October 25, 2014

Was Kathy Griffin dumped over Jesus joke?

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 1st 2008 9:23AM
Kathy GriffinControversy continues to swirl around the Disney Channel's once-squeaky-clean Hannah Montana series. Now Kathy Griffin is telling Entertainment Weekly she was fired from the series for comments she made at last year's Creative Arts Emmys.

I dunno. Does "Suck it, Jesus! This award is my god now!" seem all that bad? That's probably one of the classier things the D-List comedian has ever said.

But Griffin didn't go quietly into the night, opting instead to fire off a few shots at the show's star, Miley Cyrus, whose racy Vanity Fair photos are making the water cooler rounds this week. "[She] has been flashing her green bra and posing topless," said Griffin. "I was basically told, 'Disney doesn't want you anywhere near the building.'"

Disney tells a different story, saying that Griffin was fired from her guest role for creative reasons, not because of "comedy routines or public comments," a Disney official told Entertainment Weekly.

Ok, let's break it down here. First of all, Kathy, it was a guest role. That doesn't mean permanent. It means guest. Second, telling Jesus to "suck it" doesn't seem like a good way to get in anyone's good graces, including Jesus. Third, there's this thing called "tact." Look it up. And fourth, please don't ever go near a red carpet again. Ever. Your hosting gig at the Emmys a while back was just...gah, I can't even think about it.

Other than that, I really like you.

helenphillips

I find her whole sour world weary disposition very funny. To each his own but she is doing quite well for herself these days. Kathy's a publicity whore so when Hannah whatsername starts flashing the world why not trot out an old story (very old) and get some media. Nothing she said indicates she was worked up about it in the least but it sure touched a nerve around here. If Dane Cook can have a career in comedy then Kathy Griffin certainly more than deserves the little piece of success she has carved out for herself.

May 02 2008 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chgosaint

Great! Jesus causing more problems. Christ people get off your cross over this! And being more honest, do you really appreciate rap artists who rap of killing cops and misogny anf getting awards for it and thanking Jesus is appropriate? Thats what her statement was really about. Jesus doesn't care who gets an Emmy, Tony, Oscar, Grammy or Dove award. Just my opinion so... Suck it Buddha!

May 01 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chgosaint's comment
Eugene

Oh, I get the comedic value of what she said, and I don't care that she said it. She's just not funny.

May 01 2008 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

If I remember, I'm pretty sure that the "suck it jesus" comment was even bleeped from the air when she originally made it.

Truthfully, when I saw the "dumped" headline I thought we were going to read that this was the reason Steve Wozniak dumped her. Guess not. But that would have been funnier.

May 01 2008 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Wow. Didn't see this separation coming. It seemed like such a great match...Disney and KG. It was just too much awesome, I guess.

May 01 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Backing Logan on this one

I think KG is hilarious. And for the record: suck it, Jesus!

May 01 2008 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I think Kathy is hilarious! I thought the Jesus joke was one of the funniest things ever. OBVIOUSLY it was a joke! Jane I think you are taking this WAY too seriously/ personally.

May 01 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne

Kathy Griffin found out how the First Amendment REALLY works- we Americans have freedom of speech, however that can be a double edged sword. Once you make a statement, you damn well better be ready to back that statement up AND face the consequences/repercussions. Stop whining!

May 01 2008 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Kathy Griffin is the worst of the irrelevant has-beens. She's like an annoying zit that won't go away. She's embarassing, unfunny, and needs to be put down for the common good. She's basically a male version of Andy Dick. Yes, I meant that.

May 01 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chuck's comment
Franklin

"She's basically a male version of Andy Dick. "

LOL, succinct and true! I couldn't agree more.

May 01 2008 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VC

Kathy Griffin has her truly funny moments. Then, there are those times when her jokes are just plain mean. I wonder how she would feel if someone started cracking jokes about her husband stealing her ATM card and taking money out of her bank account while she was asleep. I'm sure her divorce was painful and she wouldn't appreciate someone making money off her pain. So, she needs to learn to be funny without having to resort to being mean. As for her comment about Jesus, it wasn't funny. Period.

May 01 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to VC's comment
justelise

She was probably cracking jokes about her husband stealing money from her by the time the divorce went through.

May 01 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply