his psychiatrist-patient arch-enemy can be the prime suspect, and Monk will have to clear his name...

April 30 2008 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply