December 20, 2014

A House spin-off about private investigators?

by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 7th 2008 2:41PM
HouseWhen a series is successful, it's not surprising that there are talks of spin-offs. In the last few years, we had spin-offs for Grey's Anatomy, Girlfriends, CSI, Law & Order, etc., while others are in the works for Battlestar Galactica and Beverly Hills, 90210.

Therefore, I don't think you'll fall off your chair if I tell you that FOX is toying with the idea of a House spin off. But you may want to make sure you are properly seated before reading this: the spin-off would not focus on doctors but private investigators!

In his latest "Ask Ausiello" column, TV Guide columnist Michael Ausiello reveals that FOX and NBC Universal are developing a spin-off for the medical hit series House. Next season, a male private investigator will be introduced on House and stick around for a few episodes. If fans respond well to the character, he may get his own series. No more details are given about this "House: P.I." spin-off.

When I watch spin-offs, it's mostly because they have the same premise as the original show that I enjoy. This spin-off sounds like a new show altogether. I'm not saying I would not watch but I won't qualify it as a spin off since it's about private investigators.

Can it really be called a spin off if the base of the show is totally different? Would you watch such a spin-off? Let your voice be heard in comments.

Brittanyy

I love house, but i don't think i'd like a spin off unless hugh laurie was in it. and was the same pretty much.

July 30 2008 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

Okay... So here's what we have going on. Sherlock Holme's was a fictional private investigator based on a real doctor. House is a real doctor based on Sherlock Holmes. And the new spinoff would star a private investigator based on House?

June 12 2008 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Argus's comment
Argus

We really need the ability to edit our posts after posting them...

June 12 2008 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jakeg1116

if it somehow ends up as good as house, it will have one more thing going for it, the viewer will have a legitimate chance to solve the case, which is what makes "Monk" so great, if you can't solve the case with the same info the detective got, it's that much more impressive

June 25 2008 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I get testing out characters on a show first to see if they are well liked before plunking down all that coin to create and market a new series... It is actually smart, but inserting a character into a show that doesn't fit into the locale of the show, i.e a PI in a Hospital, seems a little odd... And I agree that I would not call it a spin-off.

June 05 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lost_grrl

They already have the actor that they plan to use for this.His name is Michael Weston he had roles in 6 Ft. Under and SVU). Next season there will be a multiple episode arc to test the waters before they make a final decision. The guy is going to play a P.I. who is somehow introduced to House--not sure if he is a patient or what.

This type of spin-off is actually called and Engineered Spin-off, where a character is introduced for the express purpose of creating a spin-off. For example, Grant Show's character Jake Hanson was on "Beverly Hills 90210" for a couple of episodes just to try to get some of that audience to watch the upcoming "90210" spin-off, "Melrose Place." I agree that something like that is a spin-off by only the most technical definition.

My question is, just DAYS (5/14 or so)ago there were articles all over the net about Cuddy getting her own show. I wonder if the producers were trying to make a decision about which premise they wanted to run with. Or maybe there will be, eventually, two different spin-offs? I think a Cuddy spin-off, or even a spin-off with Cameron or Chase, would be more like a real spin-off.

May 28 2008 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
psh

NOO...why cant they just leave a good thing alone? The show is a hit because the character House is awesome...seriously i'm addicted to the show...so a spin off would just be lame and would reflect badly on an awesome show! Just make is on its own and if it worth it then I will watch it.

May 08 2008 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elly

I read that Fox okayed a one-hour pilot of Paul Attanasio's project "Courtroom K" about a judge, a prosecutor and a public defender. Attanasio is one of the producers of House and husband of Katie Jacobs. Could this be the spin off?

May 08 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

They should get an American actor to talk with a Sherlock Holmes style accent.

May 07 2008 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h8rain

It could be called Car P.I.

Or if he carries a big gun, Magnum P.I. (wait....I think that name was already used.. :D)

May 07 2008 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

If they do a spin-off character of anyone from House it should be the detective played by David Morse from a couple of seasons ago. I think this actor is vastly underrated, people generally like him in the movies and television he is in but is so often regulated to being a supporting player, and rarely ever is the title character in movies and television. It would be good to see him in a weekly series again, and he was really good on "House".

May 07 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to divineparasite's comment
ac

You just took the words right out of my mouth Midnight.

May 07 2008 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I'd definitely watch that! Probably isn't going to be David Morse and his character. That would be too much like a good idea.

Add me to the list of people that watch House for one thing: Hugh Laurie.

May 07 2008 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

In my Tivo guide it says Tom Sizemore guests as a PI in one of the upcoming episodes of House.

A Tom Sizemore spin-off? Really?

May 07 2008 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply