July 23, 2014

Scrubs: My Waste of Time - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted May 2nd 2008 11:23AM
Scrubs: My Waste of Time(S07E10) So next week, according to NBC, is the "Scrubs finale," which means that only 11 episodes will have aired for what was going to be the show's last season. Epguides.com lists a 12th episode, but I'm guessing it either never got made or it'll be saved for the eighth season on ABC.

Anyway, tonight was definitely an episode full of transitions. Kelso's on the golf course. Cox is the interim chief of medicine ("Chief Dr. Cox," as he orders everyone to call him). Carla wants another baby, especially now that Turk's a Uniball. Ted's got some confidence for once, and is challenging the authority of the Janitor. And J.D. and Elliot are starting to look more and more like a couple, especially when they're cooing over little Sam Dorian.

The show's been getting good lately, which worries me a bit. Why? Well, because of something Alan Sepinwall mentioned last week that's been rolling around in my head this whole time: when the writers knew that the show was approaching the end, they buckled down and cranked out good episodes with plenty of character development. But now that the finish line has been extended, will this string of good episodes give way to a bunch that are marking time?

I certainly hope not, because I'd love to see more episodes like this one. Yes, this one was a bit more slapsticky and absurd than normal (and that's saying a lot for Scrubs), but most of it worked. From the PA announcer that sat in the break room just to massage Cox's ego, to the wacky interplay between Cox, J.D., Jordan, the Janitor, and Turk as they all solve their individual problems, the episode had a very Python-ish feel. But it was well-executed, so it doesn't much matter.

So, it's Turk that wants the prosthetic testicle, not Carla. Makes sense. Man needs to feel whole, know what I mean? That "Ball Mart / Hand Warmer" fantasy of J.D.'s started well, but lasted far too long, something he acknowledged right before we smashed into the opening theme: "I've gotta stop with the long fantasies. they're never worth it." The rest of the episode was quite meta, with J.D. acknowledging how he uses other people's problems and solutions to help him in his own life, pretty much every week. Meta isn't something this show does a lot of, so it's surprising to see it whenever it happens. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In this week's case, the show's batting only .500 in the meta-joke department.

I think we're finding out how Ken Jenkins is going to stay connected to the show, via fantasy sequences and the Plomox suit. Ah, Plomox ... remember all those conferences / vacations Kelso took that were paid for by Plomox's manufacturer? Wonder if he's going to get embroiled in that mess at some point.

More fun stuff:
  • It's great to see Ted get some balls, from refusing to get Cox coffee to the Brain Trust / Brain Bunch revolt. Wonder if his fate will be the same as that last janitor that was the victim of Janitor's palace coup...
  • Wonder why we haven't seen Jordan a lot lately. It's been good to see Jordan playing off Perry and everyone else for the last few weeks. Hopefully, we'll see her more next season.
  • The gag that J.D. and Elliot pulled was basic, but funny. It was good to see the two of them bonding, though. It's almost as if they're maturing into a real couple that will just eventually hook up naturally, as opposed to just getting together at the end, like Ross and Rachel did on Friends.
  • J.D. told Turk that it "takes a lot of ball" to stand up to Carla. Heh. I love one testicle jokes.
  • When the hell did Ted start working at Sacred Heart? I'd imagine it was in the '80s, though his vest and hair suggested otherwise.
  • J.D. expresses sincere best wishes towards the Coxes during of little J.D.'s shunt removal, and Jordan and Cox still want him to stop talking. Cold ... but funny. "I've tried for seven years ... can't be done."
  • Is it me or are both Sarah Chalke and Judy Reyes getting even better looking as they get older?

So next week's "finale" seems to have a medieval fantasy sequence, a tough patient, Kelso saying that J.D. and Elliot are suspended (is Kelso back?) and other fun stuff. Since it wasn't meant as a finale, there will be a lot of loose ends, but they'll be picked up in the fall. All I want is for next week -- and next year -- to be funny. Is that too much to ask?

Have the chances increased that J.D. and Elliot are going to end up together?
Yes. Boy, the two of them and Sam really looked like a family.344 (86.0%)
No. I'm sure the writers will throw more roadblocks in their way.56 (14.0%)

Nola

Am I the only one that liked JD and Kim and think the show should just keep JD and Elliot friends? Kim and JD just worked for me. Elliot matured the most when she and JD weren't a couple, when they were just friends. The abrupt left turn the writers took at the end of last season and the beginning of this one just doesn't work for me.

May 03 2008 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nola's comment
molebut

I hated Kim. She is a really weak character comparing to the rest of the cast, and to me she's just boring, not to mention overall wrong for JD. I still believe in the unique connection between JD and Elliot, and was really dissapointed when nothing happened after the kiss cliffhanger that ended episode 6. Since their relationship is one of the key plots of the series, it would be a waste to let it stay parked at friendship throughout season 4-8. They really ought to get together again before the show's ended.

June 29 2008 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
buttcake92

great review... but legal custodians definitely deserves to be mentioned. especially after if was brought up for the second time as a little "reminder type commerical" at the bottom of the screen. i am so glad their is going to be an 8th season, my life is complete again :)

May 02 2008 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Sarah Chalke and Judy Reyes have definitely gotten hotter over the series, i think part of why sarah chalke got hotter was because at the beginning of the series Elliot was kind of a mess and she's matured and grown and is a little less crazy. Although at her current hotness she could get much crazier before she crosses the Vickey Mendoza diagonal (see barney stinsons hot/crazy scale)

May 02 2008 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Was that promo the so-called "nose-thumbing" that Scrubs was supposed to give NBC this week?

Weak.

I expected something a bit more overt; Scrubs owes NBC at least one good dig before they hit the highway to ABC. Heck, that was tamer than any of the Simpsons' digs at FOX, and those are just for the heck of it, not in response to bonafide jerk-ass-iness.

May 02 2008 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jake's comment
dtrain

the episode was shot before scrubs knew the were moving to abc

May 02 2008 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtrain

Isabelle -

"my commitment" was completed as "my nah nah nah" and will air as the 8th episode of seaon 8 on abc.

May 02 2008 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

You wrote a review for this episode, and didn't mention Legal Custodians! I'm dying to see that show, as much as the Family Guy spin off, My Black Son. Elliot has been really hot since she went into private practice. I hope she keeps the hair if the show moves next season.

May 02 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris's comment
Joel Keller

You're right! And I had the title in mind as I was writing the review. I guess I just never got to it. I like the promo for Legal Custodians that showed up the second time JD mentioned it, especially considering it included the peacock logo and "coming this fall." Another very meta joke, as it makes fun of the obnoxious promo bugs that NBC has stuck into all of its shows over the years.

May 02 2008 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Funny you brought up Sarah Chalke and Judy Reyes getting better looking -- my husband and I turned to each other last night and said "Sarah Chalke just keeps looking better and better." My husband thinks she's had some improvements (also citing her Roseanne years), but I think she just gets better with age.

And yep, the next episode is a Princess Bride homage, directed by Zach Braff

May 02 2008 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

I liked this episode, and Eliot looked HOT...she's gotten much more attractive as the show has progressed. It's weird that they'd let it go to ABC, today's TV executives are really stupid, huh? How do these jackasses get their jobs?

May 02 2008 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I can't believe how awesome Sarah Chalke has looked last and this season. She is a totally beautiful woman. Her character has really matured as well. Judy Reyes has always been a knockout since day one for me. Love those two on the show, and am thrilled an eighth season is on the way.

May 02 2008 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Jake

Amen. Sarah Chalke is getting hotter every time I see her. My one true celeb-crush. *sigh* ;-)

May 02 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob-o

i read somewhere that next week's ep was directed by braff and is a huge homage to the princess bride. it should be pretty clear it was not the intended finale, i'd bet.

May 02 2008 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply