July 22, 2014

Is Project Runway going downhill?

by Annie Wu, posted May 7th 2008 5:23PM
Tim and HeidiEver since Season Three, I have been feeling a bit nervous about Project Runway. I didn't feel as strongly about the talent and I found myself becoming increasingly frustrated with the decisions and challenges in each episode. Of course, like any other lover of arty TV and sucker for punishment, I kept watching and even made it all the way through the travesty known as Season Four.

Then came the news that the show would be switching homes from Bravo to Lifetime. Despite having a few weeks to get over it, just saying it still makes me twitch. Seriously, I am smart enough to know that I am about twenty years too young to comfortably sit among the channel's main demographic. Sorry, Reba. With this change, I fully expect a turn for the worse in terms of quality and possibly even more tactlessly inserted product placements. Take Season Four for example: Having an accessories wall sponsored by BlueFly is one thing, but that Blockbuster nod in the RAW episode knocked me out of my seat, it was so heavy-handed. It doesn't seem like something above Lifetime.

And now here's even more information to make my hope for the show wither faster than the staying power of Christian Siriano's "fierce". It looks like Marie Claire magazine might take over for Elle in the Lifetime season. Major downgrade. When I think "fashion magazine", the likes of Vogue and Elle immediately pop into my mind, not Marie Claire. It feels more "grocery store mag rack" than "couture" to me.

All whining aside, there is a little bit of hope for Project Runway. It's all about the talent. If they continue down the path of the American Idol juggernaut and absolutely suck the fashion talent pool dry and exhaust our interest, the show will inevitably fail because it cannot live through a drop in quality, shift in audience and increasingly pathetic artists. However, if the creative minds turn back to Season One and Two and re-examine what it was that made the world fall in love with the show, things might be okay.

I was going to put something here about permanently turning TV "auf" in protest, but it made me want to punch myself in the face. Let's just say I did it and it was super-cute and punny.

Dickard

What do you mean??! This season was "fierce."

May 10 2008 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I love the show, but let's face it, ALL reality TV peaks and people get over it. The novelty is the big sell for it, and after awhile every season ends up being a rerun even when they throw in immunity idols and crap.

May 08 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chgosaint

This show is a fierce hot tranny mess!

May 08 2008 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

You forgot to mention they are also planning to move the show to LA with the Lifetime switch, which a lot of people have a problem with because LA is less fashion-centric than NY.

I enjoyed Season 4, and I am grateful we get one more Bravo season, because after that I think it is going to go downhill fast.

May 07 2008 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Liz's comment
tv junkie

they're only gonna be in LA for that 5th season (the 1st) on Lifetime because Mama Klum wonna spend more time with her family (and really, can u blame her, those cross-country flights are unbearable.) beside, the finale is still gonna be in NYC. from what i've gathered, the 6th season will be all new york. but honestly, i'm worry about the changes that are going to come (regardless of what Lifetime assured) in the coming seasons.

May 07 2008 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

The show peaked with season 2.

May 07 2008 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

the only thing more shocking than PR switching over to lifetime is that people are still obsessing over the blockbuster product placement... really... get over it.

Now this time next year, if lifetime is forcing deisgners to work with summer breeze and replaces nina garcia with reba we can come back and talk this over again

May 07 2008 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply