October 22, 2014

Goodbye Monk and Psych (on NBC I mean)

by Bob Sassone, posted May 6th 2008 8:03AM

Psych

Sometimes reruns from a cable series can do rather well on network television as a bigger audience pool checks them out. That wasn't the case with Monk and Psych.

The two USA network hits (often in the top 10 in the Nielsen cable ratings) didn't fare too well when NBC ran them on Sunday nights the past couple of months, so the Peacock Network is pulling the shows immediately. Fans of The Office will be happy to hear that NBC will air a two hour marathon of Office repeats in the 9 to 11 time slot. That is, until they decide to put another reality show at that time.

Who knows why the shows didn't catch on at NBC, besides the fact that they were up against Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters over on ABC. CBS continues to run Dexter on Sunday nights at 10. It's doing better than Monk and Psych did on NBC.

[via TV Tattle]

STEVE

monk is the reason i upgrafed my canle package from basic to premium so i could watch monk are you trying to say that there will be no new episodes or that you will not be showing reruns would like an answer thanks

May 08 2008 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

I'm pretty sure ANY scripted show would die in that timeslot.

May 06 2008 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jana

I watch a fair amount of NBC, and never saw one promo for either series. I'm a huge Psych fan, and certainly would have noticed.

Helps if there is some promotion...

May 06 2008 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jana's comment
Devin

I have to agree i don't know that i saw a single ad run for either show on NBC, i couldn't have told you when it was on and i've been watching Psyche since it started. I think they were just using it as some filler following the strike and are moving on.

May 06 2008 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I actually dumped Desperate Housewives in favor of watching Psych. I don't have cable, so I had never seen Monk or Psych. It wasn't hard making the switch, especially in favor of Monk over Extreme Makeover. I really don't want to go back. I really enjoyed these shows. I thought about watching Dexter, but I couldn't give up Brothers and Sisters. How is Dexter doing better? I think Dexter is good, but not better than B & S.

May 06 2008 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Beth's comment
Joey Geraci

Uhm, you might want to just back slowly away from the comment and disown any knowledge of it. I have watched B&S a few times, and to the extent that the two shows are comparable, B&S is a sad little pathetic shadow of a show to the greatness that is Dexter, even in slightly nuetered broadcast network form.

May 06 2008 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

They didn't start "Psych" with the pilot, so it might be a bit tough to figure out who everyone is and their roles on the show. Or even that he's a fake psychic, and Gus's job with him.

Sure, it's not "Lost," but it's still not the best show to catch in the middle.

May 06 2008 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Sure, it's not "Lost," but it's still not the best show to catch in the middle.

May 06 2008 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply