September 16, 2014

Yo Gabba Gabba! goes with pot - VIDEO

by Anna Johns, posted May 8th 2008 4:23PM
yo gabba gabbaThere is a hilarious article on the ABC News website about that unusual kids' show on Nick Jr., called Yo Gabba Gabba! Apparently it's not a huge hit with the target demographic--kids--but it is a hit with the 20-something stoner crowd. According to the report, college students gather to watch Yo Gabba Gabba! several times a week. For many, it's the perfect accompaniment to a joint. This probably only happens at one school, but ABC has decided to make it sound like a growing trend.

Tracie Egan of Jezebel.com says, "It's a good stoner television show because it's not difficult to understand since it's made for children and there are lots of bright colors and good music."

For the non-stoner crowd, that comment about good music is true. The show features a lot of indie acts and "alternative" music. For instance, The Shins are going to perform on the May 23rd episode of Yo Gabba Gabba!

I've seen several episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba!, and while I've never thought of getting stoned to watch it, I did wonder whether the entire staff gets stoned to make it.

I've embedded a clip from the show of Elijah Wood dancing the Numa Numa song:

[Via TV Tattle]

froggirl

I have a 2 yr old that enjoys this show. I have seen that episode. The video is not fake, but I actually like it better with the music they dubbed it to. :)

May 08 2008 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

Being that the show is created by the singer of the Aquabats it's really no surprise that it doesn't make any sense.

May 08 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I miss getting stoned and watching Beavis & Butthead. Those were the days.

May 08 2008 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I let my kid watch it - both of us highly approve of friendly robots. But to the point, most children's TV goes good with drugs. Children's TV is bizarre, brightly-colored, slow-talking, and visually zany - stuff liked by both preverbals and stoners. Besides, this floats around with every popular kids show. I remember they said that what propelled Teletubbies to success was that club kids in Britain would watch it after they came home at 7 in the morning as an accompaniment to their drug comedowns.

May 08 2008 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Thank God! Mr Garrison was getting bored of Teletubbies

May 08 2008 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hochler

I think that video is fake, and the song was added on by the YouTube uploader. Check the description:

"Video footage of Elijah Wood's dancy dance on Yo Gabba Gabba arranged to the song Dragostea Din Tei by O-Zone.

I do not own this video footage or the song Dragostea Din Tei; I just took two minutes to throw them together for kicks and giggles."

Probably doesn't matter much, just thought you'd want to know since the clip is supposed to represent the show.

May 08 2008 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Hochler's comment
david

video... fake? How is the video fake?? They maybe dubbed a different song over the top of it but even if... .. i just dont get it. The clip represents the show just fine.

MY NAME IS NATHANIEL!!!!!!!!!!!
AND I LIKE TO DAAAAAANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 08 2008 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hochler

That's why I said it probably doesn't matter much. :P

MY NAME IS SETH!!!!!!!!!!!
AND I LIKE TO DAAAAAANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 08 2008 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply