October 20, 2014

Men in Trees axed by ABC

by Allison Waldman, posted May 5th 2008 8:42AM
Men in Trees sadI'd like to say I'm surprised by this, but I'm not. ABC has canceled Men in Trees. Despite being one of the genuinely sweet and funny comedy/dramas on the network -- one that's more rooted in reality than flights of whimsy and pretentiousness -- Men in Trees has struggled to find a home on ABC. It's been shuttled about from day to day, time slot to time slot, in and out of the line up so that it became a gypsy. How were you as a viewer to invest in the romantic adventure that Marin Frist was on in the wilds of Alaska when you weren't sure when the dang show was going to air? A failed attempt to put the show on Lifetime back in March spelled doom for the show.

If there's a glass half-full way of accepting this, here it is: instead of just fading into oblivion, the creator of Men in Trees, Jenny Bicks, will be able to wrap up the storylines and give viewers closure. Michael Ausiello spoke with her and while she expressed gratitude for the fans loyalty -- and they are loyal because I've received many emails from them, too, about the fate of Trees -- she also agreed that all the time shifting by the programmers mucked up her show. "I wish the show had not been moved six times and put onto two long hiatuses. No show could survive that," she conceded.

Now that the fate has been cast, the writers will be able to pen an ending to the story, give relationship coach and writer Marin her happy ending which presumably will be with Jack, although love may not be the ultimate wrap up for this modern woman. She's writing a book about her Elmo life so perhaps that's the real happy ending -- a bestseller. And we'll also, I hope, get Annie and Patrick reunited. Maybe the hockey team will win a game, too. The remaining Men in Trees are slated for a summer run on ABC. I'll be tuned in, happy to savor the last of a series that was short, but very sweet.

Bat

Well.... bummer. It was quirky, engaging, and a bunch of likable characters. One of the few shows on anymore that my wife and I liked to watch together. Frankly, we're about to give up on tv, altogether. Nothing but a bunch of asinine so-called "reality shows". The time is better spent with a good book or a dvd. More and more, it seems like if it ain't trashy enough and appealing enough to their target audience of post-adolescent narcissists, the networks kill it.

July 20 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
djayne

NO! NO! NO!!! I AM STUNNED!! I soo love this show!! It is my favorite, and I looked forward to it - whenever it was on!! I agree with most everyone that this is not a cloned or copy cat; more realistic and genuine. People that wanted to help one another, not after revenge. I agree with Gerri - it makes me want to move to Alaska and find such a town. The characters are delightful with a touch of sass; funny, light...I really think it all has been said.

I do hope another station will pick up this show - Jenny Bicks and crew deserve a standing ovation. It is truly one of a kind.

PLUS! When will we see Cash again!!!???!!! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!!! BRING BACK MiT!!!!

July 18 2008 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcia

Color me sad. Yes, I too was crushed when I heard MIT was cancelled. I don't have much time to watch TV, so this was one of the very few shows that was a must-see for me. Thank God I have TiVo, or I might not have been able to follow the show to God knows what night ABC decided to drop it. Don't the eejits at programming know by now that in the history of TV, once you start moving and manipulating shows, it's an automatic death sentence??? I can't believe a quality show like this dies, when trash like "Wife Swap" remains! PLEASE keep MIT going! If not on ABC, then CBS or NBC, FOX, Lifetime.....someone?!!!

July 08 2008 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicki downey

I loved Men in Trees and am so sad it is cancelled. But I hope it is not replaced with that drab, depressing "October Rd". I think ABC has really screwed up. The only other show I care about on that channel is Grey's and that will probably be gone soon too.

July 08 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barb

I think it's a shame to take such a good show off & leave such smut on.

July 08 2008 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

OMG!!! I am so angry that this had to happen!! Gosh, it was funny, humorous, such an easy show to fall into, and have some laughs. Instead of taking this one off why don't you think of taking some of the 'STIPID REALITY' shows off. Its a shame what our world has become, and we have instead resort to trying to get on a show just to try and 'WIN' the money. Isn't greed one of the 7 sins. Hello writers, please bring this one back, as it could be true reallity without the money!!!!

July 03 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

I am going to miss this show! I watched it online to decompress from my work day. It's too bad ABC ruined it. I'm going to miss the strong women this show portrayed!

July 03 2008 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Solstice2

Well, I guess ABC has finally done it!!! Not only did they axe the show, but they axed the message board for Men in Trees that they had at ABC.com...It was there 2 days ago, but now appears to be gone. MIT fans were using the message boards to sound off at ABC and to stay united...I guess ABC grew tired of hearing that they axed a show that people liked and also hearing that they screwed up on MIT by constantly switching its time slot and night on TV. Maybe the guilt was getting to them!

July 02 2008 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

CANCELED!!!! I can't believe it. Networks are slowly getting rid of all the shows that don't qualify as "reality" tv it seems. They get rid of really good shows, like MiT, and replace them with such garbage as 'I Survived a Japanese Gameshow' and 'Wipeout' TV has gotten boring here in the last 2 years because of this reality tv business. I would like to be able to turn on the TV and not have to watch some poor sap making an abslolute fool out of him or her self for once. Or a handful of women thrusting themselves at one man (which makes them look...desperate, among other things). I will truly miss MiT...it was something fresh and exciting for tv, and it unfortunately fell victim to the dabuchery that prime time cable tv has become.

July 01 2008 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L. Diamond Wise

I am disappointed, but not surprised. ABC just wouldn't give this show what it needed to survive. It was a great show. Sorry to see it go.

June 19 2008 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply