July 31, 2014

Did the writers strike make you stop watching a show?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 1st 2008 3:20PM

Desperate HousewivesHere's an interesting theory on why the ratings for many returning dramas are down a bit: the writers strike gave viewers an excuse to finally stop watching a show.

Of course, the shows that are down (including Grey's Anatomy, House, Lost, CSI, and Desperate Housewives) are still getting great ratings (all of the above shows are usually in the top 15 for the week), they're just noticeably down. Some industry analysts think that viewers might be getting a little frustrated at the continuing storylines you see on many dramas, while others think that some viewers are confused over the return dates for different shows and maybe even time slot changes for a couple of shows.

I can't say this was true for me. If anything, the strike made me want to watch Lost even more, especially since I knew there were only a handful of episodes left in the season. The same for comedies like 30 Rock and The Office. It would have been true about Heroes as well, but they didn't return after the strike (new episodes start this fall).

Did the writers strike give you an excuse to stop watching a show or did you just get bored/fed up with a show before that?

Melissa

I was already backing off on Ugly Betty after the anti-white comment made by Vanessa William's character and the fact that it is just too gay for me. When the strike happened I left and never looked back.
I miss Pushing Daisies. I wish it would return but on a different night.

May 07 2008 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

I stopped watching ER, which I've been watching since it premiered.

May 06 2008 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scazza

Absolutely. Ugly Betty and House. The Former has changed so much in the second season I just have not been connecting to it at all. I adored the first season. The latter because it hasn't changed. I am tired of watching the same plots over and over (The "Why is House such an ass?" episodes). Both are boring. I also find it hard to get through CSI episodes, so that may be next.

But I was very excited for Grey's to come back, and I'm happy to watch SVU (though that prison episode was horrifying). Grey's has lots of interesting characters, and when one frustrates you it's not like a virus like with House, there are others to pick up the slack (I miss Addison, hate Izzie). The situations change and things don't lose momentum, it doesn't get stuck (arguably).

But really I think it's characters that drive the show's essential watchability, how interesting each is individually, and I just think that Grey's has great characters, and as much as SVU can be odd I like watching Benson and Co.

May 05 2008 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kasha

The writing is so bad for TV shows generally that I seldom watch network TV. There are maybe half a dozen shows worth watching (between commercials), so I see no difference in programming since the writers' strike ended.

May 04 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelvin

The Writers Strike made me lose interest in alot of shows "Grey's Anatomy" being the biggest, those first couple of weeks i was just waiting for the shows to return but as it drug on i realized "Grey's" wasnt worth it I thought most of this Season sucked anyway so i chose not to return.
The only reason I tuned into "Desperate Housewives" was because of the Katherine Mayfair mystery and I keep watching that and "Ugly Betty","College Hill"

May 03 2008 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I was watching "The Wire" and "Arrested Development" (two of the greatest shows ever) during the strike...except for 30 Rock and The Office I didn't miss any shows.

May 02 2008 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Clark

I feel like we're all in a TV Addicts Anonymous meeting. Some have kicked the habit while others just couldn't. I think DVR is the best thing since sliced cheese... Or is it bread?

I'm so loving LOST, Desperate and I can't wait to watch the first two episoded of Grey's.

May 02 2008 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Laura Clark's comment
Kelvin

Grey's is alright but they're not even worth my time anymore i might watch online but im defiantly not giving them my household rating

May 03 2008 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Does the fact that I have all 10 episodes of this season of Lost sitting unwatched on my Tivo mean that I have stopped watching it?

I got STFU-sick of Grey's Anatomy at the start of the current season (the god-forsaken deer-centric season opener). I have declared the house a Grey's-free zone since the strike, and my wife (a once avid fan) has eagerly complied.

Oh, and after the disgrace that was the last season of "24", I am pleased as punch that it was a strike casualty this season. Maybe the extra YEAR will give the writers a chance to come up with something non-derivative of the past 5 seasons...

Shows that the strike took away prematurely? Terminator and Pushing Daisies. You can keep GA -- give me back the Pie Maker!

May 02 2008 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

I gave up watching "TV" back in January by cancelling my DirecTV service. Since then I keep up with my favorite shows by viewing them online. FREE is good.

May 02 2008 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saavik

I haven't dropped anything, though I'm going to be watching Moonlight online now because it's up against Doctor Who and I did miss the return of House on Monday because I had other plans and didn't remember it was going to be on until too late to set up a tape.

May 02 2008 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply