October 23, 2014

Comedy Central brings back The Gong Show

by Kristin Sample, posted May 6th 2008 10:04AM
The Gong ShowComedy Central is reviving The Gong Show. The original '70s variety show featured amateur acts who tried to impress the celebrity judges panel and avoid ... the gong.

The new show, which is currently casting for tapings on both coasts in Los Angeles and New York, will be hosted by Dave Attell. Yeah, remember him? The former stand-up comic from New York had his own show on Comedy Central called Insomniac with Dave Attell. I used to love that show. Attell would walk around the streets of different cities (mostly here in the States, but he went aboard too) and talk to people who were completely inebriated. He also occasionally talked to people who worked night shifts. I think he'll be a great host for this new project.

I think that because this show is on Comedy Central, it's going to be way more interesting and entertaining than the train wreck that is America's Got Talent. What do you think? Will you watch the new Gong Show?

[via BuzzerBlog]

SadOldMan

Sorry. This is only one Chuck Barris....only one Jaye P. Morgan..this is destined to be sad.

May 06 2008 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I've been waiting for them to remake this show for 10 years. I hope they do like the original and use a variety of celebrity judges, as long as they are all funny. I wonder if they will bring back the unknown comic? He was my favorite, but I don't remember him being funny. I think he always got gonged and kept coming back.

May 06 2008 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Game Show Network did a Gong Show remake in its early days. It wasn't bad, but was shown to such a small audience at the time, it'll probably be tough to compare it.

May 06 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pepper

I was on the original Gong Show when I was 14. It was a blast! I was a singing candy cane! I can't wait to see how the new one compares.

May 06 2008 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

They never learn... you can't just take the old name, put in a new guy, and expect the same result. THE GONG SHOW and Chuck Barris were one and indivisible. Without Barris' attitude and anarchic nature, it's just not GONG. Best to leave it to memory (and by the way, when will we get GONG on DVD?).

May 06 2008 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I have a hard time picturing the great Dave Attell doing clean, watered-down game show banter à la Howie Mandell.

May 06 2008 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tjackson

Must concur with Patrick.

Attell is not a "former stand-up." He's a stand-up. He's practically THE stand-up.

May 06 2008 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

It's comedy central so I'm assuming the judges will be: Greg Giraldo, Lisa Lampanelli, Nick DiPaolo and/or Jeffrey Ross.

May 06 2008 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patrick

Dave Attell isn't a former stand-up comedian- he continues to perform nearly every night in NYC. He's one of the best comedians we have and he'll make a great addition to this show.

May 06 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mc

Loved Insomniac and loved The Gong Show. Not sure about the combination, but I'll check it out.

May 06 2008 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply