September 18, 2014

Another clue in the search for HIMYM's Mother

by Allison Waldman, posted May 7th 2008 1:23PM
HIMYM
One of the things that I love about How I Met Your Mother -- there, I said it, I love the show -- is the mystery surrounding who "mother" is and whether we've already seen her on the show or is she still to be introduced. It's not just the Lost fans that are watching scene by scene, shot by shot, frame by frame to uncover clues. Take this very cool observation by a blogger at Seat42f.com.

If you look at the picture, the green boxes, you'll notice that the framed handwritten letter/poem/writing in the background of Stella's home (left), is the same as the framed letter/poem/writing behind the kids in the opening of the show. According to the blogger -- who has HD and studied the scenes closely, it's definitely the same artifact.

The same artifact in two scenes, 22 years apart. The connection between the two is Ted. Now, the questions, conjecture begin: Why does Ted have the letter unless Stella's the mother? Well, if she is the mother, then it's in the 2030 scene because she's kept it all these years as a souvenir.

What if she's not the mother? Why would Ted have the framed letter/poem/writing then? Perhaps it was a gift from Stella and he's saved it all these years, a memento of happy times.

I have a problem with Stella being the mom, though. Would Dad really tell his kids about the first time he boffed mom? Would he reveal that she didn't have sex for five years? Of course, he may not be with mom in 2030, so I guess he could share that info with his kids, but it's still borderline creepy. Of course, some of the other stories he's shared with these teens -- what do you think, they're 14, 15 years old? -- has been kinda mature. "Hi, kids, let me tell you about the time I made love to two women at the same time. We called it the Tricycle."

So, what do you think? Is this the missing link or just another breadcrumb on a path that may or may not lead to mother? Please, comment and share your thoughts cause my head is starting to hurt.

[via LiveJournal]

Jaye

Stella can't be the mother... Because Mom's name has to be "Tracey". In the Thanksgiving episode "Belly Full of Turkey", Future Ted ends the episode by telling his kids the stripper he introduces himself to at the Lusty Leopard is their mother... her name is Tracey. The kids respond as though they actually believe him.. would they have if their mother's name weren't Tracey?

May 22 2008 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alexmonty

What if.... Ted is telling them the story of how he met their biological mother but... it's not necessarily implicit to be his actual wife, may be he divorced her to marry Robin, or may be their mother died years ago. There is nothing that could contradict this since the kids probably knew Robin as an "aunt" before to be their step-mom, and they keep calling her "aunt Robin"

Robin didn't want to have kids, so in this case she kind of adopted 2 grown-up kids that she already knew. Besides we have invested too much time and emotions with Robin just to let her go that easy in order to meet a complete new girl.

May 09 2008 at 5:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to alexmonty's comment
Erin

I don't know who the mother is, but I think Robin and Barney end up together.

May 09 2008 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven

I think he is Uncle Ted and married to Aunt Robin.

We know that by his 31st birthday he is living with Robin.

If they are his kids and the year is 2030, he had them when he was 42, even though he met the mother when he was 30?

Although, Stella did say that the last time she went out was St. Patrick's day, so it could be her umbrella. If she has them at 18 or 20, they could be lucy's children and Stella's grandchildren.

I am inclined to guess that is it just a reused prop - not a clue. For clue like the umbrella, they make sure to point it out.

BUT, I don't think Robin would move in with him if he was still dating Stella (even so, I do like Sara Chalke as an actress)

May 08 2008 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AT

I don't think they'd give such a strong clue and we won't know the identity of the mother for a long time.

Good red herring though, and I look forward to reading what Bays and Thomas say about it.

May 08 2008 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I can only add one thing:

THIS ISN'T LOST!

This post is totally ridiculous. I mean really. Seriously. COME ON! Get a life. This show is on the brink of cancellation since it was first on the air and you think the producers/the prop department have time to take care of BS like this? I mean really. This is a sitcom, every hint will totally be in our faces. Of course if you are correct kudos to you but shouldn't we all be bothered more IF we get to see the revelation AT ALL instead of wondering whether there are little hints in the show to suggest who's the mother in the end?

And, to be honest, I don't really care about it either. I think the mother should be revealed in the LAST show. So again - let's cross our fingers they'll get another 4 seasons and have a definitive ending already in place.

Just a small hint at how money is saved on sitcoms (and how much that is necessary): On "The Game" they use the same set for the Pitts/Macks homes (!) and shoot from different angles. It's really ridiculous to watch and barely acceptable once you find this out (they lay out carpets and hang different frames but the room layout is the absolute same).

May 08 2008 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nihir

I've taken a closer look at the two scenes and I think it's safe to say the actual handwritten note may be the same, but the frame it's held in definitely isn't. In 2030, the handwritten note is framed with a picture. In 2008, it's in a single frame.

Based on that information, I'm inclined to believe that it was a prop decision rather than a clue.

Take a look at the screenshots I took:

CLOSE UP OF BOTH HANDWRITTEN NOTES:

THE LARGE SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON:

May 07 2008 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

You're right. That is useless trivia.

May 07 2008 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jds65

Third possibility that no one has mentioned -- are the kids even being told the story in Ted's house?

May 07 2008 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael

I don't think he's telling them the story with the actual names of all the people, if that were true they would know there mother's name. Having said that, both the kids would know that this particular person has a kid and then they would be able to do the math and figure out that the person Ted is talking about is their mother. Unless Ted makes a habit of dating woman with children.

May 07 2008 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

I suspect it is just a matter of using the same set props for multiple uses.

I don't think Stella is the mom.

Here is how I want it to go. On the last 5 minutes of the last episode Ted is broken and despondent. Robin is going overseas, Marshall/Lilly moving out and past him...Barney...well he gets a new wing man) and Ted breaks up with the girl of the season who we all thought was the one. Then going into something (the bar, whatever) he bumps into the girl (hey that's my umbrellas) or something like that. Show them talking and smiling...and voice over of Bob Saget saying that's how I met you mom. Then a photo scrapbook montage over the closing credits.

May 07 2008 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply