April 20, 2014

Desperate Housewives: Opening Doors

by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 4th 2008 11:41PM
Desperate Housewives(S04E14) "I thought you were a hooker." - Gaby to Ellie

Finally, after weeks of being almost useless to the series (those of you who read my reviews regularly know that lately I've been rooting for the Solises to leave Wisteria Lane), Gaby and Carlos got a meatier storyline thanks to the addition for a few episodes of Mallory Keaton, err, Justine Bateman. The downside? The storyline is too predictable.

As many TV fans out there, I enjoy mysteries, have fun trying to solve them, and like getting answers sooner rather than later. This week, I felt like I was offered a new mystery (who the hell is Ellie), was given a few clues (men coming and going, one was in a suit while she was in what looked like a bathrobe, she gets money after each visit), was given a few tiny minutes to ponder what the she was doing (hooker was my first choice too), had a chance to interrogate the suspect (well, Gaby did the questioning for me), and then had the rug pull from under my feet before I could solve the crime!

Did they really have to show us this week that Ellie is a drug dealer? Isn't Desperate Housewives all about mysteries and making us wait for answers? They made us wait months and months to get answers to why Mary Alice killed herself, learn the Applewhites' secret, discover what Katherine is hiding (we are still waiting for all the answers to that one), etc. Couldn't they let us wonder for a week if Ellie was really a tattoo artist? Maybe they could have shown her put a package into a locked drawer instead of showing the stash. That would have added mystery and made us wonder what she put in there and who she really is all week. No, instead they had to give us all the answers asap and kill the only storyline with potential that the Solises got since the show came back from the strike.

Knowing now that Ellie is a drug dealer makes the storyline too predictable. Ellie will continue her shady affairs, Gaby will be suspicious once again, she will eventually snoop in Ellie's room and find the drugs (which don't seem to be that well hidden), and Gaby will argue with Carlos about what to do next (cops or no cops?). Blah blah blah. I hope they have a nice twist in store for Ellie because if I'm right, I'll be disappointed.

The cat is out of the bag: Kayla was the brains behind the operation! Even if some apples do fall far from the tree (see Julie and Susan for example), Kayla fell rather close to her mother's tree. Rachel G. Fox is doing a good job at portraying the troubled Kayla. Those eyes, that stare, are just so creepy. Kayla is becoming a character that could very well be the possessed child in a horror movie. After this week's episode, I'm putting in question Tom being Kayla's father. My bet is that she is the evil spawn from Reaper's Devil. Everything she does is evil: from the way she brushed her doll's hair, to how she manipulated Lynette in order to not talk to a shrink, not forgetting how she got the twins to jump off the roof.

I have to agree with Lynette that Kayla does need therapy to go back on the right path. But so do the twins. Yes, they may not be serial killers as Lynette said, but the kids do not know right from wrong. So what's good for Kayla to teach her about good and evil is also good for the twins. I'll repeat it again this week, that entire family needs therapy. Tom and Lynette need someone to talk to about the twins and Kayla too.

Katherine and Wayne finally came face to face. The look on Katherine's face when she saw Wayne and Dylan at the restaurant was priceless. That woman was truly terrified by the scene. The speech she gave about being strong now and not afraid of Wayne was chilling. She was quite determined and serious. I was so expecting her to throw a knife towards him. It'll be interesting to see what will trigger her to use that gun she is hiding in the kitchen. But since the gun is not well hidden, I'm wondering if Dylan will find it first and use it. We will know soon since the season wraps up in two weeks.

Other tidbits of interest:
  • Karl was quite the jerk this week. Even if he made up for it in the end, Karl needed to be slapped for all he said to Susan and Mike. The scenes at the Lamaze class may have seemed like they were there to fill time, but it was important for Susan to hear from someone who wronged her that Mike was the good guy and that she should be happy about it. Now Susan can stop worrying a bit and try to focus on her pregnancy, her couple, and Julie.
  • Edie, Edie, Edie. Mike, Karl, Carlos and now Orson? The woman needs to find her own man and stop picking up the left overs.
  • Lee and Bob are back!
  • "Cash and I go way back" - Gaby
  • "It really wasn't the guy's arm?" - Carlos
Who needs to see a shrink the most?
Kayla174 (44.1%)
the twins1 (0.3%)
the other Scavo kids1 (0.3%)
Tom6 (1.5%)
Lynette6 (1.5%)
the entire Scavo clan204 (51.6%)
none of them3 (0.8%)

nani

I don't think Marc Cherry is going to repeat any of this show's seasons mystery storylines. Not if he wants us to lose interest in DH.

Katherine's secret is getting harder and harder to guess. Very few things add up. Can't wait for the season finale!

May 11 2008 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nani

Can I just say that Edie's snacking on second hand men is more tiresome than Susan's klutziness?

The best storyline this week is Lynette's. I would love to see how she'll handle Kayla.

I don't want either Carlos or Gaby to go. Yet I don't fancy the idea of Carlos getting his sight back. The writers have got to do something about these two. Gaby's one-liners are good but she can't be mean all the time.

May 11 2008 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

You know Marcie will take Orson back since she mentioned that to Katherine before she was leaving to spy on her daughter. I thought it was a great episode. Oh, I wanted to slap Carl myself! Hopefully nothing goes further between Edie and Orson, but Im sure that will be another storyline.

May 08 2008 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

didn't like this episode. I feel like Cherry is getting lazy, that the "big mystery" that is katherine was simply that she was beaten. at best, Wayne beat Dylan and/or Dylan's sibling, who died and that's who is buried. But that would just be repeating the first season.

yeah Justine looked old... but she's gotta be in her 40s by now right?

loved seeing Karl and definitely loved seeing the gay guys. did not like the houseguest plot. stupid... Gabby get a friggin job instead! and what about her inheritence from the mayor guy? i must have forgotten about this plotline...

Orson and Edie - so predictable, so much recycling old plots.

Liked Bree, LOVED Lynette. She's the only thing keeping me going.

May 05 2008 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cdawg's comment
Larry

She got no inheritence from Victor. Everything was in B.J. Hunnycutt's name.

May 05 2008 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

BJ Hunnycuts name...that is funny! LOL. :)

May 05 2008 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

One thing I forgot to add in my other tidbits was a mention of Bree giving "spying on your daughter" tips to Katherine. I thought that was hilarious.

May 05 2008 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

wait, you didnt mention the Bree-Orson storyline at all! i was wondering what you take on that was.

May 05 2008 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sarah's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I try to limit the length of my review a bit so I can't mention everything. As we thought last week, Bree drew the line somewhere and that was running over one of her best friends' husband. Orson does seem to be genuinely feel bad about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure Bree will take him back, especially since Edie made her move on him. Personally, I don't enjoy much the Edie/Orson ordeal since it's been done 3 times before (Karl, Mike, Carlos).

May 05 2008 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

well, i got what i wanted. not only did Karl show up this episode, but so did the gay couple! but, what was up with their outfits? was that a loud reminder: "We're the gay couple!"

May 05 2008 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

Boring boring boring. The whole hour felt like they repeated the same conflicts. None were new.
Eddie is sleeping with yet another 2nd hand man
Susan is stressed about...
Lynette and Kayla-Someone is always being blackmailed by someone forced to hold back information. This time its Lynette.
Gabby and Carlos were bickering.
The only new thing was-big deal-a crazy house renter. What a ill fitting story line. They get money by renting a room in their house? This is the best the writers came up with?
Side note-Justine Bateman is pretty young-what is the deal with her skin??

May 05 2008 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply