October 31, 2014

Scrubs: My Princess (season finale)

by Joel Keller, posted May 8th 2008 11:42PM
Scrubs: My Princess(S07E11) Well, that was a little confusing, wasn't it? Kelso is still in charge of the hospital, Keith is still around, and J.D. and Elliot are talking about their almost-kiss from the 6th season finale, something we thought they had gotten past awhile ago.

It was pretty obvious that, once NBC told Bill Lawrence that he couldn't make any more new episodes after the strike was over, there was a mutual decision to make "My Princess" the season (and, as it turns out, the NBC) finale. Problem was, since it was episode 709 (look it up at the NBCU Media Village site), some continuity problems would rear their heads.

Oh, well. Continuity was just a small problem with this episode. I will say this: any episode Zach Braff directs is going to be ambitious, and this was about as ambitious as Scrubs has gotten. But for some reason, I was expecting more from this Princess Bride homage than I got. It was funny in spots, but it could have been a whole lot funnier.

Why wasn't this funnier? Not sure... maybe it was because, between the introductory scenes that set up the fantasy, the scenes of Cox telling Jack the story, and the real-life scenes from the hospital that illustrated what Cox's story was all about, there just wasn't enough room to do a proper parody. What the writers and Braff were trying to do was not only transfer the characters from Sacred Heart to the medieval village of Sacred Heartia, but also try to parody the Rob Reiner classic at the same time. In trying to do both, they really didn't do either.

Hmm... it could have just been because the fantasy came from Cox instead of from J.D. You know J.D.'s fantasies are... um... a bit more colorful. And in them, he's not an idiot. I will give the writers credit for not having Cox save the day in his own story; it was the Village Idiot (J.D.) and the Princess (Elliot) thwarting the monster / finding the diagnosis. He also acknowledged that they were both being idiots for determining their almost-kiss meant nothing. Seems like Percival's old softie side is coming out more and more these days.

Scrubs: My PrincessSo, what parts of the fantasy did I like? We needed more Giant (Janitor) and Toadie (Ted). I mean, who doesn't like hearing about Giant's taste for toddlers and Toadie's self-esteem issues? Tarla (Turk / Carla) were OK, but the CGI used to paste on both their heads was a bit distracting (as you can see on the left, the body belonged to Donald Faison). Maybe it's because the Turkeltons' two-headed relationship-expert shtick hasn't been seen in a couple of years, and it was weird to bring it back just for the purposes of setting up the Tarla character (and, by the way, Tarla has one ball because they're sharing a body, I guess; we didn't know about Turk's damaged cajone until later... maybe it was supposed to be a hint). We also needed to see more Lord Oslek (Kelso), just because I always want to see more of Ken Jenkins.

More fun stuff:

• Kelso sitting in his office pantless. By the way, even if it was out of order, it was nice to see Mean Bob back for a week. We haven't seen nearly enough of that over the last few weeks.
  • Idiot / J.D.'s secret hair care ingredient: "More manure!"
  • Poor Keith. Where did he go, anyway? It seemed like he just disappeared after Elliot dumped him.
  • Aloma Wright pops up again as Nurse Shirley. Are we going to find out about her in season eight?
  • Telling line at the end of the episode. When Jordan asks Cox if the patient got a liver: "That's the way I'm tellin' it." We should know that there aren't always happy endings at Sacred Heart.
  • Everyone now freezes until The Todd gets confused and walks away. I'm surprised they didn't think of that earlier.
  • "My name is Percival Cox. You hurt my friend. Prepare to die." A classic line, remade Scrubs-style.
So the abbreviated seventh season is over. Braff acknowledged on his blog that they're in production on season eight already, so we'll be seeing the gang this fall on ABC. I'm really curious how they're going to pull this off; we were seven episodes away from the end of the show, and now we're eighteen away once again. Hopefully, those extra eleven episodes will be funny and not some Bataan Death March to the resolution of the J.D. / Elliot situation. That's something none of us need.

Who was your favorite Sacred Heartia character?
The Giant (Janitor)342 (30.2%)
Village Idiot (J.D.)226 (20.0%)
The Princess (Elliot)115 (10.2%)
Dark Lord Oslek (Kelso)158 (14.0%)
Toadie (Ted)63 (5.6%)
Tarla (Turk / Carla)84 (7.4%)
Fairy (The Todd)144 (12.7%)

Jacqueline

I think that it was an OK, episode, not great, bt not as abd as you make it out to be. But I was very confused..about Dr. Kelso, about nurse Shirley, about verything. Plus the paradody part kind-of let me down, I REALLY love princess bride..and this was not it.

May 19 2008 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I didn't hate it as much as everyone (or most) on here seemed to. I thought it was enjoyable, if not perfect. The continuity was frustrating (blame NBC) but when I re-watch it on DVD down the line, it'll be in the correct order. I thought it lived up to the standard set by "My Yellow Brick Road" and "My Musical" for the most part, though I don't know how much of a parody of TPB it was rather than just taking place in a similar world.

May 10 2008 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I have not enjoyed this season, but I thought this episode was well done and quite entertaining. I was thrown by the continuity (particularly with Kelso), but that is a minor quibble for an episode that worked on many other levels.

That said, I don't know if I will be following the show to ABC. I think it's time to let it go.

May 10 2008 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lsa

i love it though it was wonderfull ....loved the end with cox and jordan best scrubs couple hands down

May 10 2008 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly Seigler

What was the last line Dr. Cox said? We rewound and rewound and couldn't understand it.

May 09 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kelly Seigler's comment
Ben Belden

I think it was something along the lines of "That's how I'm telling the story," in response to Jordan's question of whether the girl really lived, which basically meant that unlike the story, she didn't have a happy ending.

May 09 2008 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I couldn't even watch this mess. About midway through I just fast forwarded and hopped to The Office. I guess the humor of this show just wore a bit too thin for me over the years, so that when a particularly weak episode comes along it's best just to skip it. Too bad this particularly weak episode had to be its (NBC) finale.

I was going to have a comment similar to what Pierre-Luc Allie says above, but not even Dr. Elliot in a princess dress was enough to make me sit through this. Making Sarah Chalke look gorgeous in a pink dress is very easy. Putting together a script to make this show funny again apparently isn't.

May 09 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Mighty

That was the worst episode of Scrubs I have ever seen. The past two seasons of Scrubs have been huge misteps. Did J.D last week learn the exact same lesson he learn't a few backs, about makingtime for Elliot? And why are all the characters so over the top? J.D may have been playing the village idiot in the homage stuff, but that is pretty much how he plays the character all the time. Everyone on that show are charactatures of what they used to be. Everything about Scrubs these days it OTT. I esspecially can't stand the music cues they use in the show. Whenever there's a joke, WACKY MUSIC. Whenever they cut to the next scene, WACKY MUSIC. I think this all started back when Scrubs did the sictom episode. They may have been making fun of sictcoms in that episode, but ever since then the characters have been acting the exact same way. It's a shame, Scrubs was once my number one show. Now I don't ever care what happens to the people in it. Apart from a few good laughs, it isn't worth watching. I just hope they bring back the quality next season.

May 09 2008 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtrain

Blame NBC for airing the episode out of order... just one more instance where they have shown their disregard for Scrubs.

The episodes that have been completed for season 8 so far are much closer to the first two or three seasons of the show and are some of the best episodes in a long time. Look forward to it.

May 09 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dtrain's comment
Dan

Out of curiousity, how do you know about this? Are they available to see yet?

May 09 2008 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jayr2345

Honestly I think that they could have re- edited this episode to take out the Kelso part and filled it with something else, because Kelso didn't even have that big of a part in the real world or the fantasy world, and it would have cleared up the continuity issue. Knowing that this episode was just pretty much supposed to be a mid - season throw away episode really made it hard to accept as the season finale. I think the episode before this could have made a more acceptable season finale. It just felt kind of lazy on the shows part. It was kind of like, well we kicked out of NBC lets just show this episode and get the hell out of here.

May 09 2008 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jayr2345's comment
dtrain

re-editing wouldn't have been possible. the remaining episodes of season 7 were completed before the strike. it was NBC that decided to mess everything up.

May 09 2008 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I am a huge fan of TPB and I didn't realize this episode was supposed to be an homage.
The continuity issues bothered me, but there were some funny moments. I doubt they have another full season worth of funny left in these stories. They need a quality finale and ride off into the sunset.
Favorite moment:
Cox to Eliot: "Princess..."
Cox to JD :"Princess..."