October 30, 2014

Boston Legal: Indecent Proposals

by Paul Goebel, posted May 1st 2008 8:18AM

(S04E19) "No more soda pop!" - Judge Clark Brown

Remember last week, when Alan and Denny made the joke about moving to Wednesdays? Remember how much I loved it? Well, I feel exactly the opposite about this week's version. Last week, the joke was so quick , it could have easily been missed. This week it was about as subtle as Denny Crane himself, Plus, it had the added bonus of already being done.

I don't know what was more underwhelming, the guest appearance of Christine Ebersole or her lame cloned meat case. For a show that has had awesome guest actresses like Missi Pyle, Gail O' Grady and Betty White, the star of Rachel Gunn RN is not an impressive get.

As for the case, I admit that I know nothing about the use of cloned animals as food, but I find the entire thing laughable. How can eating cloned beef and pork be any worse for you then what is already being sold at most supermarkets? I say stick a label on the package and if people want to eat the cloned meat, let them. There are plenty of Americans who would gladly ingest a non-procreated steak, if it only cost 99 cents.

Looking at everyone involved in the case, it makes perfect sense. The demented, libidinous lawyer, the senile judge and the frustrated opposing counsel wondering why he's the only one making sense (played flawlessly by Tim Omundson, BTW.)

You know, for a show that is in danger of being cancelled, Boston Legal sure does some stupid things. Last week, Alan argued passionately in front of the Supreme Court. This week, he's helping his rich boss make a point to her idiot nephew. Clearly, the state of Massachusetts is in need of some tort reform. Besides, I can think of five or six better reasons to sue the Democratic party.

Wolfgang Blitzkrieg? Really? Is there anyone on the planet who found that funny? If so, my daughter is performing in her school's talent show and I'm sure you will find her act hilarious. When did BL start using funny names and wacky wigs to entertain us? More to the point, is there such a thing as a Boston Legal fan who also takes FOX News seriously?

I tuned out on the entire DNC story after being hammered by the political message of Alan and Shirley's argument. To be fair, I agree with most of what was being said, but I kind of resent hearing it from Hannah Montana's brother.

This episode was disappointing, to say the least and pure crap to say the most. The only saving grace was seeing Denny in love. It gave us all a chance to watch Shatner be funny and lovable, also seeing him ride that horse was really cool.

Should Boston Legal be cancelled?
Yes25 (7.6%)
No303 (92.4%)

Matthew Burgess

You think far too highly of your own opinions.

January 22 2013 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

Did no one notice the uncanny resemblance of Shirley's nephew "Mitchy" to Charlie McCarthy??
I expected him to sit on her lap at the end of the show!

May 01 2008 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R

Harsh review, but it won't change the fact the writing is still better on this show than most all others. Jennifer, who works with cloning livestock, get a clue. I want to know what's in EVERYTHING I eat and I want it labeled. It's a great storyline, so we can all have a conversation about it. Do you think the FDA does a great job, or our government really cares what you eat? NOT!!!
Fourth wall jokes are great and especially when Boston Legal does it. Smart of BL to do them about changing time slots cause ABC hardly ever advertises. Absolutely brilliant. Shame on ABC for not doing more for this show and advertising so many other shitty shows.
Hysterical to see chubby Shatner ride his horse and imagine that he really is a horseman. The shows can't always be "the best", but this show still beats out most others. Make ABC renew this show so we can laugh, learn and enjoy.

May 01 2008 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel Teager

I think that the review is too harsh.This episode was probably the weakest of recent BL episodes,but it still had some nice moments.As for the possibility of cancellation,it could be argued that there is the contract issue,but BL is a great show,with good ratings.The change from Tuesday to Wednesday had an impact on the ratings (which,as far as the after the WGA strike episodes are concerned,were better than previous episodes).However,we should wait for the last two episodes to have an accurate picture.I really hope that BL will be renewed for a fifth season.
Ratings "The Court Supreme":10.52 million viewers
"Indecent Proposals":7.33 million viewers

May 01 2008 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Uh, yeah, it was better than you think. I'm not saying it's the best BL ever (it's not), but it was still better than every "reality" show and most of the scripted ones. Am I biased? Yes. Do I care? Not in the slightest.

These are important issues being explored, as the show does most weeks. With the meat issue, you're right that a lot of people would buy cloned meat if it were cheap. But is it good for us to be doing that? I don't think it would be very beneficial right now; let's do some more research and perfect/improve the technology before we send it to market. Once it's ready, then we can start working on feeding the starving third-world countries before worrying about ourselves. We'll be fine, right?

As for the DNC stuff, it was quite important to put that debate out there as well. I only watch a little bit of news each night, so I guess I don't feel quite as inundated as the type who puts on MSNBC/CNN/FNC all day long (hi mom!). As someone who voted for Obama in the IL primary, I'd like to think my vote actually means something come convention time, that the (non-super) delegates will vote based on their district's results. The supers can do whatever they want, that's why they're there. At least the first round of voting, if Clinton decides to make a fight out of it. It wasn't necessarily the most entertaining stuff ever, but this is the future of our society being decided here; it's a little more relevant than Idol or even the whodunits that were going on at the same time.

And as for the fourth-wall jokes, I was falling out of my chair with laughter. The first scene dovetailed beautifully from the end of the balcony scene last week. One of the best teasers ever, perhaps second only to Jerry singing with the theme tune. And did I hear something about a "homegrown who can cancel you at any second" out of Denny at the end? Great stuff. The audacity that DEK and his staff has, to do this insane stuff, and to make it work so well every time, is almost unfathomable. It's one of the big reasons I watch the show.

"Wolfgang Blitzkrieg" = Wolf Blitzer. On CNN, not FNC. If you watched any of the endless primary coverage, you'd realize that Blitzer was dropping the line about CNN having the best political news team in TV almost every time they cut to him. So this wasn't much of a stretch.

The only thing that really irked me at all was seeing the Shat on the damn horse. I was at a Star Trek convention in '96 (yes I admit it, but hey, I was 10!) and he was one of the speakers that day. He went on for almost an hour talking about his horses, and riding horses, and spending time w/ Nimoy riding horses... Ugh! I got that sickly feeling when that scene started, and I quickly knew why.

This and Lost are the only shows I watch on ABC (I guess I can add Scrubs for the fall). I'm not going to be adding any new network shows to my stable these next few years, so I may not be watching anything there after Lost finishes (I don't see BL lasting another 2 seasons, even though I want it to). Yes, I'm only one viewer, but those "one viewers" start to add up eventually. This is among the top tier of network shows at present, in my opinion, and I feel it should be allowed to continue. I can see I'm not alone.

And what was so bad about Christine Ebersole? She was fine! Don't go nitpicking for problems; realize the difference between writing and acting. The character wasn't the best-written, but she did well with the material she had.

May 01 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I thought this episode was ok. I don't really watch it for the cases, just the actors and the comedy. I did agree with them about the delegates voting the way they are supposed to. Why even have the damn primaries if they are meaningless. I really don't care which one wins, but I think they should go by the will of the people in any party election, even if the people voted for Carrot Top. And the Superdelegates should not be allowed to be bought. I also like how these characters poke fun at tv. How they mention they are moving on the schedule, what they did during the strike, how new characters are supposed to appear in the season premiere and not the 2nd episode. I hope they don't cancel it. It's better than anything they will replace it with. Plus they regularly win Emmy's on this show.

May 01 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gwen

I love the characters but I'm getting really tired of the liberalness of the politics that now pervade each and every show.

May 01 2008 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chgosaint

OOPS - irradiated

May 01 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chgosaint

Wow - some reviewer must have eaten a bad piece of meat to be this nasty. The meat and FDA thing was clearly spelled out -- pay attention. Cloned meat does not have the naturally occurring antibodies in bred cows that prevent infection -- that is one of the reasons there are problems with it. Labeling does matter -- look at the kurfuffle over irrariated foods.

Christine Ebersole is not a "get"? You mean the TONY award winning actress who is also always a perennial Tony nominee in virtually every role she has ever done? It wasn't her best work, but even her worst work is better than 90% of everything else on television.

May 01 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-St.M

The problem is, all the positions, rants and lectures have come drown everything else that is so wonderful about this show. First, I started skipping over Alan's diatribes. But that's a slippery slope. Now, the shows pile up on the Tivo as I try to summon the strength to endure more. Ultimately, they may not even get watched. I kills me that it came to this for me. This was my favorite show OF ALL TIME.

May 01 2008 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply