April 16, 2014

Smallville - Rosenbaum out, Doomsday in

by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 2nd 2008 10:01AM
Michael RosenbaumWe knew it was coming. At the end of February 2007, Smallville actor, Michael Rosenbaum, announced his intentions of leaving the show at the end of the 2007-2008 season in order to tackle new projects. For the past year, fans (I include myself here) hoped that the actor would change his mind. How can Smallville be, well, Smallville without Lex Luthor? Things looked grim when the actor reminded us last February that he was done with the show, come the Season 7 finale. And today, fans around the world must come to the realization that Rosenbaum wasn't joking: he really is leaving the show "to start the next chapter of my life and career," he says in a joint statement with The CW.

In his letter to Smallville fans, Rosenbaum thanks them for their support and making the show a success. He hopes that fans will follow his "career through [his] hair growth period and beyond." The actor, who is excited about the future, also takes time to thank the people involved with making the show.

Having been involved at some point with Michael Rosenbaum's official website, my support for the actor is undeniable. I support his decision to move on after seven years of shaving his head to portray Lex but I can't help but wonder if I'll tune in next season, now that both Luthors are gone. Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover were the best actors of the series and added a great evilness to the show. I guess only time (aka the summer break) will tell if I and the other Smallville fans regularly tune in next season. I say "regularly" because, let's face it, we will watch the season premiere out of curiosity!

In the joint statement, The CW, along with the executive producers, thanks the actor for his great work in the past season. The network also reveals what's in store villain-wise for next season.

Season 8 will introduce two new villains. One is the famous Doomsday, the only DC Comics character to have killed Superman. The second one is an unnamed female villain who is said, in the statement, to "be familiar to many fans." The statement also says that she "will set her sights on Clark in ways Lex never could." Could she be the person who'll win Clark's heart since Lana will be gone (Kristin Kreuk is said to appear in very few episodes next season)?

Michael Rosenbaum fans must watch the next two episodes as they will be Lex-heavy. The May 15 finale will be very important in Lex's quest to find The Traveler. Let's just hint that Lex will be traveling to the Arctic.

James

I will continue to watch the show, but only on DVD.

Of course, i will tune in the season premiere and finale, because those two are always two of the best episodes, including all shows.

Here's hope for Michael Rosenbaum to do 3 or 4 guest starring next season.

May 04 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luka

WHY? What's wrong with having Doomsday in Smallville. It was really enough with Lex. You have him in Superman's movies it's tome to see others Superman enemies.

May 03 2008 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saky

They should send clark around the world. In a new version of the comic book he goes to africa. He needs to start studying and it would be cool to see him dealing with other cultures. oh well, wishful thinking

May 02 2008 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

I enjoy the show but maybe this should have been it's final season. But that doesn't mean the story would have to end. They should spin-off Kara to her own show, and then (more wishful thinking) move the story to the big screen. Have Clark and company age a few years, so that he and Lois are already together and Superman is established in Metropolis. Then have Doomsday appear and do the Death of Superman story. At the same time, introduce the Justice League who arrive to help fight Doomsday, but fail leaving Superman to make the ultimate sacrifice. This could be the Justice League movie, followed by a Superman Reborn film.

Like I said, wishful thinking.

May 02 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

I have to say that since Doomsday killed Superman, that seems like it would mean Smallville will only have a few seasons left in it? I know there were other villians, but this seems like jumping the gun. And by the way, what ever happened to the so called Justice League episodes?

May 02 2008 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

The show is really no longer "Smallville". It's just Superman-in-waiting. "Smallville" was about a teenager growing up on a farm with his parents, discovering and hiding his abilities, and dealing with supernatural powers in an ordinary world. That show was pretty much over after Clark's father died, and certainly by the time they banished his mother to senator-land. Now they're just treading water trying to fit all the comic book stuff into the template that the original "Smallville" series set up. It's "Superman-lite" now. I'd rather see it end than continue to move in the direction it has been.

May 02 2008 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Doomsday is a HORRIBLE idea. He was a horrible, walking deus ex machina in the comics and having him in smallville actually makes him worse of a, I dunno, I can't use the word 'character' because he's barely one to begin with.

It's time to end this show.

May 02 2008 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arkangyl

I agree with Tom on a few points. For one, I think this season should have been the last for Smallville, giving it a chance to go out with at least a little grace. But with the villains next season, I'm just not sure that can still happen.

I love the way the show twists the Superman mythos, but there is only so far you can ask fans to go. Forget the fact that there is no way in the world people won't know Superman and Clark are one and the same at this point, there is no way Doomsday should be introduced at this point in Clark's "career".

If the WBCW whatever station wanted to still cash in on the "superhero/Smallville" cash cow, then guess what? They has a PERFECT opportunity with "Mercy Reef", the Aquaman spin-off. I downloaded it and watched it and you know what? It wasn't that bad. It reminded me of Smallville in it's first season, trying to get its legs.
If they didn't wanna go that direction, they could have also spun off a "Justice League" spin off, using the characters introduced last season. The adventures could have centered around their trips around the world, righting wrongs etc.
As it stands, I used to love Smallville, but like a comic book which has lost it's edge, it slowly has begun to drop to the bottom of the pile for me.

May 02 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I realize I say this from a comic-fan perspective, but bringing in Doomsday is probably one of the single-worst ideas for this show. Given it's track record, we'll either see a horribly CGI'd incarnation or they won't even bother trying to duplicate the look of the monster and instead we'll have some really big, pale-skinned guy calling himself "Doomsday"

Either way, its a mistake to do this and only serves to drive the point home that this really should have been the final season. Lex is determined to protect the earth from alien threats, even if it means he needs to be in complete control to do it. He and Clark are bitter enemies. Lana is out of the romance angle -- there's already been tiny sparks between Clark and Lois. It would have been a perfect opportunity to have a cameo of Ma Kent helping him to put the costume together and end with him flying over the earth and smiling at the camera ala Christopher Reeve.

And then of course get Tom Welling the hell signed up for the Justice League movie (okay wishful thinking there)

But no, instead the WB, CW, BC or whatever the heck they are this week will squeeze more blood from this all-but dried up stone.

May 02 2008 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I think Doomsday is a very bad choice to bring in to try and replace Lex, It just doesn't make any sense (unless its just an introduction, and only for an episode or two). Doomsday is a just a creature that is programed to kill, not very smart just a raw killing machine.

The great dynamic between Lex and Superman is that in a way they are defined by the other. Lex doesn't really have any super powers, but with his intelligence, money, and thirst for power, he goes toe to toe with Superman, and comes so close to beating him.

The other problem I have is that these villains are Superman's villains, not Clark's if they are bringing out Doomsday, then he needs to fly.

Maybe they should do what one tree hill did, and jump about 5 years for the next season. Clark could have completed his training and he has to re-adjust to how the world has changed. Then they could bring in some of the Superman villains for mini arcs of 2-3 episodes for each villain. Villains such as Mr. Mxyzptlk, Parasite, Metallo, they could bring Zod back, Bizarro, and so on.

May 02 2008 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply