April 21, 2014

Expect the networks to renew more shows than usual

by Joel Keller, posted May 5th 2008 12:02PM
Old ChristineThe reverberations caused by the writers' strike continue to affect how the networks are doing business. Case in point: according to The Hollywood Reporter's James Hibberd, the networks may be more generous with renewals than they have in the past, due to the fact that even hit shows have been returning to diminished ratings. My guess is that, after a three-month break, most people realized they didn't give two craps about things like Meredith and McDreamy's latest breakup. But it may just be that the weather's nice outside.

Anyway, Hibberd goes on to mention the current status of some of the most prominent "bubble" shows. The good news: Reaper, Old Christine, and HIMYM and Moonlight have shifted over towards the "likely to certain" end of the spectrum, and Boston Legal will likely survive for another year. The bad news: Shark, Men In Trees (which is already gone, according to reports), Cashmere Mafia, and October Road are likely gone. And there's still no real feel for what's going to happen with Eli Stone or Women's Murder Club.

Luke Edwards

oh god...shark? I love it soo much. but i can deal with it. But My two favorite television shows are Eli Stone and Boston Legal...how can think about getting rid of them? are they not as popular as I thought?

May 26 2008 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coronaboy

You've gotta be kidding me, October Road? Hopefully another network will pick this up, and give it life. I blame ABC for the bad time slot, and overall time frame when they aired it. The writer's strike didn't help matters either.

May 06 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gail

How about New Amsterdam? Any news?

May 06 2008 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach S

Awww.... Cashmere Mafia's pretty awesome! (sure I only watch it online, but hey!) Hopefully they won't cancel it, or if they do, they'll at least finish the season!! I'm still wondering what's going on with Dirty Sexy Money...

May 05 2008 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Good to see that Boston Legal is on life support.

I love--love--this show, but it has been very hit or miss this last season, not only with the writing but the scheduling.

Who was the genius who switched it to Wednesday at 10 last week and then put it on a 1 week vacation, only to return again for 2 weeks?

May 05 2008 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tool's comment
Oreo

I agree, I hope BL gets only 13 episodes next year just to end off the show. This seasons has been a huge letdown.

And ABC treats the show so poorly, makes you wonder how it made it to the 4th season.

May 05 2008 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

As long as "Pushing Daisies" returns, everthing else is just extra crust. Its the only series on its first season that I really got into. Looking forward to its return, would like for them to at least re-air the episodes from the first season, because I'm starting to miss this show airing each week.

May 05 2008 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I loved Eli. I hope it gets renewed.

May 05 2008 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

Shark was a bit of a surprise but the last few episodes were poorly written and having it on Sunday nights after football is just cruel. Woods kicked ass! Back to the movie sets!

May 05 2008 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

That really sucks...two of my shows have already been canceled this year, and 4 more are still on the bubble. If Eli Stone is canceled after I already lost Journeyman, I'm going to be pissed. Wasn't Women's Murder Club set in San Francisco too? Plus Monk losing their shrink, and I'd almost say that city is cursed!

May 05 2008 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to David's comment
Ganesh

i still miss journeyman. what a great show that was! too bad too few people watched it.

May 05 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I've still got my fingers crossed for "Eli Stone". I started watching it because there was so little else new during the strike. But it grew on me with every episode, and now I'd really miss it if it didn't come back.

May 05 2008 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply