April 18, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: Rebound Bro - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted May 5th 2008 11:57PM
HIMYM cast(S03E18) You know how I keep saying that guest spots ruin the chemistry of How I Met Your Mother? Well, that's not an absolute; sometimes, guests integrate well into the ensemble, or the story they're given is so good, that it just works. This week was one of those weeks. In fact, it was doubly good, since both Sarah Chalke and Will Forte did a good job of fitting in, with Forte being his usual creepy-funny self and Chalke being... well, anyone who reads my Scrubs reviews knows how I feel about Sarah.

What? I have respect for her acting ability! That's all...

Ahem... now, where were we?

I kind of wish we saw more scenes depicting the growth of Ted's and Stella's relationship. I'm guessing if Stella were being played by Alicia Silverstone instead of Chalke, we would have seen more of the in-between stuff. With Chalke in the role, we get some references to an off-camera Stella and, this week, some quick scenes of her dating Ted and getting along with the gang. Stella's absence blunted the story this week a little bit, since we haven't really have time to see Chalke and Josh Radnor together and buy them as a couple that are taking such big steps.

Not sure why Stella needed to be ashamed of her five-year drought. Not everyone humps like maniacs like Lily and the rest of the crew (especially Lily... not sure whether I liked her "sellin' it" line better than her earthquake orgasm... both were good). But I'm glad they had her come back and admit that she overreacted to Ted telling the gang about it. It was the mature way to settle the situation, and in a continuing-storyline sitcom like this one, having Stella stay in a huff over something like this wouldn't have been realistic. Sometimes the guy isn't the rash, stupid one in the relationship. Most of the time, sure, but not always. So Ted got to meet Stella's daughter and end her "Virginity 2: Electric Boogaloo" in the same day.

As I said, Forte was at his creepy best as Randy, Barney's rebound bro. "This happens every time I get an erection" is one of the funniest nose-bleed related lines I've heard in a long time. What else did I like from Randy? His dance when Barney finally decided to make him his new wingman; following Barn's advice subtly put a conquest down by calling a girl a fat, ugly whore; "Goodbye, Geraldine Ferrar-bro;" saying that the night was going to be "Legendary... wait for it... dary." Robin, as usual, was the voice of reason, showing Barney how Randy was the rebound bro and how getting him laid won't be nearly as satisfying as it was to get Ted laid. I almost wish she did say yes when Barney called to ask her to be his wingman.

More fun stuff:

• Marshall going over the pop culture events of 2003, the last time Stella got any. Seabiscuit galloped into our hearts. The DaVinci Code came out... as a book. The best was Marshall's reaction to Nell Carter's death, coupled with Robin's half-paying-attention thinking that it would be hard for Ted to rock Nell's world because of the whole death thing.
  • Wow. That old bro of Barney's was really gonna rock that viewing of 27 Dresses, wasn't he? Yikes. I refuse to see that movie with my girlfriend, for many, many obvious reasons.
  • The Best Barneyism was him getting Robin to come out and help Randy by threatening to show a video of the two of them on YouTube. Robin wasn't sure the video existed, but Barn came right back with, "which is why you came from Brooklyn at midnight." So glad to see their night of passion didn't affect either of them one bit.
  • So Ted forgives Barney, but has outgrown him. Wow. That's mature.
  • Robin thinks Barney had more sex than she did when they were together. Makes sense.
  • I tend to forget sometimes that Chalke can dial it down and not be as manic as she is as Elliot Reid. This episode was more of the sweet Sarah that we see glimpses of on Scrubs every so often.
  • I've never heard of "unexpected number of testicles" in the list of usual dating dealbreakers. But I guess being one ball away from being walked is something freaky enough to drive people away. If Stella ever met Randy, "erection-induced nosebleeds" would likely be added to that list.

It was a sweet episode with a decent amount of laughs. Given the roll Bays and Thomas have been on in the last month or so, it's hard to say this episode is on par with some of the ones we've seen lately. But it was enough to set us up for next week, when Brit Brit returns. Hopefully, she'll be decent and not drag the episode down.

Are you looking forward to Britney Spears' appearance next week?
Yeah. She did a good job the last time she was on.134 (17.1%)
Nope. She was a distraction last time and wasn't very funny.147 (18.8%)
Don't care, as long as the episode is funny.503 (64.2%)

melissa

sarah chalke is so pretty!

May 08 2008 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ameth

hey there..
Can you please tell me what is the music while ted and barney was debating on limo ? (ep: the goat (17))?

May 07 2008 at 5:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

I really love the barney and the rebound bro part of the episode really funny (they literally made me LOL, and i don't do that very often), and at the end i really didn't care for the ted part of the story (could be that TED MOSBY IS A JERK and i don't like him anymore??? :)... so, half brilliant, half boring... still great episode!!!

How many more episodes do we get??? any word of a 4th season??? or are they waiting for some brit ratings??? (really don't like her, but if she save these show i will love her forever!!!)

May 06 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

As much as I love Sarah Chalke, I'm not seeing much range here. She's post-Keith Elliot Reed...moonlighting in NYC. Give her some personality!

May 06 2008 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Thank you, PurpleSlog.

I'm not a regular viewer of this show and there's a very good reason why: it isn't the least bit funny!! I watched this episode last night because quite frankly there was nothing else on. Forte's character was pretty humorous, in a "middle-of-the-road SNL sketch" kind of way. But other than that... nothing. How talentless do the writers have to be to make Sarah Chalke unfunny?? This was like a bad episode of Friends, except without the "edginess".

May 06 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

Their... meat is delicious

May 06 2008 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nick's comment
purpleslog

"Their... meat is delicious"

That and Forte's dance where the only funny parts of the show to me.

May 06 2008 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

And what, pray tell, is so horrible about (a) waiting, and (b) being abstinent for five years? The way the gang reacted to this news about Stella has sort of made me respect them a bit less, as well as the show and its writers. It really irks me that the future Ted is telling his teenagers all these details about his sex life in a way that says, "hey, it's OK. We slept around when we were younger..."

I didn't watch the ending. I turned the channel to another station.

May 06 2008 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donna's comment
Ronak

Who? Who has slept around except for Barney? Ted isn't looking to hook up with random chicks everywhere he goes, he's still looking for his wife, remember. Yeah, he's had occasional one nights stands, but he's not whoring around on purpose. Marshall and Lily......really? They're married, of course they're going to be doing it a lot. Robin I could see a little as well, but she's not exactly sleeping around as you so put it.

The way I see it, Ted's just more liberal about his feelings that others are. When he said he's going to tell his kids everything, he meant it. I don't see anything wrong with that. He obviously feels comfortable enough to be telling his kids these things, there's no reason to judge his parenting.

May 06 2008 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wintermute

Loved this episode. It couldn't stop laughing the entire time. This entire episode was "Legendary. Wait for it. Ary." Priceless...

'mute

May 06 2008 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lane Wright

I'm a big fan of the show, but to me, this was one of the weaker, less funny episodes, so I'm surprised to see so many people praising it. I honestly thought the "Ten Sessions" episode that so many people dumped on was much funnier. Of course, it probably doesn't help that to me nosebleeds aren't even remotely funny but simply disgusting and repulsive, or that I have no idea who Will Forte is. Still, I realize not every episode can be gold, and I just hope next week's is a return to form.

May 06 2008 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

That was bad... both of you... LMAO

May 06 2008 at 7:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply